Time To Drop Mullin (edited)

Time To Drop Mullin (edited)

Postby BHmfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:13 am

In a way i feel sorry for Mullin, he gives 100% every game, wins more than his fair share of 50/50 balls, but the tactics employed by Sammy Mac, using Mullin as a loan striker, are not working. Header after header was been won and flicked on by Mullin but with no support up front the ball was going straight to a Stevenage player. A big down side of using Mullin as a lone striker is that we tend to hoof the ball towards him, rather than keep the ball on the floor and try and play football, so i think it's time to play Jevons and either Spencer or Fleming as his partner, in a team with TWO forwards, rather than a lone striker where the midfield are unable to get forward and give support.

MOD: How hard is is to get one of our own players' names right? All edited now.
BHmfc

Re: Time To Drop Mullins

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:23 am

BHmfc wrote:In a way i feel sorry for Mullins, he gives 100% every game, wins more than his fair share of 50/50 balls, but the tactics employed by Sammy Mac, using Mullins as a loan striker, are not working. Header after header was been won and flicked on by Mullins but with no support up front the ball was going straight to a Stevenage player. A big down side of using Mullins as a lone striker is that we tend to hoof the ball towards him, rather than keep the ball on the floor and try and play football, so i think it's time to play Jevons and either Spencer or Fleming as his partner, in a team with TWO forwards, rather than a lone striker where the midfield are unable to get forward and give support.

IF our manager would only play 2 strikers playing as a duo then no need for the above. Last years top striker and feared by many has to be given an extended run to get his fitness and confidence back. After all there's nobody else on the bench, despite claims that 'this is the strongest squad' ever!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 pm

No-one else on the bench????
What about Hendrie the forgotten man? Thought people had said on SVs that he had something about him, but i've never seen him given a chance yet. :o
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Who is Mullins? :?
Sammy h

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Sammy h wrote:Who is Mullins? :?

http://www.mullinsheating.com/
heysham_mfc

Postby rickster » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:37 pm

why why drop mullin. He is the hardest working player out there we need to play 442 with mullin and spencer.
rickster

Re: Time To Drop Mullin (edited)

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction for me; we're not scoring goals, time to change the striker.

Pound or pound Mullin works harder than any other member of our squad. When Jevons came on we didn't suddenly create chances galore. I don't think the formation is the problem, or Mullin. Despite packing the midfield we are not controlling the game. Time to mix it up a bit in the middle in terms of personnel. That may mean dropping peoples favourites:

Fleming was great in the first couple of games, but has done little since
Drummie hasn't got the legs and has started to give the bal away cheaply (although it is admirable how he battles to get it back)
Stanley is a sideways merchant who doesn't score enough goals

Obviously I've focussed on negatives, but Each player brings something different to the table although none of them are delivering on a consistent basis. It needs changing, with one two or all three making way for something different either at the start of games, or early enough during a game to make a difference.

I'd have Stanley Hunter and Brown in the middle for the next game pulling the strings, with Duffs and Rundle out wide.
RedRedWine1

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:33 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Bit of a knee-jerk reaction for me; we're not scoring goals, time to change the striker.

Pound or pound Mullin works harder than any other member of our squad. When Jevons came on we didn't suddenly create chances galore. I don't think the formation is the problem, or Mullin. Despite packing the midfield we are not controlling the game. Time to mix it up a bit in the middle in terms of personnel. That may mean dropping peoples favourites:

Fleming was great in the first couple of games, but has done little since
Drummie hasn't got the legs and has started to give the bal away cheaply (although it is admirable how he battles to get it back)
Stanley is a sideways merchant who doesn't score enough goals

Obviously I've focussed on negatives, but Each player brings something different to the table although none of them are delivering on a consistent basis. It needs changing, with one two or all three making way for something different either at the start of games, or early enough during a game to make a difference.

I'd have Stanley Hunter and Brown in the middle for the next game pulling the strings, with Duffs and Rundle out wide.

Am I the only person who thinks we need to play 4-4-2?
Sammy h

Postby MfcChris » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Does nobody like Jevons anymore? All suggestions are Mullin on his own or Mullin and Spencer up front or even give Hendrie a chance.

Jevons is our best striker.

Although I do think we need to stop looking for a defender on loan and get a striker. We are keeping clean sheets now and have enough defenders if everyone is fit.
All the top clubs have a really good striker who leads the scoring charts:

Rotherham - Le Fondre
Chesterfield - Davies/Lester
Bury - Lowe
Shrews - Robinson
Port Vale - Richards
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:50 pm

MfcChris wrote:Does nobody like Jevons anymore? All suggestions are Mullin on his own or Mullin and Spencer up front or even give Hendrie a chance.

Although I do think we need to stop looking for a defender on loan and get a striker. We are keeping clean sheets now and have enough defenders if everyone is fit.

Rotherham - Le Fondre
Bury - Lowe
Shrews - Robinson
Port Vale - Richards
this is only my opinion but to be very honest am not a Jevons fan at all he's just like Berbatov and them type of center forwards wind me up(playing with 10 men) and how anybody can suggest dropping Mullin for Jevons in a 4 5 1 system well? :?

the anser for me with Morecambe is go and play a out right 4 3 3 and tell Duffy and who ever to plays on the left side to stay up wide of the center forward instead of wide of the midfield
George Dawes

Postby Morectalk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Lets face it, when Jevo was scoring for fun from Mullin knock downs nobody was questioning either of them then. Jevons has hardly played this season & he is a proven goalscorer for Morecambe. All he needs is a good run in the team in a 4-4-2 formation - simples !!
Morectalk

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:04 pm

If we continue to play with 1 striker then we need more creation on the wings.

Brown is not a left winger, Rundle should be there.

Brown and Stanley are IMHO the best central midfielders and the midfield should be :-

Duffy Brown Stanley Drummond or Fleming Rundle

Although Parrish has done well at Centre Half I would move him to take the right back position with either Haining or Bentley partnering McCready.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I'd play Brown and Stanley in centre midfield cos it would let Brown be able to push forward with the ball and Stanley to sit back and use his excellent passing skills to control the game. Mullin and Jevons up front is the way forward i thinks. Haining back with McCready and Parrish at right back Duffy on right and Rundle on left and I almost forgot; Wilson at left back :)
Little Shrimp

Postby Morectalk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Surely Parrish has to stay in the centre for ever !!! His performances lately have been outstanding, he has got his head onto everything at the back and is one greatly improved lad this season. As a right back he was regularly caught up field and left big holes behind him.
Morectalk

Postby hoooti » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:48 pm

To me Mullins is out on his own and his only ability is to get his head to the a ball and flick on.

How does that work whe he's the lone striker up front!

We need someone to work with him when we are at home. Also perhaps when we are away aswell!!

I do think tactically the way we put our team out, especially at home, is inept, but whose shoulders does that lie on!!

Food for thought - does Sammy paly that way because our players are not good enough or are his is tactics, Defend first and hope we get the odd goal or two!!!

Ps Im bored of paying good money to see dour games. Saturday was like watching paint dry!
hoooti

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Glad to see that i'm not alone in being a football manager.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we should ask Dave at The Bay to be our spokesperson who after all has the ear of our manager..... ;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby BHmfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:41 pm

NOTE to MOD - Thanks for the correction, but you would be surprised how easy it is to mis-spell players' names !!!! Anyway, back to Mullins, sorry, Mullin, the problem of playing a loan striker is that he is used as a target man, hence the big boot upfield that bypasses the midfield and negates the chance of keeping the ball on the floor and trying to play football. I now think it's time to let Mullin warm the bench and go with a Jevons/Spencer or a Jevons/Fleming partnership and allow the midfield to dictate play, rather than the big hoof up field all the time.
BHmfc

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Morectalk wrote:Lets face it, when Jevo was scoring for fun from Mullin knock downs nobody was questioning either of them then. Jevons has hardly played this season & he is a proven goalscorer for Morecambe. All he needs is a good run in the team in a 4-4-2 formation - simples !!

Agreed not sure why Sammy changed it in the first place almost 30 between them last season.
heysham_mfc

Postby Morectalk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Exactly right, and I don't remember to many complaining when Mullin scored three in four earlier in the season either.
Morectalk

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:20 pm

It seems that Sammy is hell bent on proving his point that we are a winning team when we play with a lone striker. When Jevons came on against Stevenage and played in the hole behind Mullin we looked much more likely to score a goal.

I feel sorry for Mullin, he is a hard working player, and it must be a struggle to play against him when we employ our tried, mistrusted and clearly favourite Sammy tactic of hoofing the ball up the park. Invariably Mullin wins the ball, but he then has to mess around waiting for our turgid midfield to get near him or has to chase after his own flick on! Also he does get into good goalscoring positions, clearly his strikers instinct is still finely honed, but his inability to score from the easiest of chances if beyond frustration, he has lost the killer touch.

No clue about Hendrie, we saw him play in the reserve game against Accy and he showed nothing, so he doesn't represent the answer. Spencer is a bit quicker and is lively but only in short bursts, he seems to me like a petulant and arrogant lad who takes the huff and won't be told how to improve his game, so no benefit in starting him.

