Morecambe v Stevenage

Re: Morecambe v Stevenage

Postby marky » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:42 am

The Bay wrote:As for the game itself, we simply weren't big enough. Stevenage didn't allow us to play, and muscled us off the ball before we could get anything going. Personally I don't think it has much to do with the 4-5-1 - we weren't being allowed the freedom to move like we were against Shrewsbury. Stevenage are the worst side I've seen for a while, but came with a plan.

Doesn't that suggest that we didn't go into the match with a plan? Which is the fault of the manager is it not? Stevenage won the Conference playing exactly as they will have done yesterday i.e. by having a strong defence and by being 'big' so it's not like their 'plan' will have come as any surprise. That's one of Sammy's weaknesses in that he rarely has a plan B, or is too slow to utilise it.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 am

I think it's far too early to jump to rash conclusions about systems (451 is responsible for all but one of our victories this season), management or a season focussed on survival (wtf!) although saying that yesterday's game had 0-0 all over it after 20 minutes.

Mullin aside (who got shoved off the ball too much by their strong centre backs) we have no physical presence going forward. Drummy is tall but is generally the more defensive in midfield, whilst everyone else is of average height and can be bullied by teams like Stevenage who give us no room. This IMO is what we need to bring in, never mind highly skilled players who failed to cut it at a higher level, get in some brutes who will add hunger and steel into the side.
Harry

Postby The Bay » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 am

marky wrote:
The Bay wrote:As for the game itself, we simply weren't big enough. Stevenage didn't allow us to play, and muscled us off the ball before we could get anything going. Personally I don't think it has much to do with the 4-5-1 - we weren't being allowed the freedom to move like we were against Shrewsbury. Stevenage are the worst side I've seen for a while, but came with a plan.

Doesn't that suggest that we didn't go into the match with a plan? Which is the fault of the manager is it not? Stevenage won the Conference playing exactly as they will have done yesterday i.e. by having a strong defence and by being 'big' so it's not like their 'plan' will have come as any surprise. That's one of Sammy's weaknesses in that he rarely has a plan B, or is too slow to utilise it.

I disagree. We had a gameplan, but physically were stopped from using it. Could Sammy have changed it earlier? Maybe, but that's all down to opinion. It's not a question of how they would play being a surprise - listen to my chat with Sammy before the game - we knew - but no tactics or masterplan, or formation can combat a side simply being heavier than us.

I'd much rather play football, or at least try to play the right way every week, than watch the poor excuse that yesterday's opponents served up week in, week out.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Postby halftimeresults » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:08 am

I did listen to Sammy before the game but not after the game, why ?

he is turning into Alex Ferguson
halftimeresults

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am

yeah wow the bay we had a gameplan and they did what no way :roll:

we have a too small pie warmer lame lame lame

excuses are getting weeker and weekly yeah wow

omg
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:19 am

The Bay wrote:
marky wrote:

I disagree. We had a gameplan, but physically were stopped from using it. Could Sammy have changed it earlier? Maybe, but that's all down to opinion. It's not a question of how they would play being a surprise - listen to my chat with Sammy before the game - we knew - but no tactics or masterplan, or formation can combat a side simply being heavier than us.

I'd much rather play football, or at least try to play the right way every week, than watch the poor excuse that yesterday's opponents served up week in, week out.

Maybe time that Sammy was asked why he insists on playing Mullers as a loan striker when there is nobody close to him to take advantage of his heading ability? Time after time he wins the ball but nobody close enough to take advantage. 2 strikers playing together as a duo are a must for me!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:44 am

My overall summary of the game: wank. After the first 10 minutes we looked really flat and nothing was happening. No pressure on their defenders, they were allowed far too much time and space on the ball which gave them the opportunity to leisurely stroke the ball out of the danger area. We should be taking the game to the opposition at home; I'd have changed something after 30 minutes, let alone 70 when Sammy finally made a sub.

Interesting to see a few fans following my train of thought regarding the 4-5-1 system; it can only work if your midfielders push forward in support of the striker. Fleming, Drummond and Stanley all did this very rarely during the match. This resulted in Mullers being isolated, and in fact none of our three central midfield players imparted any influence on the game whatsoever. We lacked a leader on the field and looked lost at times (this is why Jimbo must play if fit), one in the eye for all those who crow for Stanley to be given the band.

One thing that has surprised me recently is the ability of Brown. Initially I had him marked down as a solid player who you might bring on in the last 15 to sure things up, but it looks like he has more to his game than that. Great energy, perhaps should be given a go in the middle to liven things up?

