Re: Morecambe v Stevenage

Postby ockers » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Roche
Hunter MccReady Parrish Wilson
Duffy Stanley Drummond Brown
Fleming
Mullin

overcast and bloody cold

stevenage have dino maamria on the bench remember him??
ockers

Postby marky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Given the rather brief match report on the official site, can one assume that the match was a rather uneventful (penalty aside) affair? On the face of it, a point against a side which has 7 points from their last 3 away games isn't a bad result, but it isn't exactly wonderful, either.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby outsider » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Morecambe defender Garry Hunter was harshly adjudged to have handled
:?: :?: :?: :?:

I was stood 15-20 feet away and he pushed it around the post, not sure if it would have hit it or gone in, but was lucky he only got a yellow.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Not a best performance but a least it's a point.
heysham_mfc

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:03 pm

wow no negative at home one up front no benley why oh why OMG wow not
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Shrimpman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm

negative tactics (again! )

1 up front at home (again!)

substitions far too late (again! ) to have an effect

seems to me that sammy is happy drawing home games :?:
Shrimpman

Postby marky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Sammy is talking the talk ("much better side than Aldershot", etc) but so far, with the exception of a couple of games, his side is yet to walk the walk. I'm not advocating action just yet, given the experience of last season, but at some point the best squad we have ever had is going to have to start performing or questions will start to be asked whether or not it is the management which just isn't getting them performing to potential.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:22 pm

just in spain so missed todays game can anyone give a reasonable summary of the action.Brief details i have show they missed pen we only played with one up as usual and probably fair score,Think we are going to have a difficult season if this does not improve
scalehallshrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 pm

in general i thought we played well in procession with the ball and everyone played well apart from Fleming & Hunter who were very mediocre

but i would have liked us to have played more than one upfront especialy being at home ashame Jevons didn't come on earlier for Fleming it was frustrating to watch not having enough bodies in the box
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
George Dawes

Postby outsider » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:27 pm

scalehallshrimp wrote:just in spain so missed todays game can anyone give a reasonable summary of the action.Brief details i have show they missed pen we only played with one up as usual and probably fair score,Think we are going to have a difficult season if this does not improve

You seem to have got it about right ;)

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby alwaysright » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Im sorry but enoughs enough, its the same dross week in week out, are the club going to wait until were in a real relegation fight before they wake up and smell the coffee ???
alwaysright

Postby parkyboy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Tactics again ,needs more than 1 up front and should have had 3 up front for last 20 minutes ,come on Sammy give us some real attacking football
parkyboy

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:41 pm

We played some good attacking football against Shrewsbury in this formation so its not simply the system. HOWEVER, to play this formation we need midfielders to get forward and ATTACK! Did Stanley, Fleming or Drummond do that today? No.

Crap performance against a (thankfully) crap Stevenage side. It was like watching conference football again.

Our inconsistancy worries me and must frustrate the hell out of Sammy. We know some of the players CAN do it but they just don't do it often enough. I honestly cannot see one of our winning runs coming this year.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:03 pm

I think Brown should go in for Fleming and Rundle on the left wing. Brown is looking loads more Dangerous thn Fleming and he was the only midfielder I saw absoloutely peggin it into the box.
Little Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

i would like to see Brown in central midfield he just about as it all and ticks all the boxes

good touch
good stamina
good shot
good passer
?

he is arguably are best most complete midfielder!
George Dawes

Postby Loglayer » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I thought that today's performance was dire, extremely poor and lacking a spark. Stevenage were there for the beating but we never got going again. I think the team is set up too defensively 5 in midfield, this is good away from home, but not at home 2 strikers please from the start maybe it's time to give the lad Spencer a run in the team with jevons and keep mullin as a impact player, last ten minutes of a game. On the hole very poor today a 4 out of 10.
Loglayer

Postby Sammy h » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:49 pm

4-4-2 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when is he going to realise??????

Scott Brown, get this lad in central midfield, I mean WOW he is a player. Yes I said it. WOW WOW WOW WOW.
Sammy h

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:56 pm

scalehallshrimp wrote:just in spain so missed todays game can anyone give a reasonable summary of the action.Brief details i have show they missed pen we only played with one up as usual and probably fair score,Think we are going to have a difficult season if this does not improve

Bit of a lackluster game where neither team seemed to be wanting to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Didn't see the handball - still supping my pint in the warmth of the W&L Suite. But a decent save by Barry. We should have scored later in the half we hit the post with a goal mouth scramble. Other than that, very few chances other than long range efforts etc.

We did get bullied off the ball a little but offered nothing up front. Mullers can't play on his own as he isn't really a striker; rather a target man to lay off for someone who can actually shoot! Brown played ok and the defence looked reasonably solid, other than that we we very average.

On the plus side - another clean sheet, a half decent crowd of 2250 - perhaps 500 up on what we would of got last year. Play some better football and we might even get a few more!

