O/T Man U

Re: O/T Man U

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Even Blackpool seemed to be linked with 20 plus players this summer! It can create some nice theoretical discussion of who you'd like to sign for each club, but the point I was making before all the haters came along was that these "rumours" are rarely worth the paper they're written on, although unfortunately in this case there appears to be a large element of truth in them, although I'm still not sure whether this was more luck than journalism, seeing as Fergie has know he was leaving for over 2 months now!

In terms of the Champions League situation, obviously Man Utd, and many "big" clubs not guaranteed to win their leagues every season, campaigned/blackmailed for a new competition that would maintain their supremacy, although I'm pretty sure most clubs would take this tact rather than considering the greater good of other league clubs. Hopefully the impending UEFA financial fair play regulations will put this right, but I think those clubs that instigated the new format Champions League are again the ones most likely to benefit from the new rules, as most have spent the last 10 years using their increased coverage and reputation to create global revenue streams.
AJC

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 pm

AJC wrote:In terms of the Champions League situation, obviously Man Utd, and many "big" clubs not guaranteed to win their leagues every season, campaigned/blackmailed for a new competition that would maintain their supremacy, although I'm pretty sure most clubs would take this tact rather than considering the greater good of other league clubs. Hopefully the impending UEFA financial fair play regulations will put this right, but I think those clubs that instigated the new format Champions League are again the ones most likely to benefit from the new rules, as most have spent the last 10 years using their increased coverage and reputation to create global revenue streams.

Oh absolutely! And if it came to a battle (ie if Uefa ever decided to stand up to them) they'd be worried about clubs like Spurs, Everton, Newcastle, even Leeds and the Sheffields etc and others from all over Europe (ie the ones with big fan bases) hanging on to the G14 coat tails and trying to get their own snouts in the trough instead of staying with Uefa.

If all those clubs were to let Uefa know they'd stick by them in the event of a stand-off then they'd be more likely to take them on, let them form their own Euro league (or world league, whatever), evict them from all domestic and Uefa competitions and see how long clubs like Werder Bremen and Feyenoord (original G14 members) enjoyed being bottom of a league every year before it all imploded.

In my mind THAT'S what fans groups and the media should be debating, not silly ways to tinker with the format of the Champs League as it stands now and meaningless restrictions that are just pussyfooting around the edge of the whole problem.

What - apart from creating more money for these already rich and powerful clubs - does the CL give us? Certainly not more excitement about European football. When it was all straight knockout, EVERY football fan in the country would be glued to the set watching EVERY game involving a British club (and generally wanting them to win). Now there's so much of it - and so many cannon-fodder non-event games, that there's nothing special about it all any more.
Last edited by shrimper on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 pm

AJC wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:
How pathetic, this is a Morecambe messageboard, go away. Where does halftimeresults say he is a Liverpool fan? You can't count "reliable sources" as your wife/sister. Yeah wow.

Thanks for that BareBen, I am fully aware this is a Morecambe message board, which is why I didn't start the discussion, and have apologised in a previous post for participating in this topic, so yeah wow. It seems there are several Morecambe fans interested in airing their opinions/snide comments on the topic, so it isn't just me that should be taking the flack for that.

You're right, im sorry. It seemed like you were trying to convert the topic into a Man Ure v Super Mighty Reds Liverpool slanging match. Yeah wow.
Bare Ben

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
You're right, im sorry. It seemed like you were trying to convert the topic into a Man Ure v Super Mighty Reds Liverpool slanging match. Yeah wow.

If you'd like to read the very first comment of this topic (incidentally, not made by me), the comparison between Man Utd and Liverpool seemed to begin there, and so wasn't exactly converted by me. So yeah, wow
AJC

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm

AJC wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:

If you'd like to read the very first comment of this topic (incidentally, not made by me), the comparison between Man Utd and Liverpool seemed to begin there, and so wasn't exactly converted by me. So yeah, wow

Yeah wow you're right, that was a comparison, but " relishing Man Utd's perceived misfortunes is the only thing for you to cheer at the minute, not much going on the pitch to celebrate for the team joint bottom of the league." is not a very good way to respond to a supporter of this football club, and not towards the kings of english football liverpool just because he was laughing at that sputum filled pile of scum from Salford. So so yeah yeah wow.
Bare Ben

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Probably was a comment that is a bit below the belt to be honest, a bitter response on my behalf to people enjoying the perceived financial misfortunes and impending sale of a fans favourite of another club. This is similar to the one you've just written in terms of "sputum filled pile of scum" compared to the historical/prehistoric "kings of football". If this was written as an ironic way of highlighting the pettiness of the one line you've picked out of what I've written, then well bowled sir. If not, then it's more of a situation of pot kettle black really isn't it?
AJC

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 pm

YEAH WOW OMG IRONY YEAH WOW

[edit] A REALLY BIG PHOTO OF AN IRON THAT IS SO HUGE THAT IT GOES OFF THE EDGE OF THE PAGE WHICH WAS ON HERE TO VISUALLY DEMONSTRATE "IRON"Y
Bare Ben

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Thought so, nice contribution.
AJC

Postby Opinionated » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

No Rooney tonight, he picked up an ankle injury in training yesterday, how convenient. What are the chances he is ruled out till January?
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby George Dawes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Opinionated wrote:No Rooney tonight, he picked up an ankle injury in training yesterday, how convenient. What are the chances he is ruled out till January?

he was on crutches yesterday and he clearly had a ankle injury and limped off against Rangers on live TV infront of millions :?
George Dawes

Postby Opinionated » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm

DawZi wrote:
Opinionated wrote:No Rooney tonight, he picked up an ankle injury in training yesterday, how convenient. What are the chances he is ruled out till January?

he was on crutches yesterday and he clearly had a ankle injury and limped off against Rangers on live TV infront of millions :?

