call for Refs to get relegated & promoted?

call for Refs to get relegated & promoted?

Postby George Dawes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 pm

this is one of the best ideas i have ever heard in football a relegation system for referee's by Tony Pulis -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 167551.stm

and not only could you have referee's dropping down the leagues they work in but there pay aswell in that way they have more incentive just like footballers trying to reach the top of there game and when you consider all the daft money being thrown about in the premier league the thankless job a referee does makes very good sense to me for everybody concerned in football
George Dawes

Re: should Refs get relegated & promoted?

Postby Duffman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't know where to start with it really, it's a terrible idea. Managers rating referee's? That would have to include Neil Warnock who criticises the referee almost every game, win or lose.

A good ref for one manager is bad for another for example Arsene Wenger is always moaning about his players not getting adequate protection yet some managers say the physical game is disappearing from modern football. If one ref allows play to flow and is happy for tough tackling to take place then some managers will applaud him whilst others will criticise.

Also, if a ref's wage and position are going to be affected by managers, what happens if he's in charge of a game towards the end of the season involving a manager who may have criticised him earlier in the season? Does that ref try and even it out to get a good report or do the noble thing and accept the criticism and take a pay cut.

Referee's will never get a 100% and long may it continue (something to talk about). Making brave calls and using common sense makes a good referee in my opinion.
Duffman

Re: call for Refs to get relegated & promoted?

Postby alwaysright » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

I think refs get away very lightly, they never get held accountable for the blaring mistakes they make, they never have to explain the decissions they make, and if a manager speaks out about them they get fined.
alwaysright

Re: should Refs get relegated & promoted?

Postby George Dawes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Duffman wrote:I don't know where to start with it really, it's a terrible idea. Managers rating referee's? That would have to include Neil Warnock who criticises the referee almost every game, win or lose.

A good ref for one manager is bad for another for example Arsene Wenger is always moaning about his players not getting adequate protection yet some managers say the physical game is disappearing from modern football. If one ref allows play to flow and is happy for tough tackling to take place then some managers will applaud him whilst others will criticise.

Also, if a ref's wage and position are going to be affected by managers, what happens if he's in charge of a game towards the end of the season involving a manager who may have criticised him earlier in the season? Does that ref try and even it out to get a good report or do the noble thing and accept the criticism and take a pay cut.

Referee's will never get a 100% and long may it continue (something to talk about). Making brave calls and using common sense makes a good referee in my opinion.

1) referees cant use common sense(like in the good old days) they have to go by the letter of the law.

2) who's to say the referees score wont be based on good decisions aswell? and also who's to say they cant see the report untill the end of the season for in order to stop them trying to even out bad feedback?

3) certainly worth looking at than just poo pooing it like your suggesting without even looking into a sensible system what could allow it to be successful.
George Dawes

Postby Duffman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm

It should be decided by ex-pro's or managers without a club if it was to be brought in, not by current managers. I'm a firm believer in a good referee is one you don't remember or notice during a game. Ref's are under enough pressure without being put under even more by managers. Agree to disagree but I think Pulis is clutching at straws and Redknapp (who's backed him up) is still bitter about the United game.
Duffman

Postby matty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Am sure that managers used to be able to rate the refereesbut it stopped not long after a manager admitted that if a ref was shit he'd give him top marks so as to help get him
promoted to another league and then mark down the good ones so thy were around for longer.
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 pm

very few ex pros go down the poacher turned gamekeeper route, every losing manager would give the officials bad scores, refs are rated by an indie 4th official anyway, and pullis is a cock, oh i just spoiled my sensible answer, damn. unbrilliant, no, unbrilliant :cry:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby MancShrimp » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:11 pm

It would be interesting to have Refs interviewed after the match just like players and managers are.

They can then justify their decisions and explain why they made them. I for one would like a ref to explain why he made a certain decision. At least then the public can look at it from the Refs point of view?
MancShrimp

Postby George Dawes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 pm

MancShrimp wrote:It would be interesting to have Refs interviewed after the match just like players and managers are.

They can then justify their decisions and explain why they made them. I for one would like a ref to explain why he made a certain decision. At least then the public can look at it from the Refs point of view?

am not sure if it was MOTD or SKY but Graham Poll had a spell at weekends when he use to look back and explain decisions from a referee's point of view
George Dawes

Postby Joe Oh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure they already get rated by the Referee's Association. Good refs get more big games, bad refs get less big games. The current system is fine.

The only problem with refs is that they are human and therefore make mistakes.

If they got pulled out after a match to explain decisions then they'd just spend their time saying "Yeah, I couldn't see that dive" or "It looked like he got the ball from where I'm from". Would that really help?

Stoke get their fair share of wrong decisions in their favour. Pulis needs to stop crying and get his team playing better football.
Joe Oh

Return to General Discussion