Sainsbury's Memorial to fans.

Sainsbury's Memorial to fans.

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 am

I received the following e-mail today.

Hello Keith

I am the deputy manager for the new Morecambe Sainsburys which is now sited on the old Christie Park. I am trying to get on the shrimps voices website as need some help. We are having a memorial placed in the car park on the spot where the centre circle was for supporters that had their ashes scattered there. I wanted to ask the supporters if they had suggestions for wording to go on the plaque?

Would you be able to put this request on the forum?

Regards
Nigel Oldroyd

Hopefully Nigel will register for himself but in the meantime, I think this is a nice tribute that will be a reminder of those who were scattered there and the old ground itself. Any thoughts as to what should go there?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Sainsbury's Memorial to fans.

Postby Heysham_red » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:20 am

Keith wrote:I received the following e-mail today.

Hello Keith

I am the deputy manager for the new Morecambe Sainsburys which is now sited on the old Christie Park. I am trying to get on the shrimps voices website as need some help. We are having a memorial placed in the car park on the spot where the centre circle was for supporters that had their ashes scattered there. I wanted to ask the supporters if they had suggestions for wording to go on the plaque?

Would you be able to put this request on the forum?

Regards
Nigel Oldroyd

Hopefully Nigel will register for himself but in the meantime, I think this is a nice tribute that will be a reminder of those who were scattered there and the old ground itself. Any thoughts as to what should go there?

I have no suggestions but I think this is a great gesture by Sainsburys given that there was no obligation to do so. Well done to them and good luck Nigel.
Heysham_red

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 am

I echo the sentiments above, this is a great move by Sainsbury's and they have to be applauded for it.

I can't find a picture on Google of it, but there was a photo in a recent 4-4-2 magazine of Sainsbury's in Scunthorpe which stands on the site of The Old Showground (United's former home) and built into the wall of the store was a plaque saying something along the lines of "Sainsbury's Scunthorpe. Former site of The Old Showground. Home of Scunthorpe United Football Club 18** to 1988" (Insert correct date obviously!)

This would be nice to see too if at all possible somewhere ?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christie Top Cat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Great gesture Sainsbury's soft old sod brought a lump to my throat when I read the thread
Christie Top Cat

Postby Gnasher » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Not the only gesture they're planning, allegedly.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Ntini » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 pm

Perhaps something along the lines of:

'The original home of Morecambe Football Club - Some things change while others remain the same.

This plaque commemorates those whose ashes were scattered on the centre spot at Christie Park. Gone, but never forgotten.'

It's a starter if anyone wants to expand/alter.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby ezz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm

A 10ft statue of J.B Christie or Sammy made of gold!! :lol:

very nice gesture though I hope they make it sentimental but nothing on too big a scale, something when we all see it'll be personal and memorable of our joy at our former home.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Well if all you folk who think it's a great gesture go and shop there because of it then it's a gesture that will have paid for itself, many times over. Great bit of business and PR.
durhamshrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Without getting all deep I had been thinking did we ever get a Priest/Vicar or some religious person to Christie park do do a blessing type thing before it closed for the people that had their ashes scattered there.

I think it has been done at other places and I wondered if it was a requirement that had to be carried out or is it just optional.

Great gesture by Sainsburys anyway
Last edited by P/T Indie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Gnasher wrote:Not the only gesture they're planning, allegedly.

Yes I heard that they had taken Darren Moss off our hands and is going to be on the checkouts.
halftimeresults

Postby John L » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm

halftimeresults wrote:
Gnasher wrote:Not the only gesture they're planning, allegedly.

Yes I heard that they had taken Darren Moss off our hands and is going to be on the checkouts.

Not only that, but the cafe will be serving pies, peas AND gravy throughout the day... :lol:
John L

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 am

I think Ntini's suggestion is pretty good (or something like).

And, durham, I think you're being a little bit mean. Good PR is part of the success of any business but I think this act can be taken as a great gesture in the spirit intended by Nigel and his colleagues. It may even have been discussed during the sale negotiations.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Gnasher » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 am

My only feedback would be that not all the ashes were scattered on the centre spot, in fact I can't remember any. Those I know of were either scattered or buried in the goal mouth at the North Stand.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby ockers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

did anyone rescue Ross?
i mean i hope hes not stuck under the frozen burger counter
ockers

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Gnasher wrote:My only feedback would be that not all the ashes were scattered on the centre spot, in fact I can't remember any. Those I know of were either scattered or buried in the goal mouth at the North Stand.

I think the point is that the centre spot is in the car-park whereas the penalty spot is underneath checkout number 12, isle 6 (pet food) or the bakery! :P

I would suggest a large concrete football, approx 6ft high which could have a small circular garden area around it. It could serve as a 'mini-roundabout', would be a clear focal point, retain a connection with the football club and potentially, if such a record exists, have the names of the people whose ashes were scattered at Christie Park subtly added, or a simple plaque such as...
In honour of J.B.Christie, Morecambe FC benefactor, the thousands of fans who visited Christie Park and the few whose ashes forever remain there
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:51 pm

What about a big morecambe town badge, the club used it for long enough on their kits

and at 3pm every Saturday, I would like to hear "Tina turner, Simply the best" on the store tannoy and if you like you could announce your team that is currently on the shop floor.
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby redtilldead74 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Ross’s ashes are back with jacklyn she was telling me; also if they had stayed at Christie they would be under the drinks isle her words not mine. :lol:
redtilldead74

Postby ockers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 pm

redtilldead74 wrote:Ross’s ashes are back with jacklyn she was telling me; also if they had stayed at Christie they would be under the drinks isle her words not mine. :lol:

:lol:
i still remember driving them all back from forest green rovers december 2002 we lost 1 0 but the funniest thing apart from me stepping in dog shit prior to getting on the bus was carlisle paul passing ross's chocolates around the minibus and ross oblivious to what he was doing so funny
love that tale jimmy!!!!
glad hes back in safe hands :D
ockers

Postby Joe Oh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:12 am

Keith wrote:In honour of J.B.Christie, Morecambe FC benefactor, the thousands of fans who visited Christie Park and the few whose ashes forever remain there

I think this is pretty much spot on. Agree about having the old badge on there as well.

I think this is less about positive PR to get people in and more about not wanting to offend the families of those who had their ashes scattered there. Either way, I'm not bothered. Nice gesture.
Joe Oh

Return to General Discussion