Is the Globe growing on you?

Re: Is the Globe growing on you?

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 am

Talking about the scoreboard I was really hoping there would be a bit of humour with it. Maybe a shrimp running across it waving its feelers about when we score and an unhappy bunny when we concede :(

Having said that the Shrimps may become redundant and the rabbits would be at it in the mounds in the car park :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:The Globe is not growing on me at all. The crowds are plummeting fast, well under 2,000 home supporters at the game yesterday. A Saturday with decent weather and a fair distance from husbands being dragged Christmas shopping, cause for concern. This may have something to do with the performances on the pitch, I hope that it does as that can quickly be fixed. We could quite easily be getting lower crowds in our brand new stadium than those we were getting at christie very soon indeed. More champagne and peanuts, less fans. Not what the board intended I'm sure when they spent £12 million on a three-sided ground that has restictef viewing and a shit home end.

The attendance was 2,085 yesturday and we have not had a gate under 2,000 yet this season which I belive is a record for MFC.

By this time last season we had already had two gates of more than 200 under our current 'lowest'.

We got more than 1,000 more fans v Shrewsbury this year (okay, it was 'quid a kid' this time but even so..) and more than 800 more v Bury.

I think we can agree crowds HAVE improved by a few hundred - the worry is how that will slip if we don't go on a decent run like we did last season.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ezz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Having such a boring/disappointing season so far doesn't help, when we beat Coventry and had games against Burnley lets face it, it was much better than CP.
I'm sure if we had Chesterfields record at their new ground everyone would love the Globe, regardless of the poor food service :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby trojan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:13 pm

The barriers aren't painted because people would have gnawed off the paint by now with some of the drivel served up as "football" this season. A prime example being saturdays game where effort was there but no passion. Perhaps a sign of the Globe atmosphere downturn?
At least the new scoreboard keeps us informed after we wake up from our mid half snooze in our comfy stand seats.
Last edited by trojan on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trojan

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 pm

I used to be able to put my brew on the barriers in the North Stand because they were flat tops.

I can't do that now in the MBW ......... !!! :lol:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Dysie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 pm

As someone that is fortunate to be a member of the 'match-day staff' and have been able to access & see most of the flagship PMG stand, I feel humble that many MFC fans who's only experience of the Globe Arena is from their seat in that stand or stood in the MBW or North Terrace because of all it's other 'faults' documented, they aren't able to appreciate the good of the stadium. As you enter from the concourse from the W&L suite (just as the teams emerge from the tunnel) it really does give the feel of being at a top league football match. The warrior type music, buliding up to crescendo etc does work from there and although I appreciate it comes at the most expensive ticket price to witness it, perhaps some whom haven't yet, may consider trying it in the future and then truly appreicate what has been created at the Globe in certain quarters. Don't get me wrong however much a supporter is paying to watch they are the life-blood of the club to my way of thinking and having stood in both the MBW & the North Terrace, I prefer the NT (weather permitting). Though it's damned good to view from the PMG as well.

BTW.... I miss CP as much as anyone but it opens as Sainsburys this week .... and I still get a gut-wrench feeling as I drive past the old place ...
Dysie

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 am

what matchday job do you have dysie, that allows you to wander unfettered around the stadium with a lump in your throat (peanuts perchance) waxing lyrical about ou average ground :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Dragofly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I think the Ground is very well planned, and in keeping with the times. The government has recently announced its Austerity Package for those with no private income or other means of support. It is therefore with great foresight that the club has “Themed” the ground with Austerity very much in mind. What could evoke the feeling of the times more than queuing in the rain at the back of the home end, or eating a pie in the opulent surroundings of a boiler room? Genius. Forcing people to tighten their belts by making sure that they have nothing to spend money on during the game is also a worthy and well thought out measure.
Dragofly

Postby shrimper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 pm

:lol: :lol:

Dragofly for MP!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Having said that the Shrimps may become redundant and the rabbits would be at it in the mounds in the car park :lol:

In the middle ages when rabbit warrens were constructed as an easy food source, the monks would have gone bonkers for a mound such as that outside the stadium. Business opportunity there methinks :lol:
Caged Lion

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:36 pm

Dragofly wrote:I think the Ground is very well planned, and in keeping with the times. The government has recently announced its Austerity Package for those with no private income or other means of support. It is therefore with great foresight that the club has “Themed” the ground with Austerity very much in mind. What could evoke the feeling of the times more than queuing in the rain at the back of the home end, or eating a pie in the opulent surroundings of a boiler room? Genius. Forcing people to tighten their belts by making sure that they have nothing to spend money on during the game is also a worthy and well thought out measure.

