Great News on the M6 Link Road

Re: Great News on the M6 Link Road

Postby marky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:20 am

I believe the polo tower now server as a mobile phone mast so can't be taken down.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Lloydie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 am

Still think the link road should have come from Galgate to Heysham :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lloydie

Postby marky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

But would be illegal.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:15 am

when people refer to eye sores in Morecambe i think the main problem is there's way way way way to many empty shops scattered about all over the place from the days of old when Morecambe was a once thriving holiday resort it now makes the place look deprived with so many boarded up shops everywhere

take the west end they've done a good job on the regeneration program but its the shops what make the place in general look tatty we should making the Morecambe area more centralised take Yorkshire street instead of wasting all that money doing it up they would have been better demolishing it altogether and relocating the few businesses on there around Regent and Albert road so then people dont get the wrong impression with the area people knock Morecambe but it's not that bad
George Dawes

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:02 am

marky wrote:I believe the polo tower now server as a mobile phone mast so can't be taken down.

Doesn't surprise me.
Possibly the biggest and ugliest eyesore in the UK :!:

Has that burned-out bistro in Heysham Village Square got a preservation order as well?
Last edited by Plain Peter on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:10 am

DawZi wrote:when people refer to eye sores in Morecambe i think the main problem is there's way way way way to many empty shops scattered about all over the place from the days of old when Morecambe was a once thriving holiday resort it now makes the place look deprived with so many boarded up shops everywhere

The town that time forgot comes to mind :shock:
Plain Peter

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 am

I see that old Tumble down shop next door to the Pier Hotel that has sat empty and decaying for many, many years (I remember it being a clothes shop in the early 90's) has now got a "SOLD" sign attached, which can only be good news.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Peter wrote:
DawZi wrote:when people refer to eye sores in Morecambe i think the main problem is there's way way way way to many empty shops scattered about all over the place from the days of old when Morecambe was a once thriving holiday resort it now makes the place look deprived with so many boarded up shops everywhere

I had a conversation about six years ago with various councillors and officers on Lancaster City Council. I suggested that Morecambe's biggest problem was the amount of shops and that a cull of them might improve the look of Morecambe. Then they could tackle housing. From their reaction you would have thought I'd suggested the council created a manned space mission to Venus.

In my view all the shops (with the exception of convenience stores and takeaways) along Heysham Road from The Battery to the Cross Cop should go; all shops in the West End outside of an area with boundaries of West Street, Albert Road, the Prom and Claremont Road / Parliament Street should go; all the shops on the island created by Euston Road, Central Drive and Queen Street should go and all the buildings flattened; all the shops on Euston Road and Lancaster Road from the bus station to Christie Park; Queen Street and Pedder Street from the car park to the prom should be pedestrianised; between Queen Street and Rita's Cafe all shops should be focused on tourism or related services - so getting rid of the hideous Print and Copy Shop and the grim furniture shop on the corner of Northumberland Street.

It would take a lot of grants, cheap rental agreements and working with housing associations to convert areas into housing but it would work.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Posh wrote:
Peter wrote:

I had a conversation about six years ago with various councillors and officers on Lancaster City Council. I suggested that Morecambe's biggest problem was the amount of shops and that a cull of them might improve the look of Morecambe. Then they could tackle housing. From their reaction you would have thought I'd suggested the council created a manned space mission to Venus.

In my view all the shops (with the exception of convenience stores and takeaways) along Heysham Road from The Battery to the Cross Cop should go; all shops in the West End outside of an area with boundaries of West Street, Albert Road, the Prom and Claremont Road / Parliament Street should go; all the shops on the island created by Euston Road, Central Drive and Queen Street should go and all the buildings flattened; all the shops on Euston Road and Lancaster Road from the bus station to Christie Park; Queen Street and Pedder Street from the car park to the prom should be pedestrianised; between Queen Street and Rita's Cafe all shops should be focused on tourism or related services - so getting rid of the hideous Print and Copy Shop and the grim furniture shop on the corner of Northumberland Street.

It would take a lot of grants, cheap rental agreements and working with housing associations to convert areas into housing but it would work.

Wow that's radicle but if you think about it and actually picture the outcome in your mind then it's a brilliant suggestion. By doing as Posh suggests we are creating an area that could encompass much more green areas for example, making the town a much more tranquil and pleasing place in which to live and visit.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Posh wrote:From their reaction you would have thought I'd suggested the council created a manned space mission to Venus.

To be fair, you did go on about your manned space mission to Venus for a bloody long time
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Freez » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm

and thinking about the possibilities of it actually happening????

...so this manned mission to Venus....... :D

one or two men?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby ockers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Freez wrote:and thinking about the possibilities of it actually happening????

one or two men?

under mike splan this would go to

perhaps he needs a ticket to somewhere a bit further

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1168/105771.php
ockers

Postby captain sparkle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Freez wrote:and thinking about the possibilities of it actually happening????

one or two men?

For the sake of political correctness should it not be 'personned'
it's PC gone mad, i tell you!
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm glad I've got a Lancaster, Heysham and Morecambe A-Z down here in PO12 1FR :)
No argument from me, because that's what's needed.
Plain Peter

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Peter wrote:I'm glad I've got a Lancaster, Heysham and Morecambe A-Z down here in PO12 1FR :)

I should have added that concentrating the retail offer in Morecambe would help those businesses to get far more custom and benefit each others business. Take a look down Princes Crescent and you've got one small row of shops that works perfectly with very few if any empty shops. It would rely heavily on compulsory purchase and then conversion to housing in those areas where shops were removed and modernising on places where retail was being kept. My view is that the council would lose money in some areas but gain significantly in others where commercial property values would rise. The problem is that the council doesn't have the neessary finance to invest or the willingness to try something so radical. The other alternative is to create an easy mechanism for change of use of retail properties into housing or offices.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ockers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Posh wrote:
Peter wrote:I'm glad I've got a Lancaster, Heysham and Morecambe A-Z down here in PO12 1FR :)

I should have added that concentrating the retail offer in Morecambe would help those businesses to get far more custom and benefit each others business. Take a look down Princes Crescent and you've got one small row of shops that works perfectly with very few if any empty shops. It would rely heavily on compulsory purchase and then conversion to housing in those areas where shops were removed and modernising on places where retail was being kept. My view is that the council would lose money in some areas but gain significantly in others where commercial property values would rise. The problem is that the council doesn't have the neessary finance to invest or the willingness to try something so radical. The other alternative is to create an easy mechanism for change of use of retail properties into housing or offices.

princes crescent is a little gem of a road
posh is right all thats missing though for my retail experience is this place

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Mr%20Benn%20Intro.htm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 356685309#

i always liked the episode with posh as the spaceman
ockers

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Posh wrote: Take a look down Princes Crescent and you've got one small row of shops that works perfectly with very few if any empty shops.

Sad to see that the Potts Pies shop has folded, wasn't there long.

Posh wrote: The problem is that the council doesn't have the neessary finance to invest or the willingness to try something so radical.

So where's the optimism about the future prosperity of the town as a result of the Link Road coming from?
Plain Peter

Postby seasonsinthesun » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:49 pm

It will be interesting to see how much traffic the link road will take off Morecambe Road, Skerton Bridge and Lancaster centre.
There won't be a motorway junction where Junction 34 is now, so will Caton Road be less busy?
I seem to remember one of the big arguments against the road was that it would not relieve local congestion between Lancaster and Morecambe, only time will tell.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:52 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:I seem to remember one of the big arguments against the road was that it would not relieve local congestion between Lancaster and Morecambe, only time will tell.

I know that was one of the daft excuses put forward by the 'keep Morecambe for t' locals' brigade but how can it be that if the traffic going to the M6 doesn't have to go over Skerton Bridge, the congestion will remain the same? Take most of the HGV's and a shed-load of cars out of that bottle neck, things have to improve. Admittedly there will still be some tough peak-times but with the link road, university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Happy Harry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:41 am

Best news of the week! :D

The prospects for all our children locally have just increased five fold.
Happy Harry

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:17 am

Keith wrote:... university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times

Won't be long before they need a Galgate Bypass :!:
Plain Peter

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 am

Peter wrote:
marky wrote:I believe the polo tower now server as a mobile phone mast so can't be taken down.

Doesn't surprise me.
Possibly the biggest and ugliest eyesore in the UK :!:

Has that burned-out bistro in Heysham Village Square got a preservation order as well?

The builders are now working on the Bistro in Heysham Village.

Good to see that the burnt out shop next to Mr Santas (by the Clarendon) has finally been refurbished after a number of years.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Peter wrote:
Keith wrote:... university traffic from Morecambe may even use the link>M6>Galgate route to avoid Skerton/Greyhound Bridges at rush hour times

I've said for years, including in rants on here that there should be a junction off the M6 straight in to the university. It would take a lot of traffic away from Galgate and with the new Morecambe road would make it massively more convenient for uni traffic from Morecambe. For a relatively small amount of money it would make a huge difference to the city and Galgate. Lots of room and an existing bridge too.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Keith wrote:
Peter wrote:

I've said for years, including in rants on here that there should be a junction off the M6 straight in to the university. It would take a lot of traffic away from Galgate and with the new Morecambe road would make it massively more convenient for uni traffic from Morecambe. For a relatively small amount of money it would make a huge difference to the city and Galgate. Lots of room and an existing bridge too.

Shame folk in higher places don't share the same vision Keith, How they got away with that medievel road system in Lancaster for so long is laughable and that bottle neck they created coming back into Morecambe by the Ryelands park railway bridge always has me fuming as I try to push out any would be cutter in from the right lane entering the space in the left hand lane i've waited patiently to get into via a queue.
Road rage! I feel like buying a bazooka and blasting these T*ss P*ts who should know better into the lune
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:14 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Shame folk in higher places don't share the same vision Keith

Why thank you, but now, just to balance things up...

OLDHAMADE wrote:and that bottle neck they created coming back into Morecambe by the Ryelands park railway bridge always has me fuming as I try to push out any would be cutter in from the right lane entering the space in the left hand lane i've waited patiently to get into via a queue.
Road rage! I feel like buying a bazooka and blasting these T*ss P*ts who should know better into the lune

Ah well, I will admit to being one of those twats! It's two lanes of traffic and the sign at the end of the bridge says 'merge in turn' so it is quite reasonable and legitimate.

Keith
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion