Great News on the M6 Link Road

Re: Great News on the M6 Link Road

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:52 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:I seem to remember one of the big arguments against the road was that it would not relieve local congestion between Lancaster and Morecambe, only time will tell.

I know that was one of the daft excuses put forward by the 'keep Morecambe for t' locals' brigade but how can it be that if the traffic going to the M6 doesn't have to go over Skerton Bridge, the congestion will remain the same? Take most of the HGV's and a shed-load of cars out of that bottle neck, things have to improve. Admittedly there will still be some tough peak-times but with the link road, university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Happy Harry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:41 am

Best news of the week! :D

The prospects for all our children locally have just increased five fold.
Happy Harry

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:17 am

Keith wrote:... university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times

Won't be long before they need a Galgate Bypass :!:
Plain Peter

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 am

Peter wrote:
marky wrote:I believe the polo tower now server as a mobile phone mast so can't be taken down.

Doesn't surprise me.
Possibly the biggest and ugliest eyesore in the UK :!:

Has that burned-out bistro in Heysham Village Square got a preservation order as well?

The builders are now working on the Bistro in Heysham Village.

Good to see that the burnt out shop next to Mr Santas (by the Clarendon) has finally been refurbished after a number of years.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Peter wrote:
Keith wrote:... university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times

I've said for years, including in rants on here that there should be a junction off the M6 straight in to the university. It would take a lot of traffic away from Galgate and with the new Morecambe road would make it massively more convenient for uni traffic from Morecambe. For a relatively small amount of money it would make a huge difference to the city and Galgate. Lots of room and an existing bridge too.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Keith wrote:
Peter wrote:

I've said for years, including in rants on here that there should be a junction off the M6 straight in to the university. It would take a lot of traffic away from Galgate and with the new Morecambe road would make it massively more convenient for uni traffic from Morecambe. For a relatively small amount of money it would make a huge difference to the city and Galgate. Lots of room and an existing bridge too.

Shame folk in higher places don't share the same vision Keith, How they got away with that medievel road system in Lancaster for so long is laughable and that bottle neck they created coming back into Morecambe by the Ryelands park railway bridge always has me fuming as I try to push out any would be cutter in from the right lane entering the space in the left hand lane i've waited patiently to get into via a queue.
Road rage! I feel like buying a bazooka and blasting these T*ss P*ts who should know better into the lune
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:14 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Shame folk in higher places don't share the same vision Keith

Why thank you, but now, just to balance things up...

OLDHAMADE wrote:and that bottle neck they created coming back into Morecambe by the Ryelands park railway bridge always has me fuming as I try to push out any would be cutter in from the right lane entering the space in the left hand lane i've waited patiently to get into via a queue.
Road rage! I feel like buying a bazooka and blasting these T*ss P*ts who should know better into the lune

Ah well, I will admit to being one of those twats! It's two lanes of traffic and the sign at the end of the bridge says 'merge in turn' so it is quite reasonable and legitimate.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 am

Quite - the 'twats' are the ones sitting in the left lane for hundreds of yards and then refusing to let people merge sensibly.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 am

Some drivers refuse to obey the 'Filter in Turn' sign..both left and right lanes!

:evil:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:34 am

OLDHAMADE wrote:Shame folk in higher places don't share the same vision Keith, How they got away with that medievel road system in Lancaster for so long is laughable...

Lancaster is a medievel town though!
It wasn't built to accommodate the free-flow of mass vehicular traffic, and that was never part of any vision.
Nor was a University, and the pressures that has put on all sorts of resources over the years.
Nor was a busy port at Heysham, handling the sort of vehicle it has to handle.
Nor was Heysham Power Station.
Lancaster's got a river and its estuary running through it.
It's got one totally inadequate bridge for traffic to cross the river.
So it doesn't matter what is done to the medieval road system, there ain't much room to improve matters.
The Western Route would have been a better option for the Link Road though.
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:56 am

Peter wrote:The Western Route would have been a better option for the Link Road though.

What Western route? It was never a realistic (or legal) option! It kept being dragged up by Geraldine and the rest of her MBI chums, along with the Greens as a way of stopping ANY bypass. At least the Greens were playing a clever game with an intended, stated outcome of no new road building. The MBI's were just throttling the town and killing any chance of a decent future.

Young people of the Morecambe area should choose to move away if they want to experience something else or somewhere different, not be forced to because there are no jobs. I'm glad that I moved away but it was forced upon me because of Thatcher's attacks on the NHS meaning there was no firm job offers when my group qualified (there are at least five Lancaster trained psychiatric nurses working on the Isle of Man that I know of). No Northern bypass and no new power station will only lead to more young people being forced away whether they want to go or not. Tilting at windmills by backing a non-existent 'Western' would simply be condemning yet more generations of Morecambe's youth.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 am

Keith wrote:
Peter wrote:The Western Route would have been a better option for the Link Road though.

What Western route? It was never a realistic (or legal) option!

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that :lol:
But that's hardly the point.
Look at all the roads, railways, and new towns, that run riot through the country in all directions chewing up the countryside as they go.
So really I can't see where legal or realistic comes in, when these bits of law can easily, given the will, be changed.
But irrespective of that, the bottom line is that Lancaster is a medieval city that sits on its river and estuary. Do what you might, the roads, in and out, in whichever direction, will remain at gridlock forever.
Plain Peter

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:37 am

shrimper wrote:Quite - the 'twats' are the ones sitting in the left lane for hundreds of yards and then refusing to let people merge sensibly.

It's the same situation on the motorways when they have a lane out but here it's permanent, If the selfish thinking of me only and bollox to the rest drivers can see the same signs infront of em and can't be arsed to get in lane in good time before they reach the bottleneck that's their lookout but don't expect others who have waited their turn to let it such self centred arseholes

Now with Lorries that's different :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 am

Christies Child wrote:Some drivers refuse to obey the 'Filter in Turn' sign..both left and right lanes!

:evil:

what i do when am in the left hand side lane at carlisle bridge when i get to the bottleneck bit i then indicate to merge right setting a example to people behind me i the left hand side lane

thing what use to get me we do a bit of maintence work at our ladys school where i park round the back and then pull out into rush hour traffic after work and the job i have with people thinking am pushing in when am genuinely joining traffic
George Dawes

Postby Gnasher » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 am

Depending on mood, I'll either stay in the left and let one in or go down the right and, as the sign says, merge in turn. What pisses me off are those in the right lane when the car in front has merged, decide to push as far as they can. I'll let 1 in but only 1. If you push forward, you'll be facing the oncoming traffic :D

Unless you're a 40 tonne HGV :lol: :lol: :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Previous

Return to General Discussion