Stop abusing Sammy!

Re: Stop abusing Sammy!

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:49 am

keepthefaith wrote:
Says who? Because I'm sure 5 years ago League Two football was everyones dream. What happened to Football League And We're Having A Laugh?
Suddenly in our fourth season in this League, a group of supporters have morphed into ungrateful, childish moaners - who obviously expect us with our little attendances, to be running away with this League. As long as we are above the bottom two in April then it has been yet another successful season no? Because we will be playing League Football again come next year.
Maybe some people on here need to give their heads a wobble and realise that Sammy deserves RESPECT for the fact we have OVER ACHIEVED the last 3 seasons - thus inducing this ridiculously high expectation level some seem to have adopted.
Morecambe Football Club has made some massive changes over the summer - numerous new faces in the squad, a brand new set up, new matchday setup - and for everyone to settle right in, be completely at home like the boys were at Christie Park, and to achieve the results people are expecting - would be a MIRACLE.
As I have mentioned before, a few people made posts about this time last year calling for Sammy's head. Funny that, because I'm sure those same people were singing his praises in April/May.
I will make it a personal promise to drag this thread back up at the beginning of next year, when we are on one of our famous unbeaten runs - and I challenge all of you speaking now (just to hear yourselves go on by the look of things) to stand by these postings then.
Sammy has achieved more with this Football Club, than any manager ever has, and I for one am eternally grateful.
So if you're reading this Sammy some of us do appreciate what you have done for this Football Club, some of us are proud to have you as our manager,and will stick by you until you let us down. Not get on your back when you don't achieve the impossible expectations of the ridiculous minority.

Seconded keepthefaith. EVERY single last word. Top post.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Pobble » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:03 am

Is the next stage a statue of SM outside the ground, and each match day there will be a period of worship to the statue.
At half time we could have a collection to buy pieces of gold leaf so that when they have been stuck on to various parts of the figure it will shine even more.
What about a parade through the town, and, ideally, across the sands.
Pobble

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 am

Am I the only one who finds this talk a bit bizarre, coming on the back of a run of four games in which we've won two (including one against a team near the top of the division and among the title favourites) and drawn one?

I think we have done better in the past few seasons than the quality of our squad really merited. Something must have led to that - let's say it 'may' have been a manager getting the absolute best out of his squad.

This season, I think we've slightly strengthened our squad overall but it's not automatic that they will do as well as the last few seasons.

I've always thought - looking at the rest of the league -that mid-table would be about where we should be. Maybe this season will see us return to that level, after last season's
great 'blip'.

Nothing wrong with aiming for better, but it's not panic time if we end up where we probably 'should' be.

If and when we start pushing significantly more money into the squad, then those big questions will become more relevant IMO.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 am

Sammy and Mark have delivered Morecambe FC to, literally, our promised land. The Football League. We have improved our league position year on year since we achieved our goal. And now, expectations amongst supporters are high. Ridiculously high. Too high. With our crowds and (to some extent I guess) playing budget, we are punching above our weight.

We waited many many years to get into the Football League, and now people want more and more. Expecting, nay demanding, further promotion. Instantly. It's not going to happen. Whilst I hate to see the team struggling and languishing at the lower reaches of League 2 currently (that WILL change however), fans should look back at recent years when trips to such mundane places like Margate, Canvey Island, Farnborough etc etc were the norm.

Going even further back in time, trips to HELL HOLES like South Liverpool, Horwich RMI, Netherfield, Mossley etc etc. I've done them all. We are now in the FOOTBALL LEAGUE and going to places like Bradford City (they were in the Premiership once don't you know) and Chesterfield and Shrewsbury Town etc etc etc. Whilst never forgetting where it is we've come from, I know which I prefer. We should all be grateful for what Sammy and his team have given us. Would you prefer Torquay United away on Saturday or a trip to, say, Matlock Town for a Northern Premier League Challenge Cup 1st round tie??

Good times are just around the corner. Have faith.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby keepthefaith » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 am

Top Post Seasider!
One slight disagreement though...the good times aren't around the corner they are here now!
Just some people are too ungrateful and self absorbed they can't see it :lol:
keepthefaith

Postby Moose » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am

keepthefaith wrote:Top Post Seasider!
One slight disagreement though...the good times aren't around the corner they are here now!
Just some people are too ungrateful and self absorbed they can't see it :lol:

Get a room...
Moose

Postby Bryan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:42 pm

When you look at it Shrimpers right - it's not a bad run at the moment. Sadly for Sammy fans are now judging him on 'performances' as well as results. I for one have never taken our League 2 status for granted.

Having said that no one in their right mind could call the Stevenage game 'entertaining'! At home fans are expecting that little bit more than one bloke up front isolated on his own. It's human nature folk want us to perform well and win well too. People want value for money - something that's sometimes forgotten.

However i agree that simply staying up every season is a minor triumph in itself. How we do it is another matter. But finishing fourth last season has defo created a ridiculous expectation level amongst some fans. Personally i'd like us to be a bit more positive at home. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Bryan

Postby Caged Lion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:07 pm

I remember South Liverpool too and this new era is vastly more upmarket. However, I also really enjoyed supporting Morecambe in those days and will continue to enjoy supporting Morecambe even if Sammy takes us back down into the Conference. :D
Caged Lion

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:trips to HELL HOLES like...

FRICKLEY ATHLETIC!!!

Or Globe Arena v...

COVENTRY CITY???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Vinny » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Unnecessary and inappropriate use of the word 'abusing'. 'Stop giving Sammy grief', more like.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think none of us like losing and many are not happy with a draw when perhaps a win is expected. I think the frustration felt by Sammy and everyone else is borne out of this 'expectation'. If you expect and don't get, you feel disappointment and frustration. If instead you HOPE and aspire, then you can be pleasantly surprised, or dashed, until next the time. As we all know, there is still plenty of the season to go and plenty of points play for. I am pleased to see that Sammy has thought to change things in the approach and preparation for this weekends game. Let's HOPE it pays dividends and ENJOY the game. I think this is a subtle and important difference.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:13 am

so to sum it up, we are doing allright, nothing more , or less, so we have resorted to debating the abuse of the team manager, that is not actually happening, he is not being abused at all, so no one needs to stop it, totally pointless post, even by my very low standards :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Previous

Return to General Discussion