Nobby Stiles

Nobby Stiles

Postby Pobble » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:47 am

Even though I have no love for Man Utd I was very sad to see on TV this morning that Nobby Stiles is having to sell the medals he earned in a long and great career, just so that he can make ends meet.
This is in the same week that a certain greedy thick scoucer is reported to be earning over 200K a week.
What a great PR exercise it would be for Man Utd in particular, and football in general, if Mr Greedy coughed up the small change in his back pocket and helped Nobby out.
Of course there are the rich people in Block C at The Globe who could also help.!!!!!!!!!
Pobble

Re: Nobby Stiles

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:00 am

100% in agreeance with you Pobble in that United could perhaps dip into their pockets and contribute to help one of their Legends out. When this cropped up a couple of weeks ago, the guys on TalkSport were saying the same as well.

Radio 2 also had a feature about it on the Jeremy Vine show and they interviewed John Stiles (Nobby's son) about whether he thought United might (or should) help out. His responce was that his father is a very proud man who is not looking for charity.

Wouldn't you think though that they could help in some way so that the Stiles family could keep hold of their unique items and allow them to be continued to be passed down through the family.

It really does stink when idiot Rooney is getting £200k plus per week, and our much needed and valued PCSO's are under threat due to a lack of funding.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby ezz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Well if you think about it, it'd only take one organised home match to go round with a collection (many collectors) with 70+thousand people i'm sure they'd raise loads :D
But then you'd have to ask if it'd be better suited for a proper charity to use the chance.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Pobble wrote:Even though I have no love for Man Utd I was very sad to see on TV this morning that Nobby Stiles is having to sell the medals he earned in a long and great career, just so that he can make ends meet.
This is in the same week that a certain greedy thick scoucer is reported to be earning over 200K a week.
What a great PR exercise it would be for Man Utd in particular, and football in general, if Mr Greedy coughed up the small change in his back pocket and helped Nobby out.
Of course there are the rich people in Block C at The Globe who could also help.!!!!!!!!!

Way of the world I'm affraid. He was just unlucky to be born in the wrong decade. We're the ones paying thick scouser's wages with our Sky TV etc anyway.
durhamshrimp

Postby Heysham_red » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm

looks like someone at Old Trafford was listening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-11630764
Heysham_red

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Just seen Nobby's son, John, on Granada Reports talking about the auction.

I remember John playing at Christie for Gainsborough Trinity many many moons ago and him having some great banter with the flat cap brigade in The Paddock.

Eeee, it's these sort of things I miss y'know ................ !!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Aspers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm

I met Nobby many a time 1st when he was manager of PNE and last was in about 1999 when I was home for a visit.
(Fortunately it was summer so we didn't have any games I could Jonah).
I literally bumped into him at the Arndale????? in Rochdale or Heywood can't really remember.
He still didn't remember me :lol: :lol: :lol:
He was gracious enough to say hello and later my wife said "Who was that who obviously didn't know you"

"Just a lad I used to watch play football" says I, "Nobby Stiles was his name".
"Another of your bloody Morecambe cronies is he"? says she who must.
" yes dear, wow I didn't know laura Asheley did things like that"
Nobby forgotten, shopping continued, I smiled and remembered watching him dance around Wembley.
Thanks Nobby.
Aspers

Postby Curly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Paying £100,000 per week in tax, Wayne Rooney will soon have bought us a new Bypass.
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby shrimper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 am

Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby wijit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 am

Just to make a small correction, Nobby sold his stuff because it "would've been impossible to split it between the kids". Thinking on it, as he has three, how could a chap say "you get the World Cup one, you get the European Cup one and you get the shirt"? Then, had the lads (grown up, natch) actually got the medals what then? If they ever needed to sell them I'm certain our media would've been screaming "Stiles Sons sell his success" or something equally bad.
At least by man Yoo buying so much of it, it will be seen by many, many fans. If you've been to West ham and popped in their museum it is quite impressive to see these types of items.
wijit

Postby ezz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

I thought in the story united were re-selling them on at a new starting price/auction
Get over it ;)
ezz

Return to General Discussion