Scott Brown is an absolute dynamo in the middle of the park, Sammy seems to play him as a winger? I don't get it, he can break up play, surge forward, make a cute pass and has a venomous shot. Yet Sammy sticks with the old brigade who are slow and too predictable.

The manager is responsible for selection, and he knows far more than me, but I cannot understand why he constantly selects two right footed wingers when we have a fit left footer in Rundle who can fizz in superb crosses.

The Stevenage game was dire, just like the weather, and we can't win many games this season if we don't set out to attack, and quite frankly I am bored now with Sammy's tactics, or whatever he wants to call it. Time to set out with intent right from the kick off.
Caged Lion

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Caged Lion wrote:It seems that Sammy is hell bent on proving his point that we are a winning team when we play with a lone striker. When Jevons came on against Stevenage and played in the hole behind Mullin we looked much more likely to score a goal.

I feel sorry for Mullin, he is a hard working player, and it must be a struggle to play against him when we employ our tried, mistrusted and clearly favourite Sammy tactic of hoofing the ball up the park. Invariably Mullin wins the ball, but he then has to mess around waiting for our turgid midfield to get near him or has to chase after his own flick on! Also he does get into good goalscoring positions, clearly his strikers instinct is still finely honed, but his inability to score from the easiest of chances if beyond frustration, he has lost the killer touch.

No clue about Hendrie, we saw him play in the reserve game against Accy and he showed nothing, so he doesn't represent the answer. Spencer is a bit quicker and is lively but only in short bursts, he seems to me like a petulant and arrogant lad who takes the huff and won't be told how to improve his game, so no benefit in starting him.

Scott Brown is an absolute dynamo in the middle of the park, Sammy seems to play him as a winger? I don't get it, he can break up play, surge forward, make a cute pass and has a venomous shot. Yet Sammy sticks with the old brigade who are slow and too predictable.

The manager is responsible for selection, and he knows far more than me, but I cannot understand why he constantly selects two right footed wingers when we have a fit left footer in Rundle who can fizz in superb crosses.

The Stevenage game was dire, just like the weather, and we can't win many games this season if we don't set out to attack, and quite frankly I am bored now with Sammy's tactics, or whatever he wants to call it. Time to set out with intent right from the kick off.

I couldn't agree with you more!
Little Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Yep pretty much agree with that myself,apart from what you said about Jevons, he just doesn't look interested to me in any game i have seen this season . Like most people have said Mullin's work rate and commitment are unquestionable , BUT there is rarely an end product and while he is played as a lone striker i dont think there will be. :cry: We need to play with 2 strikers at home please, but we need somone with pace who can run at defenders and lose his marker and get on the end of those wasted crosses from Duffy and Rundle , ie young lad on loan to Bury from Man u. I think its about 5 pens we've conceded so far and won 1 , because we simply dont get players in the box. Maybe those 6 analysts who were sat in front of me yesterday can give Sammy some pointers, or were they scouts . :?:
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:46 am

SM as always done it ie. Wainwright Curtis when we've had Twiss on the bench who was better at crossing first time balls but anyway thats past moving forward..

Yep pretty much agree with that myself,apart from what you said about Jevons, he just doesn't look interested to me in any game i have seen this season .

am not a Jevons fan but a extra player in the box is surly going to increase our chances of scoring more goals? especilay now we have two box to box midfielders who can play at a high tempo in Brown & Stanley

4 4 1 1

Roche
Parrish Bentley McCready Wilson
Duffy Stanley Brown Rundle
Jevons
Mulin

i think is the key
Last edited by George Dawes on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 am

DawZi wrote:
MfcChris wrote:Does nobody like Jevons anymore? All suggestions are Mullin on his own or Mullin and Spencer up front or even give Hendrie a chance.

Rotherham - Le Fondre
Bury - Lowe
Shrews - Robinson
Port Vale - Richards
this is only my opinion but to be very honest am not a Jevons fan at all he's just like Berbatov and them type of center forwards wind me up(playing with 10 men) and how anybody can suggest dropping Mullin for Jevons in a 4 5 1 system well? :?

the anser for me with Morecambe is go and play a out right 4 3 3 and tell Duffy and who ever to plays on the left side to stay up wide of the center forward instead of wide of the midfield

Jesus I hate united but if Jevons plays anything like Berbatov at the moment then he's un-droppable!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby alwaysright » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:45 am

I would think having scored only 6 league goals out of 7 home matches the manager would have realised somethings not quite right, after all everyone else can see it needs changing but why cant the manager and his number 2 see it ??????
alwaysright

Next

Return to General Discussion