Off-Topic, Not-Football - Lancaster Fireworks

Off-Topic, Not-Football - Lancaster Fireworks

Postby Gnasher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

When I find the right person to email, the following will be going off to the council:

I am a keen amateur photographer and this year decided to get to get down to Salt Ayr early for a decent space so I arrived about 6pm to a deserted viewing area, apart from lone funfair operators and council stewards. I set up my camera listening to The Bay blasting out of the sound system. By 7pm a few more people had turned up and the radio had been re-tuned to Radio Lancs, noticeably very much quieter than The Bay. By 8pm the place had filled up and we strained to hear the countdown broadcast live from Ryelands Park. From that point on I heard very little music and far too much advertising for Radio Lancs. The advertising along with a live interview during the display came over loud and clear yet the music could hardly be heard when they stopped talking.

I also have a suggestion, move the display to Morecambe. You closed the best viewing area at the Castle (maybe not the best actual view but add in the atmosphere and you get the best) in favour of local parks dispersed around the area. As I have said, the sound at Salt Ayr was non-existent and you had two small funfairs split across two parks with nothing official in the other areas.

Morecambe is far better suited to putting on a firework display. Perfect backdrop, the bay. Perfect launching pad, the stone jetty. Perfect viewing area, the promenade – it even comes with it’s own safety barriers! Plenty of parking and if I remember correctly from previous Light & Water displays, you would also be able to cable the sound along the promenade to speaker points and not have to rely on a radio station. Finally, a ready-made hard standing area for a funfair and The Platform for any associated events.

Move the display to Morecambe, you know it makes sense
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Re: Off-Topic, Not-Football - Lancaster Fireworks

Postby ockers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 pm

make sure you do Brian
perhaps the mayor might be reading this too
agree with every word!!
ockers

Postby Gnasher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:09 pm

It will definitely go Sean but I'm trying to find the right contact rather than send to customer service and rely on them forwarding it. On my way out of Salt Ayr, I think I saw some people being handed survey forms. If anyone has one, does it have any contact details?
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby ockers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Gnasher wrote:It will definitely go Sean but I'm trying to find the right contact rather than send to customer service and rely on them forwarding it. On my way out of Salt Ayr, I think I saw some people being handed survey forms. If anyone has one, does it have any contact details?

Forget Customer Services as they will just receipt and then allocate to an officer who will do nothing else with it
I’d also write to the local press and petition your local councillor again as it’s a very good point youre making its councillors who make the decisions and the more people who contact them on it and get the local radio stations on its case as well
Facebook petitions seem to be taken notice by council communication teams these days judging by the number of staff who want access to facebook and twitter
Whilst theyre at it they may want to think about getting sponsors for the event too if they haven’t already I hadn’t checked
Morecambe is the perfect venue for the reasons you’ve described and it’s the safest and best for entertainment
ockers

Postby ockers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm

forgot to say not sure where we could have the bonfire but in th ecurrent climate i could think of a few council members who we could throw on it
ockers

Postby Gnasher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm

A blog post tweeted to a few accounts which I know are followed by various local organisations should do the trick. A facebook petition sounds good as well, what better to do with 3 days holiday from tomorrow?
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:48 pm

If the Morecambe Town Council wanted to go ahead with a fireword display from the Stone Jetty there should be plenty of businesses etc that would wish to provide sponsorship.

Would the City Council try and obstruct it ?
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Should have gone to Quay Meadow. Right under the finale, best view in town, two cracking pubs and no bureaucracy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby MfcChris » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Maybe change Salt Ayr to Salt Ayre ;)
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Harry » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Posh wrote:Should have gone to Quay Meadow. Right under the finale, best view in town, two cracking pubs and no bureaucracy.

Best bonfire night parties too if memory serves ;)
Harry

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Harry wrote:
Posh wrote:Should have gone to Quay Meadow. Right under the finale, best view in town, two cracking pubs and no bureaucracy.

Best bonfire night parties too if memory serves ;)

Twas indeed. I remember your mum's Icelandic cultural attachee friend. "We don't have many friends here." 13 year old son, "We have Jesus though mummy!".

Planet River Street. Loved it
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Gnasher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Have your own say about the firework displays, open until Nov 19th:

http://consultation.web-labs.co.uk/lanc ... nList.aspx
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby captain sparkle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Done!
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Me too and for what it's worth I'm in favour of it being held on the Stone Jetty and have said so.

Ample parking and much better viewing positions.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Gnasher wrote:When I find the right person to email, the following will be going off to the council:

I am a keen amateur photographer and this year decided to get to get down to Salt Ayr early for a decent space so I arrived about 6pm to a deserted viewing area, apart from lone funfair operators and council stewards. I set up my camera listening to The Bay blasting out of the sound system. By 7pm a few more people had turned up and the radio had been re-tuned to Radio Lancs, noticeably very much quieter than The Bay. By 8pm the place had filled up and we strained to hear the countdown broadcast live from Ryelands Park. From that point on I heard very little music and far too much advertising for Radio Lancs. The advertising along with a live interview during the display came over loud and clear yet the music could hardly be heard when they stopped talking.

I also have a suggestion, move the display to Morecambe. You closed the best viewing area at the Castle (maybe not the best actual view but add in the atmosphere and you get the best) in favour of local parks dispersed around the area. As I have said, the sound at Salt Ayr was non-existent and you had two small funfairs split across two parks with nothing official in the other areas.

Morecambe is far better suited to putting on a firework display. Perfect backdrop, the bay. Perfect launching pad, the stone jetty. Perfect viewing area, the promenade – it even comes with it’s own safety barriers! Plenty of parking and if I remember correctly from previous Light & Water displays, you would also be able to cable the sound along the promenade to speaker points and not have to rely on a radio station. Finally, a ready-made hard standing area for a funfair and The Platform for any associated events.

Move the display to Morecambe, you know it makes sense

For once Gnasher, I agree with you.
Sammy h

Postby Gnasher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Don't tell me you think the move is a good idea, tell the council using their feedback form, please.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Gnasher wrote:Don't tell me you think the move is a good idea, tell the council using their feedback form, please.

Already done, don't you worry your little cotton socks.
Sammy h

Postby ezz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:37 pm

The display was awful, best part used to be the fact there was a bonfire to at least provide some heat. Watching it from outside the office block on the one way system back into morecambe wasn't too bad.....till a bus or lorry went past.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Bolton le Sands fireworks and bonfire were brilliant, best yet.
The lads there did a cracking display
SimplyRed MFC

Postby Sammy h » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 pm

SimplyRed MFC wrote:Bolton le Sands fireworks and bonfire were brilliant, best yet.
The lads there did a cracking display

Agreed, I was at this. £8 for two people though, we was only there an hour :lol:
Sammy h

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:35 am

So was everyone else. it only was on for slightly over an hour !
SimplyRed MFC

Postby Richard Head » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am

Excellent display at Ripley School, £3 per person and it was actually on bonfire night unlike the other displays
Richard Head

Return to General Discussion