Changing ends at half-time?

Changing ends at half-time?

Postby Vinny » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

For the second time this season the BRS was not used. I can understand the financial gain of putting all the expected small number of away fans in the Main Stand, but the empty stand behind the goal looks terrible and really does not help the match atmosphere. When this happens, it would therefore at least be a bonus for the home fans and the team if we could move around to the BRS at half-time. I'm sure segregation and stewarding requirements could still be adhered to. Anything to give us added home advantage and be reminicent of the good ol' days.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Re: Changing ends at half-time?

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Good suggestion Vinny mate and I am in 100% agreement with you on this one.

I hate seeing the BRS empty, it gives the match a pre-season type feel, and I've said it before, but we NEVER closed the Christie Avenue end to away fans. Ever.

The logistics of Morecambe fans changing ends at half time wouldn't be a problem (I would think) as they could obviously go down the North Side to gain access.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Sammy h » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Good suggestion Vinny mate and I am in 100% agreement with you on this one.

I hate seeing the BRS empty, it gives the match a pre-season type feel, and I've said it before, but we NEVER closed the Christie Avenue end to away fans. Ever.

The logistics of Morecambe fans changing ends at half time wouldn't be a problem (I would think) as they could obviously go down the North Side to gain access.

Pretty sure it's against football league rules.

Were not in the conference anymore, we can't just swap sides when we feel like it.

It makes sense to keep it close if it saves/makes us money.
Sammy h

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm

I think you're right actually, yeah. I did think after submitting I bet it's against football league rules. Still, doesn't change my opinion in the fact I don't like seeing the BRS unused.

Bet the lads don't like playing towards an empty, lifeless stand either if truth be known.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby captain sparkle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Last edited by captain sparkle on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Like the idea but an total non-starter for several reasons:

- Pretty sure Football League rules state all sides of the ground must be segregated.
- Folk on the North Terrace pay less. Allowing people to change ends will mix everyone up.
- The reason the stand is closed in the first place is to save money on staff etc.

I actually think the atmosphere is better when all fans are closer together.
Wild Bill

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:36 am

Rather than change ends which can't be done could we not open the away stand to home fans? Then we would have Morecambe supporter on all 4 sides of the ground.
heysham_mfc

Postby Tablespider » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 am

Forgive me as I might be wrong, but wasn't yesterday's game sponsored by The Bay? Not the greatest sight then to see "your" stand empty, unused!

I suspect that had it been full we would have had radio execs standing in front of it, photographs a plenty..
If you want to know my opinion, ask my wife :)
Tablespider

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I would love to go in the Bay Radio stand as it looks better than the MWB stand but if they let us in it needs stewards so we're not saving money and as you all know it's now all about money, money, money nowadays.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I would love to go in the Bay Radio stand as it looks better than the MWB stand but if they let us in it needs stewards so we're not saving money and as you all know it's now all about money, money, money nowadays.

when did yr relise that....
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:23 pm

P/T Indie wrote:I would love to go in the Bay Radio stand as it looks better than the MWB stand but if they let us in it needs stewards so we're not saving money and as you all know it's now all about money, money, money nowadays.

The Bay stand is the same as the MBW except it has fewer steps at the bottom.
Harry

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Harry wrote:

The Bay stand is the same as the MBW except it has fewer steps at the bottom.

Yep having stood in their the view is not any bstter than from the MBW Stand.
heysham_mfc

Postby shrimper » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:41 pm

For a club in the Football League but playing on front of non-league crowds, money is always a prime consideration. Don't talk about it as if it's a bad thing.

If you want a return to a 'change ends at half time' style of club then I'm sure it is easy to organise. Scarborough, Barrow and others managed it pretty comfortably.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:04 am

shrimper wrote:If you want a return to a 'change ends at half time' style of club then I'm sure it is easy to organise. Scarborough, Barrow and others managed it pretty comfortably.

Should be really non-league when the winter rain arrives, and both the North Terrace and BR Stand are empty :o
Progress?
Plain Peter

Postby sgt major » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 am

To be honest, on this subject, have any of you seen some of the grounds that are shown on the FL show on BBC. Even in league 1 there are massive gaps on terracing and in the seats. It's economics, people haven't got the money to follow football now as prices are too high for those on fixed incomes when the price of everything is going up. Morecambe's prices are very good compared to some clubs but the cost of traveling from Hertfordshire against what some supporters don't class as a big draw affected the away following.

On another note I suppose the home fans need some fast flowing football to excite them, when that comes the gates will rise.
sgt major

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:21 am

sgt major wrote: It's economics, people haven't got the money to follow football now as prices are too high for those on fixed incomes when the price of everything is going up.

And the situation is going to get worse, and remain so for a long while.
A solution?
Go back to the old, old days, amalgamate League 1 and 2, and regionalise them.
Plain Peter

Postby sgt major » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 am

Good call, it would certainly help with more local derbies - mind you, what do they do with our fixtures - have us playing Bury and Stockport on a Tuesday :(
sgt major

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 am

sgt major wrote:Good call, it would certainly help with more local derbies - mind you, what do they do with our fixtures - have us playing Bury and Stockport on a Tuesday :(

Surely Bury and Stockport on Tuesday evenings are better than Brentford and Bournemouth were in previous seasons.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:04 am

Peter wrote:
sgt major wrote: It's economics, people haven't got the money to follow football now as prices are too high for those on fixed incomes when the price of everything is going up.