Finally...summat to laugh about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caged Lion

Postby Bryan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:28 pm

The Prawn Sandwich brigade have ruined it. The MBW stand is a piss take to all hardcore Morecambe fans. It should be twice as big, incorporating a bar inside undercover along with food sales etc. All the money's gone on the Main Stand with very little (in fact no thought) at all for the home standing fans. Didn't anyone actually think to even provide a simply awning or cover outside the bar at the back? No atmosphere at The Globe? Look no further than the fact that they got the design of the MBW stand so wrong. Yes we have to get revenue in via corporate boxes etc. But the fans are the lifeblood of any club and they are taking the piss with the MBW. Also it would help if the manager played more positive footie at home. What a let down this season is turning into... :(
Bryan

Postby stevanshrimp » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 pm

And;....... The laughing stops!! :x
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:59 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:The attendance was 2,085 yesturday and we have not had a gate under 2,000 yet this season which I belive is a record for MFC.

Total attendance less away fans gives you less than 2,000 home fans. I'm not surprised you missed that.

Christies Child wrote:
How many more times do you need to be told.... :?: :?: :?:

The land in front of the Arena is for 'A hotel development probably Premier Inns' and the other side 'A drive in take away........'

Planning permission has already been given, so that is one hurdle out of the way. Now that the Stadium is open, I'm sure that our Commercial Team are already working on securing deals for the land.

I wasn't aware I've been told at all, infact I've been fairly quite about this.

Probably Premier Inns? Have you dreamt this up or is it actually happening?

A drive in take-away? Less of the specifics please....

How can planning permission have been awarded when interested parties have not even come forward yet with designs for the build? Perhaps we've been granted permission to build on the land, but not outright detailed planning permission as we don't even know what exactly is being built there. I think your argument lacks substance, do you work in sales or marketing by any chance???

This of course is aside from my point which you missed: I think it will be difficult to attract companies who have to build their own business units and then have to pay a rent to MFC, especially at the moment. There are already many empty business units across Lancaster & Morecambe. Also, why would you want to build anything there? The club are already experiencing that there is little passing trade on non-matchdays, the bar is empty even on matchdays unless there is a decent 12 o'clock sky match.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the land is eventually turned into a supermarket, which would be good for parking. Either way, it is a long while off IMO. In the meantime the club should look at grassing the approach to make it look tidier and also stop the local travelling community turning it into a home from home.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:17 pm

As I understand it the club has received outline planning consent for a hotel, a fast-food restaurant outlet and other retail outlets which allows them to market it thus with any interested parties reassured that they won't have any major planning obstacles to those kinds of development there.

As you say, any detailed planning permission would have to wait for someone to come along, buy or lease the land, then submit detailed proposals - but outline consent is an important step and that's been granted.
shrimper

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Is The Globe pencilled in to be a potential concert venue then too ??

(Despite the inaccurate mapping of the location!!)

http://www.safeconcerts.com/venues/more ... obe-arena/
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:The attendance was 2,085 yesturday and we have not had a gate under 2,000 yet this season which I belive is a record for MFC.

Total attendance less away fans gives you less than 2,000 home fans. I'm not surprised you missed that.

The avarage attendance at the Globe so far this season is higher than last season at Christie Park also we only got more than 2,000 home fans last season for the big games so not sure what point you are trying to make when you say attendances are 'plummeting fast' because they are if fact up from last season.
heysham_mfc

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Attendances are up in spite of results, brilliant, results are bad in spite of attendance,damn :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:43 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Attendances are up in spite of results, brilliant, results are bad in spite of attendance,damn :!:

Less people did make more noise tho
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion