O/T Solar power

O/T Solar power

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

With so much talk these days about alternative heat and power options, I wondered, with a lot of clubs looking at new stadia if they have ever considered using the vast expance of roof space to be used as a means of heat source by installing solar panels? Imagine the number that could be installed on the main stand roof at our new stadium for example.

Although the cost may be high initially, over the life time of a stadium I'm sure it would be recovered.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Solar power

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm

ffs this really lowers your bar on the board post threshold, non of the stands are going to be heated anyway but if they were the sensible option would be wind power, with you providing the wind/ hot air :lol:

what about the roofless stand, maybe if everyone who got a flat telly this xmas donated their old big telly they were gonna flytip we could aim the screens skyward forming a telly roof :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 pm

.....tell me....how is water heated in some energy saving homes these days????????

I assume that there will be a need for some hot water......somewhere!
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm

the sean oconner stadium will not be a home, it will be a lower league football ground inhabited 2 hours a fortnight, not a kettle in sight :lol: :lol:

if solar panelled roofs were an option prem teams would all have them :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 am

Although initially a 'wacky' (like most of CC's) post, it isn't such a bad idea. Perhaps not solar power given our tundra climate, but other renewable energy schemes cold be a possibility (and obstacles given the residential area where the stadium is being built). Large manufacturing companies have been looking at the feasibility of such projects. Any excess energy generated can effectively be sold to the grid, also I'm sure there would be certain tax benefits in producing renewable energy.
RedRedWine1

Postby ezz » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am

mrpotatohead wrote:ffs this really lowers your bar on the board post threshold, non of the stands are going to be heated anyway but if they were the sensible option would be wind power, with you providing the wind/ hot air :lol:

what about the roofless stand, maybe if everyone who got a flat telly this xmas donated their old big telly they were gonna flytip we could aim the screens skyward forming a telly roof :roll:

Considering you too post a load of tosh why not get over yourself and say something worthwhile towards the topic.

I don't think solar power would work too well seeing as most says are cloudy (except today with a horrible glaring sun that gave no heat :(
Wind power would be the obvious one, but then who would want windmills on the top of our stands, wouldn't look to aesthetically pleasing :lol:
Sadly I dont think any will be used on stadia in the near future.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:28 am

RedRedWine wrote:Although initially a 'wacky' (like most of CC's) post, it isn't such a bad idea. Perhaps not solar power given our tundra climate, but other renewable energy schemes cold be a possibility (and obstacles given the residential area where the stadium is being built). Large manufacturing companies have been looking at the feasibility of such projects. Any excess energy generated can effectively be sold to the grid, also I'm sure there would be certain tax benefits in producing renewable energy.

I'll have to look it up when I get back from work, but I thought solar power only heated up water and didn't actually produce electrical energy?
I would have thought that with technology today, they (solar panels) could be made to be effective from daylight rather than having to have sun actually shining directly onto them.
Like I said I'll have to look it up later, intrigued.
morecambe mick

Postby ockers » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 am

morecambe mick wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:Although initially a 'wacky' (like most of CC's) post, it isn't such a bad idea. Perhaps not solar power given our tundra climate, but other renewable energy schemes cold be a possibility (and obstacles given the residential area where the stadium is being built). Large manufacturing companies have been looking at the feasibility of such projects. Any excess energy generated can effectively be sold to the grid, also I'm sure there would be certain tax benefits in producing renewable energy.

I'll have to look it up when I get back from work, but I thought solar power only heated up water and didn't actually produce electrical energy?
I would have thought that with technology today, they (solar panels) could be made to be effective from daylight rather than having to have sun actually shining directly onto them.
Like I said I'll have to look it up later, intrigued.

we need this guy on the case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QrelL9fOjY
ockers

Postby Stewie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:52 am

So tell me, how much hot water does your Solar powered calculator produce?
Stewie

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:36 am

Within 5 years if not sooner, some new stadia somewhere will be making use of new technologies to over time reduce their heat and energy costs.......be it solar panels or smaller wind turbines for examples, it will happen.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:46 am

morecambe mick wrote:

There's two types of solar panels - one used to heat water, one to convert the suns energy to electricty. They have posh names, but I don't know what they are :oops:
campdave

Postby CASS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:14 am

http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby campdave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

And on a smaller scale, Dartford have built a sustainable stadium:

http://www.dartford.gov.uk/princespark/
campdave

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:49 am

mrpotatohead wrote:ffs this really lowers your bar on the board post threshold, non of the stands are going to be heated anyway but if they were the sensible option would be wind power, with you providing the wind/ hot air :lol:

WHAT!? I was expecting something a bit more from the club heated seats and half time beers and a free portion of pie peas and gravy :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:57 am

heysham_mfc wrote:

WHAT!? I was expecting something a bit more from the club heated seats and half time beers and a free portion of pie peas and gravy :lol:

Don't be silly.