Also sampled the C block seats which offer a great view and a nice warm place to get a half time beer. Shame there was no atmosphere at all but again that might be the game itself!
Wild Bill

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:04 pm

[quote="DawZi"]i would like to see Brown in central midfield he just about as it all and ticks all the boxes

good touch
good stamina
good shot
good passer
?

he is arguably are best most complete midfielder![/quote]

Steady on matey....actually agreeing with me on something! :o :o :o

And before some smart arse reverts to last weeks comment from me about Brown coming on....in the context of the game I felt a striker was the better option...BUT I got that wrong!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:56 pm

If we are going to play 4-5-1 then the midfield has to push on, we showed against Shrewsbury that we can do it to good effect but today it was back to normal.

I know there is always the danger that you might get caught on the counter attack, but unless someone from a central midfield position is prepared to gamble and make that run into the box then the outcome will be like today, we wont get relegated playing this safety first type of football but neither will we be climbing up the table.

On a positive note its another clean sheet, however we need to get the balance right, you cant win games if you don't score goals, sorry if this is turning into a bit of a rant but i just find it so bloody frustrating watching a player burst forward and cross the ball and there not be anyone there, or have to check their run because no one is making a effort to get forward.

Is it down to team orders or are the players ignoring what Sammy tells them to do, or possibly we just don't have a attacking midfielder ?.

Anyway rant over, probably brought on by a bottle of wine and the fact that i cant watch match of the day because my wife and daughter and her friend all wanted to watch Cheryl bloody Cole bleating on about her personal life :lol:
steve mfc

Postby outsider » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm

2 TV's is the answer to a happy marraige ;)

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Anyway rant over, probably brought on by a bottle of wine and the fact that i cant watch match of the day because my wife and daughter and her friend all wanted to watch Cheryl bloody Cole bleating on about her personal life :lol:[/quote]

Know exactly what you mean.

BUT show them who is the boss. Go and watch what you want, like me.........in the kitchen!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 pm

That was dire today, again. Play offs are now so improbable we ought to be concentrating on survivial. Never thought I would say that after last season but hey, we are not good enough at the moment. Nobody is consistently performing well week in week out (except for Baz).

The rather depressing ratings from me are:

Baz - 8 Excellent penalty save
Wilson - 8 Best game in a while, attacked very well
Parrish - 7 Put in another good shift
McCready - 8 Deservedly MOTM
Hunter - 5 A mistake riddled performance. HE IS NOT A RIGHT BACK!
Brown - 7 Good 2nd half, dont know why sammy took him off and not duffy, brown at the time was looking more dangerous
Stanley - 7 Very difficult job as his 2 centre midfielder partners were no more use than a chocolate fireguard
Fleming - 4 Was he even on the field?
Drummond - 4 Passing was poor, a waste of space today
Mullin - 6 Had a decent 2nd half, definately not the worst

Subs:
Jevons - 3 Two touches in 20 minutes, an absolute disgrace. If he doesnt want to play, dont play him
Rundle - 6 Looked lively, but was takng shots on when other options were better

A win today would have been useful as we are probably going to lose at Torquay. We dont travel far at all well.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby The Bay » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 am

Morning all....

Don't usually comment post match, but yesterday i watched the game 'as a fan' from the sponsors box.

Firstly, the whole 'Globe Experience' was an excellent one. The food is superb, the service fast and attentive and generally very friendly. If you're lucky enough to be a guest, or can treat ourself to some W & L hospitality, I highly recommend it.

As for the game itself, we simply weren't big enough. Stevenage didn't allow us to play, and muscled us off the ball before we could get anything going. Personally I don't think it has much to do with the 4-5-1 - we weren't being allowed the freedom to move like we were against Shrewsbury. Stevenage are the worst side I've seen for a while, but came with a plan.

We found ourselves being dragged down almost to their level, and so it got niggly. Stevenage did the same trick in the FA Trophy final against Barrow.

The penalty was a stonewaller for me, and I thought Gary was lucky not to go. Luckilly the Stevenage man telegraphed where he putting it.

I gave Chris Mac the MOTM as he never put a foot wrong all day. It was close between him and Pazza, but I thought Andy just got caught out a few times. Loz Wilson also looks to be getting back to his best.

Duffs was quiet but had several on him everytime he got the ball. PJ didn't look match fit.

We could of snatched it when we hit the post - from my angle it looked like Stanners got a flick header on the cross rather than it missing everybody. But other than that just two long range efforts on target in the whole game summed it up.

So overall yes, a disappointment, but lets not be too down. As I said in my programme notes, when thing aren't going to plan, this is when the players need us to be at our most vocal.

Interesting to note Sammy sat at the back of the bench for large periods today. I think this was so he didn't get drawn into any 'touchline banter'. He didn't shake Graham Westley's hand at the end of the game.

Onwards!..and keep the faith,

Dave.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Next

Return to General Discussion