Has Scott been slung? When will Capaldi follow suit? He pissed me off yesterday when he started warming up, I had visions of Wilson being dragged off for this sack of shit in one of Sammys clockwork subs. Walking away from the ground yesterday it felt like a defeat, if the opposition had more about them it would have been. Sort it out Sammy.
RedRedWine1

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:02 pm

If Brown is played in central midfield,then I presume Rundle would be brought in on the left. Fine. Okay. BUT that means either Stanley or Drummond is on the bench. Unless you are playing both of them as well in which case there is no place for either Jevons or Fleming
i.e. possible team would be

Barry

Hunter McCready/Bentley Parrish Wilson
or Parrish Bentley McCready Wilson

Duffy Stanley Drummond Brown Rundle

Mullin

But then the problem is one up front again on his own.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:27 pm

What about 4-4-1-1

Roche
Parrish Bentley McCready Wilson
Duffy Stanley Drummond Rundle
Shuker
Mullin

Shuker and Mullin would be a good combo, little and large and they played well together earlier in the season in that formation
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:29 pm

We were second to every ball. I say try Fleming and Brown in central midfield. Worked their socks off yesterday.
Sammy h

Postby outsider » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Barry

Hunter McCready Parrish Wilson

Duffy Stanley Brown Rundle

Mullin Jevons

SIMPLES ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby N Saban » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I have to say at home has to be 4-4-2 we should be on teams straight away. we may have come up against a more physical team but we could have quite easily have out footballed stevenage, we've done it many times in the past.

I am also seeing the merits of Scott Brown am more impressed with him week in week out. he's a grafter but also shows good touch and the ability to pass and move not everything goes sideways. I think he should be in the middle.

Bentley if fit needs to be in the team we have no one who can lead like he does (we let artell go, very strange)

Team: (if everyone fit)

Roche

Parrish, Bentley Mcready, Wilson

Duffy, Hunter, Brown, Rundle

Spencer, Jevons

subs: Mullin (can be used as impact), Drummond, Stanley (either can be used to replaced Hunter if we need more gile in the middle) Fleming (either just behin jevo or as a fifth midfielder if needed.) Hainning, walker, Hendrie.
N Saban

Postby Loglayer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:45 pm

I have read about who should be in and who should be out and my team is..
Roche
Parrish Bentley. Mcreedy. Wilson
Duffy Brown. Flemming. Rundle
Jevons. Spencer
Loglayer

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Just been watching the Football League Show and three words struck me.
Pace,Confidence,Goalscorer.
Some of the attacking play from some of the teams was like lightning, with those three words strongly to the fore.
Made us look like tortoises relatively speaking.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby mfcbro » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Not slagging Barry off but no way is he a captain,doesnt even shout for crosses let alone be vocal when needed.Very disappointed to see Bentley left out after 1 mistake.thought he did ok against Bury,Bradford and Shrewsbury.As someone else said we need a leader on the pitch,I would play at the moment Parrish rightback as he seems to be able to play anywhere across the back four with Bentley,McCreadie and Wilson.Garys not a right back.2 points lost yesterday at home to a mediocre side.
mfcbro

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:25 pm

N Saban wrote:I have to say at home has to be 4-4-2 we should be on teams straight away. we may have come up against a more physical team but we could have quite easily have out footballed stevenage, we've done it many times in the past.

I am also seeing the merits of Scott Brown am more impressed with him week in week out. he's a grafter but also shows good touch and the ability to pass and move not everything goes sideways. I think he should be in the middle.

Bentley if fit needs to be in the team we have no one who can lead like he does (we let artell go, very strange)

Roche

Spencer, Jevons

subs: Mullin (can be used as impact), Drummond, Stanley (either can be used to replaced Hunter if we need more gile in the middle) Fleming (either just behin jevo or as a fifth midfielder if needed.) Hainning, walker, Hendrie.

I would think Sammy had lost his marbles if he played Hunter in central midfield ahead of both Drummond and Stanley.

your best players are your best players , simple really.

Roche

Parrish McCready Bentley/Haining Wilson

Duffy Drummond Stanley Brown Rundle

Mullin or Jevons
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
N Saban wrote:I have to say at home has to be 4-4-2 we should be on teams straight away. we may have come up against a more physical team but we could have quite easily have out footballed stevenage, we've done it many times in the past.

Roche

Spencer, Jevons

I would think Sammy had lost his marbles if he played Hunter in central midfield ahead of both Drummond and Stanley.your best players are your best players , simple really.

Roche

Parrish McCready Bentley/Haining Wilson

Duffy Drummond Stanley Brown Rundle

Mullin or Jevons

I could have sworn that I saw a couple of marbles next to the managers car at The Globe post match yesterday! :o :o :o
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Agree with redredwine, Brown should be given a chance in the middle he has all the qualities for that position. Then rundle can play on the wing and we have another option other than everything through Duffy who can't be expected to create everything for us. Maybe Brown can offer us a forward pass from midfield too which we haven't had since Craney!
Morecambe Jack

Previous

Return to General Discussion