England Football Team

Re: England Football Team

Postby wijit » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:51 pm

I wonder if carragher would care more if he were a regular first choice? ;)
wijit

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:01 pm

SOOoooooo.... anyway.

Dum de dum de dum....
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 pm

yozzer wrote:We are the underdogs tonight though and that has often brought out the best in the English Psyche. I confidently expect a draw or win. Cue a 3-0 thrashing! :roll:

Did you go via the bookies at all?

Still, Yoz = Prediction Legend! When he says 'there's nowt down for us', that's usually the case.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 pm

morecambe mick wrote:
yozzer wrote:We are the underdogs tonight though and that has often brought out the best in the English Psyche. I confidently expect a draw or win. Cue a 3-0 thrashing! :roll:

Just in case you want to return and edit Yozzer :lol:

Why would anyone want to edit Yozzer!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:11 pm

by the way, what score did Yozzer think it would be?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:29 am

Keith wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

Just in case you want to return and edit Yozzer :lol:

Why would anyone want to edit Yozzer!

Picking on me because of one missing comma, shame on you Keith.
morecambe mick

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 am

With the benefit of hindsight, I would like to laugh at all negative fans who have posted on this thread! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last night England were awesome. A throw-back to the 5-1 game against the Germans under Sven. Ok they had a good chunk of luck, but like they say, you make your own. Reading the back pages of the Sun yesterday, anyone would have thought we were on the brink of not qualifiying. :?

Capello needs time to prove what he is capable and so does the team. One swallow doesn't make a summer but one result sends a message out to other countries that we might just be a team worth worrying about again. It will also give the team confidence to qualify for the world cup in 2010 and once there, who knows?
Wild Bill

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 am

Wild Bill wrote:One swallow doesn't make a summer?

Agreed !

...and one, erm, crow doesn't make a horrible winter (or something) - a lesson for everyone I think.
Football seasons, qualifying tournaments etc are about more than one or two poor games, one or two bad results.

When we (England, Morecambe or whoever) have a poor run, we're not necessarily doomed, likewise when we get a good win, we're not world-beaters.
shrimper

Postby Harry » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 am

I think Capello should tell the England players the same thing as Sammy has said to Morecambe - don't get carried away with a good early result, keep your foot down.

I don't think last night was nearly as good as the performance when we thrashed Germany, but we kept the ball well a lot of the time, defended very well and took our chances well when they came...certainly an Italian manager's influence!

I haven't seen a paper today yet but I dread to think of what hyperbole the red-tops have to say about our performance, we just need to kick on and use the result to our advantage in the coming qualifying campaign.
Harry

Postby wijit » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:50 am

I think they're looking to hard at this result. Three of our goals came after Croatia went down to ten men, their goal came when they were down to ten men and we didn't look comfortable even then. We need to be more stable in midfield and maybe not have a left back who goes so far forward he has to leg it back to get into position when the opposition counter attack.
A good result, not a great result.
wijit

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:09 pm

shrimper wrote:What's it to you? You don't care :lol:

Part time supporter! :lol:

Conference standard refereeing though. I think he only decided to send their lad off after he'd seen the state of the injury, shouldn't have allowed them to score, should have given England a penalty...

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Paul Mac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:28 pm

MTID wrote:Come On Croatia!

Shaggy! Is that you? :D
Beidh ár lá linn
Paul Mac

Postby slackAlice » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Harry
I haven't seen a paper today yet but I dread to think of what hyperbole the red-tops have to say about our performance, we just need to kick on and use the result to our advantage in the coming qualifying campaign.

Aye I wonder !! ?? :lol: ;)

I won't bother buying one for that reason. No doubt Walcott is the new boy wonder - but they should be pleased with that result 4-1 at their place , and they are a decent team Croatia. Its no fluke if you win 4-1 but I've only seen the goals , but they need to stay "focused" I think is the term they use.

wild bill
Reading the back pages of the Sun yesterday, anyone would have thought we were on the brink of not qualifiying.

I wonder what the shun is saying today ???? Thats a big problem with the 'England thing', lose and we have to change everything ; win and there going to beat every team put in front of them, and that can be there downfall.
That phrase "negativity" rears its ugly head yet again ; I'd prefer the term 'critical analysis' , only the 'disingenious' would look back at the last 5 years of the England football team and be entirely positive. But there is room for some optimism amongst the England faithfull - me I still couldn't care less if they win or lose 8-) . Like Carrahger said you can't pretend it really matters when it doesn't.
slackAlice

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 pm

wijit wrote:I think they're looking to hard at this result. Three of our goals came after Croatia went down to ten men, their goal came when they were down to ten men and we didn't look comfortable even then. We need to be more stable in midfield and maybe not have a left back who goes so far forward he has to leg it back to get into position when the opposition counter attack.

Jesus, what would be a 'great result' in your book? :lol:

Their goal should have been disallowed due to a foul on Terry. Croatia hadn't been beaten in 30 odd matches at home too! Fat Frank's goal was an excellent move and a shame it was chalked off. Credit where credit is due. Last night was a very good performance and a GREAT result.

Still its a long way to qualification, but I for one am certainly more optimistic after the match I watched last.
Wild Bill

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 pm

slackAlice wrote:[b[Thats a big problem with the 'England thing', lose and we have to change everything ; win and there going to beat every team put in front of them, .

Not just England, mate...
shrimper

Postby Sammy h » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:53 pm

You know what's going to happen now.

We will be expected to win the world cup, greatest team in world blah blah :lol:
Sammy h

Postby wijit » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
wijit wrote:I think they're looking to hard at this result. Three of our goals came after Croatia went down to ten men, their goal came when they were down to ten men and we didn't look comfortable even then. We need to be more stable in midfield and maybe not have a left back who goes so far forward he has to leg it back to get into position when the opposition counter attack.

Jesus, what would be a 'great result' in your book? :lol:

Their goal should have been disallowed due to a foul on Terry. Croatia hadn't been beaten in 30 odd matches at home too! Fat Frank's goal was an excellent move and a shame it was chalked off. Credit where credit is due. Last night was a very good performance and a GREAT result.

Still its a long way to qualification, but I for one am certainly more optimistic after the match I watched last.

Sorry, you're right. It was a great result, but not a great performance just a good one.
The point about their goal is kind of "should've/could've/would've" it's the old thing about playing to the whistle. I'm just not certain that had they kept all 11 men on for 90 m inutes that we would've won.
wijit

Postby shrimper » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:45 am

Lots of 'ifs and maybes' but I thought we dominated the play for all but about the first 10 minutes and looked really comfortable on the ball, then denied them the space to do what they usually do - excellent tactics stifling their fullbacks who usually create so much.

Also I thought we had a cast-iron penalty denied and a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Having said all that, even if you are being ultra picky and accept (which I don't, I still think we'd have won) that we may, had they kept 11 on the pitch, have only got a draw, that would still be an excellent result in the circumstances and, I suspect, most people would have taken it pre kick-off.

For those who aren't bothered, fair enough. For the rest of us I think we can, on this occasion and without getting too carried away, take the positives from a very good performance and enjoy and celebrate a great result. I mean we do enough griping when it goes pear-shaped.
shrimper

Postby campdave » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:08 am

shrimper wrote:
slackAlice wrote:[b[Thats a big problem with the 'England thing', lose and we have to change everything ; win and there going to beat every team put in front of them, .

Glad to see I'm not the only one noticing parallells :D
campdave

Postby slackAlice » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:59 pm

campdave wrote:
shrimper wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one noticing parallells :D

Parrallels possibly but with the England football team it goes into 'over-drive'. It's Walcott mania -in one paper I picked up it was like an 8 page 'special' on what is grandad thought and his fathers RAF career and his fear of flying. He had to phone his mum because he'd forgot his key. Granted the 4-1 thrashing was a tremendous result , but its a bit OTT isn't it ?

I've often wondered what it might be like if England ever won a major tournament again -say a World Cup ???? They'd have to call a 3-day national holiday to cope with the partying, city centres would be full of ...well everything. I don't think it would be a pretty sight to be honest. It [Paper hyperbole] panders to an almost national hysteria -win and were GOD like ; lose and the whole lot need flogging.

In Morecambe's case and most clubs/teams if were on a bad run, we might suggest certain changes in personnel and if we win BIG time[Wembley] ; we have a celebration / party and then get back to real life.
slackAlice

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 am

[quote="slackAlice"][

Parrallels possibly but with the England football team it goes into 'over-drive'.

I've often wondered what it might be like if England ever won a major tournament again -say a World Cup ???? They'd have to call a 3-day national holiday to cope with the partying, city centres would be full of ...well everything.

Yes - and wouldn't that be fantastic? Something to celelbrate - what's wrong with that?

In Morecambe's case and most clubs/teams if were on a bad run, we might suggest certain changes in personnel and if we win BIG time[Wembley] ; we have a celebration / party and then get back to real life.[/quote]

I was meaning more that people on here - as with national media journalists reporting on England games - tend to ignore recent history, ignore the coming games and just judge the whole of our status as a team on the evidence of just one or two games, as if they've no concept of how teams and campaigns are planned and how they often develop, given time.
shrimper

Postby marky » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Talking of recent history, Glen, pray tell how we finished last season ;) That's why the reaction to the start of THIS season was so negative. That is all :P
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm

We finished 11th, mate. I know what you are saying but my point is that teams CAN look great one month, then rubbish a month after. Or you can have a poor half to a season, even, and perform much better in the other half. We all know that that's the way football is.
So you can either judge someone (team, manager, club) on one period and start saying they should all make way, or you can judge it against more evidence.

Last season we started shakily, then had a good spell, then dwindled away. Previous seasons we've had a longer poor spell (when all this 'get rid' talk emerged) and ended up getting promoted.
I just think that managers in particular deserve a bit more leeway than some people sometimes give them.

Before the Croatia game there were plenty of people in national circles (not here) saying Capello hadn't brought anything new to the side and even suggested already that he wasn't right for the job.

One or two on here and on the BBC 606 website were suggesting (albeit in a vague way) that Sammy's time may have come.

Just drawing that comparison.
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 pm

shrimper wrote:We finished 11th, mate. I know what you are saying but my point is that teams CAN look great one month, then rubbish a month after. Or you can have a poor half to a season, even, and perform much better in the other half. We all know that that's the way football is.
So you can either judge someone (team, manager, club) on one period and start saying they should all make way, or you can judge it against more evidence.

Last season we started shakily, then had a good spell, then dwindled away. Previous seasons we've had a longer poor spell (when all this 'get rid' talk emerged) and ended up getting promoted.
I just think that managers in particular deserve a bit more leeway than some people sometimes give them.Before the Croatia game there were plenty of people in national circles (not here) saying Capello hadn't brought anything new to the side and even suggested already that he wasn't right for the job.

One or two on here and on the BBC 606 website were suggesting (albeit in a vague way) that Sammy's time may have come.

Just drawing that comparison.

Couldn't agree more. See my post under the Grimsby topic.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion