not the cheapest around,
but worth a look,
but what's the food like ??
and what are the eating times
cheers
glagys

Re: globe bar and grill

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Everything I've eaten there has been excellent.

Beouf Bourguignon (think it was left over from the players' meals on the open day but superb mevertheless), cottage pie and a good quality ham sandwich (ham off the bone, not processed) and chunky chips.

I'd only really pay the menu prices for a Sunday lunch, to be honest and I think they may have to look at that - cheaper bar-type meals in the week and dearer stuff, properly advertised, at weekends maybe.

But as to your question - consistently good quality, I've found.

PS - superb hot pot tonight!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby parceldave » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 am

shrimper wrote:Everything I've eaten there has been excellent.

Beouf Bourguignon (think it was left over from the players' meals on the open day but superb mevertheless), cottage pie and a good quality ham sandwich (ham off the bone, not processed) and chunky chips.

I'd only really pay the menu prices for a Sunday lunch, to be honest and I think they may have to look at that - cheaper bar-type meals in the week and dearer stuff, properly advertised, at weekends maybe.

But as to your question - consistently good quality, I've found.

PS - superb hot pot tonight!

Which paper would you like in the morning Glen , oh and was it 1 or 2 pints of semi - skinned. :D
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Just taken a hike down to the globe bar and grill for a pint, no one in, met steve the barman and a security man, no sign of food on offer, no sign of shrimper, so i am going home, bumped into popye, fryer tuck and wonderwoman on the way out, fancy dress do on upstairs in the wright and lord suite apparently, CC better get yourself down to see if the party goers have the neccessary documentation to the utopia that is home farm :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby outsider » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Sod "popye, fryer tuck and wonderwoman" , were there any right backs centre halfs or stikers among them,
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby parceldave » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 pm

outsider wrote:Sod "popye, fryer tuck and wonderwoman" , were there any right backs centre halfs or stikers among them,

popye, is that Popeye wearing a patch over an eye or cant you count how many pints you've had. 8-)
parceldave

Postby parceldave » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

no sign of shrimper. :o

Must have taken dog for a walk of he was putting kids to bed. ;)
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

parceldave wrote:popye, is that Popeye wearing a patch over an eye or cant you count how many pints you've had. 8-)

Popeye and Olive Oil are back safe and sound in Pompey now.
Plain Peter

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 pm

the globe bar and grill has as much character and appeal as its name, it is fine for a pre match pint, whilst one of you lines up to buy allocated seats in a 2 thirds empty stand, apart from that it does not work, half baked souless boring hotel reception area type room.
mrpotatohead

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 pm

popped in tonight, hide and seek evening, i wll lost, never found anyone :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 am

mrpotatohead wrote:popped in tonight, hide and seek evening, i wll lost, never found anyone :lol:

What, no VIP's? Maybe they will have to officially open the bar every week
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:01 am

mrpotatohead wrote:the globe bar and grill has as much character and appeal as its name, it is fine for a pre match pint, whilst one of you lines up to buy allocated seats in a 2 thirds empty stand, apart from that it does not work, half baked souless boring hotel reception area type room.

Totally agree and this souless look spreads even into the main reception area. Surely some large photographs of our Wembley success and other footballing scenes aren't too much to expect. I've already offered the club the use of the original shot of Sammy holding the trophy but had no responce.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:40 am

We went in the other night. It was dead, not one person in there.

Even the staff told us to go to the D&P. We went there and it was heaving. 2 meals for £8. Bargain.
Sammy h

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 pm

sunday afternoons would be ideal for having live bands as a regular feature

on mondays, they could lay on free soup and crusty bread for the lads playing in the 7 a sde league relatively cheaply, bearing in mind a fair few would watch the prem games :!:

tuesday matchnights

wednesday, dunno, reasonably priced curry night :?:

thursday, quiz :?:

friday, more live music

saturday, matchday

none of the above will happen though :roll:
mrpotatohead

Postby Posh » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:54 pm

I think there's still teething troubles that will get sorted. Understand the menu is going to be changed. While the food looks fantastic, £9.95 for fish and chips will not bring the masses in and anyone willing to pay that is more likely to be in places like The Borough, Lunesdale Arms, Highwayman or restaurants like The Bay Horse, Gatehouse or Bistro 26 for lunch rather than making a trip down to Westgate.