That was over a month ago. He played the last 20 minutes against WBA on Saturday and was fine.
Opinionated

Postby Opinionated » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Rooney has just released a statement saying money is not his reason for leaving but ambition is.

This blog by Dan Roan is spot on and is worth a read - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2010 ... evolt.html
Opinionated

Postby AJC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 pm

If a team that were 1 point from winning their four consecutive Premier League title last season can't match Rooney's footballing ambitions then I don't think there are many clubs that can. Limits his potential new employers to a list of 2, either Inter Milan or Barcelona, as these are the only teams that have had similar/greater success over the last 5 years.
AJC

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:39 pm

From his interview he is obviously looking forward not back. David Gill could not give the guarantees of future squad investment to satisfy Rooneys appetite. Maybe he should have put a couple of burgers and a waffle on the table
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Opinionated » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm

AJC wrote:Limits his potential new employers to a list of 2, either Inter Milan or Barcelona, as these are the only teams that have had similar/greater success over the last 5 years.

But isn't Wayne looking forward to the next 5 years and analysing which teams will be the most successful? United are in decline and Rooney wants to move to a team who are likely to be winning their domestic league and the CL. If he decides to stay in England then he MUST join either Chelsea or Manchester City otherwise his reason isn't valid.
Opinionated

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm

I can see Rooneys point.

Man U replace the so called best player in the world with a good wigan player.

They replace Tevez with Owen who has done nothing for years

Giggs, Ratboy, VDS and Scholes are all coming to the end of their careers.
halftimeresults

Postby George Dawes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 pm

halftimeresults wrote:I can see Rooneys point.

Man U replace the so called best player in the world with a good wigan player.

They replace Tevez with Owen who has done nothing for years

Giggs, Ratboy, VDS and Scholes are all coming to the end of their careers.

it's a good shout!

he could be a blessing in disguise for United fans if he does leave it will cause more revolt against the Glaziers and add more pressure for them to sell the club to a wealth of billionaires out there who will/would buy United at the drop of a hat
George Dawes

Postby AJC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm

United are in a decline of winning 3 of the last 4 titles? If they hadn't won the league for 3 or 4 years (or 20), then I could understand that this may be a decline from winning it 3 years consecutively. Last 3 years, 2 Champions League Finals one of which was won. The apparent decline of Man Utd is in the head of the people who wish to see it. I have confidence that players will be replaced, through a combination of developing the young talent already at the club and spending another £25mil per summer window, as was done this last transfer window (despite being skint, apparently). Nobody can guarantee success, or that they'll sign this player and that player, so the argument of a lack of ambition, similar to the decline or Utd, is fictitious.

First Fergie has passed all the blame for this scenario onto Rooney, and now he is trying to deflect this onto the club and it's owners. Nobody really knows why Rooney wants to leave (not even Dan Roan, who is basing his opinion on very little fact), but my guess, which is as unsubstantiated and theoretical as everybody else's, is combination of seeking a change of scenery, a resolution to personal problems and monetary gain.
AJC

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:13 pm

But you won all them titles with Ronaldo and Tevez, now you cant compete with the big boys,

Rooney leaving will do more for the good for the future of Man U then the Green and gold protest.
halftimeresults

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm

AJC wrote:If they hadn't won the league for 3 or 4 years (or 20).

WImage
Bare Ben

Postby al1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm

its about time you started to worry about your own team you scouser!
al1

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:29 pm

I think that Fergie is just trying to make it hard for the next manager that comes in. The team will be in such a bad state Fergie will be made to look even better! :lol:
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Did anyone see Everton destroy Liverpool on Sunday. Wow Everton looked like a top side, oh yes.

I think Liverpool may go down, wow I said it. Oh yes.

WOW
Sammy h

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Liverpool just need a new left back and centre back, that would make them alot better. I do feel quite sorry for them in a sence, especially for Hodgson... Quality manager, crap owners and defence..
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby AJC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm

I think you're overplaying the importance of Tevez, who was never really a first choice player, which was one of the main reasons for him not signing for Utd permanently after his loan spell, and the fact that he was overpriced in the eyes of Ferguson. In his two seasons he made 63 appearances (a large portion of these as a substitute) contributing 19 goals. You are right about Ronaldo though, during this successful period, the team was really built around him, with even Rooney being pushed out of position to accommodate Ronaldo's game. Obviously replacing the best/second best player in the world was an impossible task, and by purchasing a "team player" like Valencia was supposed to allow the other world class players at the club come into their own. I wouldn't call this approach a complete failure, as finishing 1 point off the Premier League Champions is hardly a huge decline. I wouldn't describe tacking the title to the last game of the season as being "unable to compete with the big boys", but I agree players will need replacing over the next 2 years, particularly if/when Rooney leaves. However, where we differ is that you assume that none of these players can or will be replaced, whereas I have every confidence that they will, although this confidence would be knocked if this took place under the stewardship of a manager other than Ferguson.

PS, thanks for that BareBen, I thought of you when adding that bracketed figure, just imaging what moronic picture response you'd reply with. It's fair to say, you delivered. x
AJC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion