Stop abusing Sammy!

Stop abusing Sammy!

Postby jmatkinson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 pm

For all those idiots abusing Sammy McIlroy and saying his tactics are inept, just think about this.

Who took us into the Football League for the first time in our history?
Who signed our leading goalscorer of last season?
Who built this team?

Of course, the answer is Sammy McIlroy. He took Morecambe out of the conference, something Jim Harvey couldn't do.

He signed Phil Jevons.

He signed Barry Roche, Paul Mullin, Mark Duffy, Lawrence Wilson, Andy Parrish, Chris McCready, Andy Fleming etc. He has taken us beyond any of our expectations we would have had a few years ago (league 2 playoffs). We have just had a shaky start. A few good results and we could be in the playoffs again. We are only a quarter of the way into the season, you can't start blaming Sammy for this start to the season.
jmatkinson

Re: Stop abusing Sammy!

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Spot on.
Bare Ben

Postby Joelinho » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Well said that man.

Some people need a little bit of perspective. We go into games against top opposition expecting results we could have only dreamt of a couple of years ago. Keep the faith and get behind the lads!
Joelinho

Postby marky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Just as he likes to take many of the plaudits for turning things around majorly last season and getting us to where we are as a club on a football pitch right now, he also has to take responsibility for our usual poor/indifferent start. Nothing wrong in fans expressing that and besides, no one can live on past achievements. All that matters is what he and his playing staff can do in improving the situation NOW. Things are somewhat different this year in that our squad is performing nowhere near potential, a potential that Sammy himself has talked up on numerous occasions.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby parceldave » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 pm

jmatkinson wrote:For all those idiots abusing Sammy McIlroy and saying his tactics are inept, just think about this.

Who built this team?

Of course, the answer is Sammy McIlroy. He took Morecambe out of the conference, something Jim Harvey couldn't do.

He signed Phil Jevons.

He signed Barry Roche, Paul Mullin, Mark Duffy, Lawrence Wilson, Andy Parrish, Chris McCready, Andy Fleming etc. He has taken us beyond any of our expectations we would have had a few years ago (league 2 playoffs). We have just had a shaky start. A few good results and we could be in the playoffs again. We are only a quarter of the way into the season, you can't start blaming Sammy for this start to the season.

Why dont you get off your high horse , why is it abuse just because someone doesn't agree with Sammy's tactics , if you read Caged Lions post in the "Time to drop Mullin " thread , there is nothing abusive at all just constructive criticism , some of which i agree with and he is perfectly entitled to write, and what a forum is about i thought . If we all had the same opinion i think it would be a very boring forum and most people would doze off, and if anyone was too abusive i think the Mods would be moderately moderating . ;) Chill
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:53 pm

compared to most teams our management and players get quite a polite and enthusiastic response, bazza or arts have both quoted this in strong glowing reference to our fans, never heard anything over loud on the terraces abusing sammy either, quite the opposite under the current state of play,so who is abusing sammy :?:

fans are allowed to comment if they disagree with tactics etc, not seen any abuse though :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Dragofly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 pm

jmatkinson wrote: you can't start blaming Sammy for this start to the season.

Exactly: I blame Christie the Cat.
Dragofly

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 am

jmatkinson wrote:For all those idiots abusing Sammy McIlroy and saying his tactics are inept...

...you can't start blaming Sammy for this start to the season.

There is a difference between "abusing" and "disagreeing". There is even a difference between "abusing" calling for him to be sacked. We won't stand for anyone "abusing" the manager, players or officials. But expressing an opinion is acceptable, preferably backed up with some thought or rationale.

What people do need to remember is that while this forum may provide useful feedback at times, it is still a minority of supporters who post and simply because someone posts frequently doesn't make their point of view valid...

...except mine of course! :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 am

jmatkinson wrote:For all those idiots abusing Sammy McIlroy and saying his tactics are inept, just think about this.

Who built this team?

He signed Phil Jevons.

There's been no proper abuse really! Just constructive criticism! Anyway, it was actually Lillis who brought Jevons to the club in the first place.................just thought I'd let you know ;)
Little Shrimp

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 am

Little Shrimp wrote:

Who built this team?

He signed Phil Jevons.

There's been no proper abuse really! Just constructive criticism! Anyway, it was actually Lillis who brought Jevons to the club in the first place.................just thought I'd let you know ;)

Listing players signed in the last couple of seasons doesn't really add any weight to your argument, whose to say that any manager we may have had wouldn't have signeed those players?

Sammy did take us into the League, but he inherited a decent squad and only added a couple of players to the previous squad.
How do you know that whilst chatting about the coming season that these players weren't identified by the previous manager anyway?

Sammy's words - all my teams have slow starts to the season.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need to get behind the team and the manager, but in all walks of life results are king. Blatent slagging people off who have concerns about performance is out of order.
morecambe mick

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am

Keith wrote:
jmatkinson wrote:For all those idiots abusing Sammy McIlroy and saying his tactics are inept...

...you can't start blaming Sammy for this start to the season.

There is a difference between "abusing" and "disagreeing". There is even a difference between "abusing" calling for him to be sacked. We won't stand for anyone "abusing" the manager, players or officials. But expressing an opinion is acceptable, preferably backed up with some thought or rationale.

What people do need to remember is that while this forum may provide useful feedback at times, it is still a minority of supporters who post and simply because someone posts frequently doesn't make their point of view valid...

...except mine of course! :roll:[/quote]

.....so that's 2 of us then!

;)

Good point about the minority of supporters who post though. We seem to forget that we are a minority.....but a minority who reflect the opinions of the majority.... ;) ;) ;)

:lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Criticising his tactics is not abuse. It is part of being a football fan. Look at the other clubs around that don't do too well. I don't think we have booed our team off this season?