A solution?

Can't believe this hasn't allready happened! In this day and age where money is tight it would make enormous financial common sense.

With the expense of accomodation for up to 30 players and staff and the coach hire for 2-3 days, plus the lack of fans with the resources/willpower to travel the length of the country to follow their team it just doesn't make economic sense to run it as it currently is.

They could keep the play offs and major cups national but play the lower leagues regionally i.e North and South.

I for one would much rather have been playing the likes of Oldham/Carlisle etc' on Saturday rather than Stevenage. Much larger crowds, better atmosphere, increased revenue for the clubs etc' etc'.

The advantages seem to far outweigh any disadvantages but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be on the FL agenda.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby broadwayshrimp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 am

Peter wrote:

A solution?

Sounds sensible but how would promotion and relegation to and from the Championship/BSP work.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:Sounds sensible but how would promotion and relegation to and from the Championship/BSP work.

Two down from the Championship.
One up each from League 1 North and South.
If the 2 relegated Championship sides were both Southern then they'd go into League 1 South, or League 1 North if they were both Northern.
Then one of the League 1 leagues would need adjusting for the forthcoming season by moving the most appropriate geographic team into the other League 1 league. That really wouldn't make a lot of difference for that team as they'd be a Midlands outfit so whether they travel north or south wouldn't make a lot of difference to them or their supporters.

Relegation from the two League 1 leagues would be one down from each.
Promotion from the BSP would be two up.

The BSP would also need splitting into North and South.
To cater for this Conference North and South would each need to lose ten teams, who join either BSP North or South. Conference North and South would then need teams from leagues below them being bumped-up, and so on.

I made all that up as I typed, so someone who knew what they were doing shouldn't take much longer :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby MfcChris » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I always find it a bit unusual for the midlands sides in the BSN & BSS where one season they might be in BSN and the next season they might be in BSS for no reason to do with them, but the teams that go in and out of the division. I would not like to support one of these clubs and think they are at a disadvantage playing a whole new league. At least playing the same teams every year you know stuff about them etc. I think it happens to Worcester.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby DTSJim » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Burnley Shrimp wrote:
Peter wrote:

A solution?

Can't believe this hasn't allready happened! In this day and age where money is tight it would make enormous financial common sense.

With the expense of accomodation for up to 30 players and staff and the coach hire for 2-3 days, plus the lack of fans with the resources/willpower to travel the length of the country to follow their team it just doesn't make economic sense to run it as it currently is.

They could keep the play offs and major cups national but play the lower leagues regionally i.e North and South.

I for one would much rather have been playing the likes of Oldham/Carlisle etc' on Saturday rather than Stevenage. Much larger crowds, better atmosphere, increased revenue for the clubs etc' etc'.

The advantages seem to far outweigh any disadvantages but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be on the FL agenda.

It's not a bad shout although it would make me worry a little about our chances in such a league.
We're small time in league 2, if you get some of league 1s big guns in our league we could almost be priced out of the market and be in relegation battles every year.
DTSJim

Postby broadwayshrimp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Peter wrote:
broadwayshrimp wrote:Sounds sensible but how would promotion and relegation to and from the Championship/BSP work.

Two down from the Championship.
One up each from League 1 North and South.
If the 2 relegated Championship sides were both Southern then they'd go into League 1 South, or League 1 North if they were both Northern.
Then one of the League 1 leagues would need adjusting for the forthcoming season by moving the most appropriate geographic team into the other League 1 league. That really wouldn't make a lot of difference for that team as they'd be a Midlands outfit so whether they travel north or south wouldn't make a lot of difference to them or their supporters.

Relegation from the two League 1 leagues would be one down from each.
Promotion from the BSP would be two up.

The BSP would also need splitting into North and South.
To cater for this Conference North and South would each need to lose ten teams, who join either BSP North or South. Conference North and South would then need teams from leagues below them being bumped-up, and so on.

I made all that up as I typed, so someone who knew what they were doing shouldn't take much longer :lol:

That sounds ok but presumeably it would mean the end of the play offs. If so the season for many clubs will just die a death after Xmas with many more meaningless games being played before the end of the season.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:57 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:That sounds ok but presumeably it would mean the end of the play offs. If so the season for many clubs will just die a death after Xmas with many more meaningless games being played before the end of the season.

Why end the play-offs?
Of course you can have them.
And what are play-offs?
Sets of supporters who want their teams to do well, and 'dick' the opposition.
Footie is a mind game.
Do you really support your team in expectation, or is it because you lurvv your team?
What's expectation all about?
"Fxxk, it's Xmas, we've shit it, I ain't going again!
Some tin-pot team supporter I am!!
Get in there :shock:
Plain Peter

Next

Return to General Discussion