I've been contracted by the club to provide enough 'hot air' to keep everybody happy... 8-)
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Stewie wrote:

If you are going to quote someone quote all it and highlight bit you want.

Like I said I would have to look it up, check the time of the post :!:

When I said "produce electricity" I meant, but didn't say "enough to sell back" I've heard of wind turbines doing just that, but not small scale/domestic solar panels.
My calculater uses batteries - smart arse. :x
morecambe mick

Postby pompeyred » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:05 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
Stewie wrote:

If you are going to quote someone quote all it and highlight bit you want.

Like I said I would have to look it up, check the time of the post :!:

When I said "produce electricity" I meant, but didn't say "enough to sell back" I've heard of wind turbines doing just that, but not small scale/domestic solar panels.
My calculater uses batteries - smart arse. :x

I am currently looking into ground source heating for my home with the heat pump being power by solar generation. Through this I am also looking at running my house on solar electric. It is an expensive initial outlay (£15-20k which is why I am also researching grants) but if I get it up and running I will never again have to pay a gas or electricity bill as well as adding a substantial amount to the value of my property.

In terms of the electrical generation there are 2 options. You either install batteries and sell the excess back to the national grid or you can be a supplier and sell everything you generate to the grid and but buy back your electric at a reduced rate to save the need for storage. Either way, much as I dont usually agree with CC, I think that this is a brilliant idea to not only gain some good publicity for the club by being the first(?) league club to do this but I think that the savings for the club would probably be substantial and they may even qualify for funding in this current climate (no pun intended). I also think that ground source heating would be well worth looking into for them.
pompeyred

Postby Christies Child » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 pm

I am currently looking into ground source heating for my home with the heat pump being power by solar generation. Through this I am also looking at running my house on solar electric. It is an expensive initial outlay (£15-20k which is why I am also researching grants) but if I get it up and running I will never again have to pay a gas or electricity bill as well as adding a substantial amount to the value of my property.

In terms of the electrical generation there are 2 options. You either install batteries and sell the excess back to the national grid or you can be a supplier and sell everything you generate to the grid and but buy back your electric at a reduced rate to save the need for storage. Either way, much as I dont usually agree with CC, I think that this is a brilliant idea to not only gain some good publicity for the club by being the first(?) league club to do this but I think that the savings for the club would probably be substantial and they may even qualify for funding in this current climate (no pun intended). I also think that ground source heating would be well worth looking into for them.[/quote]

....and that for me is the obvious benefit. OK it will probably take 10 years to pay for the installation over and above the more traditional method but after that a life time of free power! If funds had allowed, now would have been the time to invest.

What cudos for the club in being the first league club to go down this route of energy conservation. :) :) :)
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Ground source heating :)
I watched a program YEARS ago about building a concept house with ground source heating in it. I, like the presenter, didn't believe it would work, but it did! :o
This must have been over twenty years ago and quite often I've reminisced about it - usually when the bills come in :lol:

A very deep hole is drilled and a water pipe is doubled over and shoved down the hole - simplistically ;)
morecambe mick

Postby Mighty Red » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

A very deep hole is drilled and a water pipe is doubled over and shoved down the hole - simplistically

I know who I'd like to double over and shove down a deep hole!

Is it:

1 AA
2 BB
3 CC
4 DD
Mighty Red

Postby pompeyred » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Mighty Red wrote:
A very deep hole is drilled and a water pipe is doubled over and shoved down the hole - simplistically

I know who I'd like to double over and shove down a deep hole!

Is it:

1 AA
2 BB
3 CC
4 DD

5 JJ
pompeyred

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:36 pm

The Visitor this week reported that the Council have expressed concern about the clubs Carbon Footprint which some of you may have read.

Seems my post about Solar Panels which received quite a bit of flack at the time, would have partially answered the councils concerns. In fact, I should have included as an additional suggestion a wind turbine as a means to the club becoming increasingly reliant on generating its own power. At last nights Res game, a fellow supporter actually suggested this himself having also read the Visitor report.

:?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Grand Designs was on last night.
durhamshrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:48 am

Just to support CC, we've helped a client of ours raise £40 million to fund the installation of solar panels (photovoltaics) across the UK. One potential project is covering the roof of a Premiership clubs stands. A move that would pay their leccy bills and give them a substantial income from selling excess to the National Grid.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:53 am

It's like the Uni wanting this wind turbine one of the biggest plus points and the main reason they are trying for it again after been knocked back the first time is because of this carbon tax that was sneaked in by the government it will cut the tax they have to pay dramatically, something which will surly affect the club as well.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Next

Return to General Discussion