Stupid post.
Sammy h

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Sammy h wrote:I don't think we have booed our team off this season?

There was some from the MBW at the final whistle on Saturday.

I still have every faith in Sammy and Mark to get this right.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby alwaysright » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I was on the terrace as usual on saturday, and the murmerings about the tactics and same boring shite were spreading.
alwaysright

Postby Aspers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm

I think we should maybe shut up and count our blessings.
Sammy Mac is a hell of a manager and a brilliant motivator.
We are so punching above our weight, Luton in the BSP. Morecambe in the 2nd Div.
I am on the outside looking in.
Where are York, Halifax Barrow ?? I could continue but I won't.

Look at Wigan, that could be us, I reckon we'd be in the prem if we still had a pier. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aspers

Postby mfcbro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Just who does he motivate? I think his man management leaves a lot to be desired.
mfcbro

Postby alwaysright » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Obviously not the players he picks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alwaysright

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm

think this is a case of, the customer is alwaysright :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Caged Lion » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Sammy McIlroy should be messing his pants about getting the boot. Anyone in a high profile job is always ultimately responsible for things going breasts up. We are down at the bottom of Division 2, that isn't a good position to be in, and Morecambe Football Club is a business venture and managers are vulnerable if things don't go well. Sammy keeps talking the talk but the results aren't supporting his bravado.

I believe that we will still be in the play-offs or very close in the second half of the season. But Sammy isn't the only manager who can get players to perform well, by his own admission we have a strong squad, another manager may be able to get more out of these quality players.

Keith reckons that in November we will see things improve...yeah wow...I hope so ;)
Caged Lion

Postby marky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Should the unwanted occur and our indifferent form continues through the hallowed month of November then I think that would be the time to review whether a different person would be able to get a good squad of players performing to the potential we all know it has. I was criticised last season for setting specific targets but I'd want to get a new manager in with enough time to assess what we have before the January transfer window opens. No one underestimates the job the management duo have done in the last 4-5 years but things just aren't going right so far and, unlike last season, we can't blame bad luck or a run of draws against top opposition. Over to you, Sammy.
marky

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Perhaps one of the reasons for our success is that we've only had two managers in something-like 15 years? I'm glad we have a board that doesn't panic at the first sign of things going wrong and they let the manager have the relative luxury of time.

I have, and no doubt will again complain about tactics and style of play but I won't be clamouring for a new manager just because of an indifferent start, as frustrating as it is.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't necessarily agree with your post in its entirity. For instance, I honestly believe that our progression into league football was possibly held back by the sheer length of Jim Harvey's tenure at the helm. Personally I feel his time at the club was at least 3 years longer than it really needed to be and that our club would have stagnated (if it hadn't already) and possibly gone backwards had he been at the club any longer. We're not at that extreme with Sammy yet, but if we don't show real signs of pulling away from the bottom 5 or 6 soon, with a squad that Sammy continually champions as one of the best in the league, then his position would have to be reviewed. He was given time last season and it paid off for him. I hope it does again but I also hope the board are strong enough to take action should it be necessary. Personally I feel they probably are, as businessmen like Peter McGuigan do not have the successes they have without having a strong backbone.
marky

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:06 am

Hang on *goes and looks at calendar* it's October FFS! Before you all start getting on Sammy's back just take a look at the following links:
League 2 Table - 28th October 2009
League 2 Table - End of 2009/10 season
So now do you think we should sack Sammy?
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:56 am

Keith wrote:Perhaps one of the reasons for our success is that we've only had two managers in something-like 15 years? I'm glad we have a board that doesn't panic at the first sign of things going wrong and they let the manager have the relative luxury of time.

I have, and no doubt will again complain about tactics and style of play but I won't be clamouring for a new manager just because of an indifferent start, as as it is.

there my sentiments aswell and the word "frustrating" sums these topics up regarding SM as manager, but SM just like any other manager if he wants a new contract he as to earn it by taking the club forward.
George Dawes

Postby keepthefaith » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 am

Caged Lion wrote:
We are down at the bottom of Division 2, that isn't a good position to be in

Says who? Because I'm sure 5 years ago League Two football was everyones dream. What happened to Football League And We're Having A Laugh?
Suddenly in our fourth season in this League, a group of supporters have morphed into ungrateful, childish moaners - who obviously expect us with our little attendances, to be running away with this League. As long as we are above the bottom two in April then it has been yet another successful season no? Because we will be playing League Football again come next year.
Maybe some people on here need to give their heads a wobble and realise that Sammy deserves RESPECT for the fact we have OVER ACHIEVED the last 3 seasons - thus inducing this ridiculously high expectation level some seem to have adopted.
Morecambe Football Club has made some massive changes over the summer - numerous new faces in the squad, a brand new set up, new matchday setup - and for everyone to settle right in, be completely at home like the boys were at Christie Park, and to achieve the results people are expecting - would be a MIRACLE.
As I have mentioned before, a few people made posts about this time last year calling for Sammy's head. Funny that, because I'm sure those same people were singing his praises in April/May.
I will make it a personal promise to drag this thread back up at the beginning of next year, when we are on one of our famous unbeaten runs - and I challenge all of you speaking now (just to hear yourselves go on by the look of things) to stand by these postings then.
Sammy has achieved more with this Football Club, than any manager ever has, and I for one am eternally grateful.
So if you're reading this Sammy some of us do appreciate what you have done for this Football Club, some of us are proud to have you as our manager,and will stick by you until you let us down. Not get on your back when you don't achieve the impossible expectations of the ridiculous minority.
keepthefaith

Next

Return to General Discussion