If there was a good cost-effective bar menu and reasonable drink costs then it may get the critical mass it needs.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:sunday afternoons would be ideal for having live bands as a regular feature

on mondays, they could lay on free soup and crusty bread for the lads playing in the 7 a sde league relatively cheaply, bearing in mind a fair few would watch the prem games :!:

tuesday matchnights

wednesday, dunno, reasonably priced curry night :?:

thursday, quiz :?:

friday, more live music

saturday, matchday

none of the above will happen though :roll:

...also with the number of 'comedians' on this site, why not have amateur comedy nights when those with the balls to do a stand up get a small financial prize for getting the loudest applause. Might even attract some from the Uni who have flats in the West End area?
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:15 pm

It's not just the menu, or the prices, its location, location. Generally speaking once you are there that's it particularly on dark nights when nobody will want to walk or cycle in any direction. You really need to get your own group together to meet to create your own atmosphere as none of us would be confident to just turn up.

Hence match day is the only guarantee of this.

For what its worth I would suggest an evening where you can have a simple tea with maybe a pint included in the price but show a Morecambe Wembley dvd or even the dvd from the previous league match or similar. I'm sure that would get a few through the turnstile 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Posh wrote:While the food looks fantastic, £9.95 for fish and chips...

HOW MUCH??? Bloody hell, that is even expensive by Isle of Man standards, have they forgotten they are in Morecambe? Or a football ground :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 pm

totally right about location, but point one, if all these lads are there playing footy in the 7 a side league , that is a starting point.
mrpotatohead

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 am

Keith wrote:HOW MUCH??? Bloody hell, that is even expensive by Isle of Man standards, have they forgotten they are in Morecambe? Or a football ground :roll:

Yates' on Church St:
Chicken breast/bacon/melted cheese, chips and peas £1.99 x 2 = £3.98
Bottle of vin rough = £4.95
1st half of the lunchtime match = Free
That's £8.93, lunch and wine for 2 + free footie.
Plain Peter

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:20 am

marky No.1 wrote:It's not just the menu, or the prices, its location, location. Generally speaking once you are there that's it particularly on dark nights when nobody will want to walk or cycle in any direction. You really need to get your own group together to meet to create your own atmosphere as none of us would be confident to just turn up.

Hence match day is the only guarantee of this.

For what its worth I would suggest an evening where you can have a simple tea with maybe a pint included in the price but show a Morecambe Wembley dvd or even the dvd from the previous league match or similar. I'm sure that would get a few through the turnstile 8-)

What! You have you go through a tunstile to get into the bar now :!: :?:
heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:40 am

and you have the Mitchell just down the road with a full food menu and reasonable prices.

Also the people that used to Carvery at Uppy Downy years ago and then had the cafe on Pedder street in Kennedy's butchers have started doing food at the Park Hotel.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:03 pm

P/T Indie wrote:and you have the Mitchell just down the road with a full food menu and reasonable prices.

Also the people that used to Carvery at Uppy Downy years ago and then had the cafe on Pedder street in Kennedy's butchers have started doing food at the Park Hotel.

......which only goes to show that The Globe B and G has a lot of local competition in this sector and therefore needs to provide something additional that others can't or don't wish to.
Christies Child

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Christies Child wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:and you have the Mitchell just down the road with a full food menu and reasonable prices.

......which only goes to show that The Globe B and G has a lot of local competition in this sector and therefore needs to provide something additional that others can't or don't wish to.

Topless barmaids anyone? :oops: :oops: :oops: ;)
Blackburn shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Blackburn shrimp wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Topless barmaids anyone? :oops: :oops: :oops: ;)

ms haining.YES
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Next

Return to General Discussion