Morecambe 5 Stockport 0 Jevons (3) Bentley Brown

Re: Morecambe 5 Stockport 0 Jevons (3) Bentley Brown

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Can i just say, Jevons' chip was simpley sublime...
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 pm

you can, he was :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 pm

4-4-2, no need to say anything else.

The players obviously hate having that system :lol: :lol: :lol:

4-4-2 IS JUST WOW

Everything clicked tonight, we were solid at the back, stand out players apart from Jevo were Brown and Wilson, both played superb, could add Duffy in there aswell.

Lets create a fortress like Crusty used to be!

YEAH WOW
Sammy h

Postby Loglayer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Absolutely awesome display, everything perfect, the passing movement goals, excellent display by the full team. 10 out of 10. :D
Loglayer

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 pm

Sammy h wrote:4-4-2, no need to say anything else.

4-4-2 IS JUST WOW

Everything clicked tonight, we were solid at the back, stand out players apart from Jevo were Brown and Wilson, both played superb, could add Duffy in there aswell.

YEAH WOW

you can add Stanners to that list. asolutely superb and first 3 goals all came from his corners.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

4-4-2 IS JUST WOW

YEAH WOW

you can add Stanners to that list. asolutely superb and first 3 goals all came from his corners.

Sorry, there were so many good performances I forgot :lol:
Sammy h

Postby Crooky MFC » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:12 pm

4-4-2 IS JUST WOW

YEAH WOW

OMG you did it too! WOW

4-4-2 all the way, we finally looked like the Morecambe of last season!!
Crooky MFC

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Great to see Jevons playing back to his best, havent seen him play like that for almost a year now. Other stand out players were wilson and mccready.

One gripe is Mullin though. The lad tries, but contributes nowhere near what he should to the goal department. His flick ons have never resulted in goals, he cant score with his feet and cant score outside 6 yards. He had a one on one today and absolutely fluffed it. He missed from his preffered distance of 3 yards out. Mullin doesnt have the ability to play a blinder like jevo fid today. I cant fault his work rate, for a man of his age he puts in an excellent shift, but there is no end product. He cant finish most importantly, his lackof speed doesnt bother me anywhere near as much as his lack of finishing does. The one thing a striker needs above everything else is the ability to finish. Jevons can, from what i've seen spencer can take a goal nicely, fleming can. Mullin isnt ever going to score a hat-trick and goals is what we've lacked. Leaving Zmullin in is no way to combat that. And before people start saying well he helps create them, let me point out that Mullin had nothing to do with any of the goals tonight.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby Posh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Weird how people see a game differently. I thought Mullin was outstanding in the first half. Created great chances and linked play together fantastically.

I thought Lawrence was excellent but couldn't find a pass for the first 40 mins as for some reason he seemed incapable of getting the ball more than a foot off the ground.

As for McCready he didn't push up when Bents did and gave them a couple of good chances as a result.

Small stuff in a good team performance.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 pm

the simple fact is stockport are having problems that even a water logged pitch cannot even things up for them, they could be dicked 5 nil by bare rangers at the minute, to be fair to us, we took advantage and it was ace :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Crooky MFC » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 pm

We attacked right from the start, no messing about. Do that week in week out and we'll win more than we lose!
Crooky MFC

Postby Christies Child » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Just so pleased for PJ. :D

This will have done his confidence the world of good. Just hope what looked to be a niggliong injury late in the game doesn't affect his availability for Saturday.

Only complaint is that I would like to have given young Hendrie a run out when we were 5-0 up just to give him a taste of League football and make him feel wanted.

Excellent and so pleased that the players get a win bonus by playing 4 4 2. Sod ya 4 5 1 !
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 am

Agree Mullin was awesome, he relished having Jevo there. Enjoyed some banter with Paul Simpson after the game, "When are you gonna beat Morecambe simmo?" Then I went back in the W & L Suite to get some more peanuts.
YEAH WOW
Bare Ben

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:09 am

not a statto and not looked at google or morecambefc.com...

isn't that about the third start of the season for Jevons and he's joint top scorer?

Not 100% sure but I'm sure I'm not too far out!

4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-2,
4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-222222222eeeeeewwwwww
4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-2
4-4-2, 4-4-222222222222222

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-berrrrrrrrrrr

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

:roll: :lol: :D :D :D
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 am

Fantastic performance tonight Jev and Mullin were awsome!! just a shame the weather seemed to put a few people off.
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 am

C O N C L U S I O N : formations and tactics do work.

As I said to Rod at half time - can we start watering the pitch 2 days before kick off please?

Combined with a wind turbine running during the game we can't lose :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:47 am

Keith wrote:not a statto and not looked at google or morecambefc.com...

isn't that about the third start of the season for Jevons and he's joint top scorer?

Not 100% sure but I'm sure I'm not too far out!

4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-2,
4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-222222222eeeeeewwwwww
4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-2
4-4-2, 4-4-222222222222222

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-berrrrrrrrrrr

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

Nov-em-ber
Nov-em-ber

:roll: :lol: :D :D :D

have you been drinking with Bare Ben?
halftimeresults

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 am

my head has reminded me this morning that I was drinking, even if not with Ben 8-) A Stella fridge within reach of the computer...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:23 pm

marky No.1 wrote:C O N C L U S I O N : formations and tactics do work.

As I said to Rod at half time - can we start watering the pitch 2 days before kick off please?

My conclusion is as it was before. When Jevons is fit and/or on form, then you needn't think of anything other than 4-4-2.

When he's not (and in the absence of a decent replacement) then you have to have a look at other options. And with our back-up midfielders looking better than our back-up strikers, then 4-5-1 will always appeal, otherwise you're sticking to 4-4-2 just for the sake of it.

I don't think he has been fit and/or on form (or certainly hasn't looked like he was) for a long while.

I hope this now gives him the minutes of play and the confidence boost from a hat-trick, that can keep him performing well and helping us collect more points.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

shrimper wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:C O N C L U S I O N : formations and tactics do work.

My conclusion is as it was before. When Jevons is fit and/or on form, then you needn't think of anything other than 4-4-2.

When he's not (and in the absence of a decent replacement) then you have to have a look at other options. And with our back-up midfielders looking better than our back-up strikers, then 4-5-1 will always appeal, otherwise you're sticking to 4-4-2 just for the sake of it.

I don't think he has been fit and/or on form (or certainly hasn't looked like he was) for a long while.

I hope this now gives him the minutes of play and the confidence boost from a hat-trick, that can keep him performing well and helping us collect more points.

well said thats a fair point when Jevons is not fit we cant play 4 4 2 effectively

but i still think we could have tried 4 3 3 weeks ago with wingers playing up there instead just like Blackpool our doing
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Mmm? All goes back to my ‘it’s the players playing well, not the system’ argument.

Duffy and Rundle – both what I’d consider ‘wingers’ played at Oxford and at Aldershot.
That was seen as a 4-5-1 but, when we were attacking (rarely at Oxford), would quickly become more of a 4-3-3.

We lost both those games and the Oxford game was by far our worst display of the season.

Apart from last night (which WAS against 10 men and a side that is in freefall, let’s remember – good display though it was) our best two league performances have been at Bradford and at home to Shrewsbury, when we dominated from first to last and won.

Both were with a 4-5-1 (switching to 4-3-3 when attacking) formation.
Likewise, we’ve played 4-4-2 in other games and had mixed results, good and bad.

I don't think any particular 'system' is better than any other per se. Depends who you've got and how they play.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Sammy h » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 pm

shrimper wrote:Mmm? All goes back to my ‘it’s the players playing well, not the system’ argument.

Duffy and Rundle – both what I’d consider ‘wingers’ played at Oxford and at Aldershot.
That was seen as a 4-5-1 but, when we were attacking (rarely at Oxford), would quickly become more of a 4-3-3.

We lost both those games and the Oxford game was by far our worst display of the season.

Apart from last night (which WAS against 10 men and a side that is in freefall, let’s remember – good display though it was) our best two league performances have been at Bradford and at home to Shrewsbury, when we dominated from first to last and won.

Both were with a 4-5-1 (switching to 4-3-3 when attacking) formation.
Likewise, we’ve played 4-4-2 in other games and had mixed results, good and bad.

I don't think any particular 'system' is better than any other per se. Depends who you've got and how they play.

I used to say that I would prefer Brown in the middle of the midfield, but IMO he makes the midfield stronger. If you played both Rundle and Duffy on the wings it makes the midfield too lightweight.
Sammy h

Postby George Dawes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:02 pm

this is it with 4 5 1 come 4 3 3

it's the switching whats the problem i mean a 4 3 3 with wingers staying upfront with a flat back four and then two banks of three

-----------player
player player player player
---player player player
---player player player

instead of negative

------------player
player player player player
player player player player player

---------player(isolated)
George Dawes

Postby steve mfc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Well we were absolutely soaked through by the time we arrived at the ground but it was worth it, everyone that made the effort last night was certainly rewarded with a excellent display by the team.

To play as well as that in such atrocious conditions is no mean feat, great passing, movement and attacking football, we used the width of the pitch to great effect all night long switching the play from one side to the other.

It was great to see Jevons back to his best and Mullin obviously enjoyed having a strike partner putting in his best performance for a while.

The change of formation obviously worked very well but if we play 4 4 2 in every game then there will be times when we will be over run in midfield.

Personally i have always been of the opinion that you have to take the opposition into account when you pick the team and formation, what works against one side wont necessarily work against another, and if its not working in the first 20 to 30 minutes change it even if that means making a substitution.

The only down side about last night was the weather reducing the size of the crowd.
steve mfc

Previous

Return to General Discussion