O/T Ryan Zico Black

O/T Ryan Zico Black

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 am

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index.ph ... Itemid=111

Lost count of the number of clubs Ryan's had.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Ryan Zico Black

Postby The Fury » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:49 am

Doing a little digging, it seems San Fulgencio are managed by our ex striker Gary Williams. I think Zico was a little after his time, wasn't he?

http://www.sanfulgenciocf.com/squad.html
The Fury

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Christies Child wrote:Lost count of the number of clubs Ryan's had.

How about 11?

Bournemouth
Morecambe
Northwich
Glenavon
Lancaster
Kettering
Barrow
Bamber Bridge
Fylde
Rossendale

Think he revisited 1 or 2 on the way and wrote a book, which we discussed at the time I think :?
zico.jpg
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Zico was a few years after Gary, yeah. Gary made his debut for us in 1996/97 season - as I recall in an FA Trophy match away at Bradford Park Avenue, but I could well be wrong on that. It might have been a match or two earlier but I definitely remember him playing at BPA.

He earned some big money moves too did Gary between us, Accy Stanley and Donny Rovers.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm

I was told a fact about Zico, dont know if it was true

never played a full 90 minute game for Morecambe.
halftimeresults

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Another book which is well worth reading Marky is "Gazza 39 days at Kettering."

It tells in great depth all about Zico's signing for Kettering and his "nightmare" (from Zico's point of view) time at the club.
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm

halftimeresults wrote:I was told a fact about Zico, dont know if it was true

If it was a fact it must be true
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Another book which is well worth reading Marky is "Gazza 39 days at Kettering."

Ah yes:
“Other than a pub, a football club must be the worst place in the world for an alcoholic who cannot resist the temptation — the place is full of drink.”

Apart from half time of course :lol:
marky No.1

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:13 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

Good point :lol:
halftimeresults

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 pm

halftimeresults wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

Good point :lol:

"And now for Hodgies Half Time Results that are so factual they must be true"

:lol:
Seasider9601

Postby essex_shrimp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Really wow he has moved a lot in his young life.

I was thinking i did this Colchester , Braintree , Morecambe , Stowmarket , Woolwich(charlton)the best london team of course.
Wow five time I am only nearly 25 and this player has now gone past eleven clubs?
essex_shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:43 pm

essex_shrimp wrote:Really wow he has moved a lot in his young life.

I was thinking i did this Colchester , Braintree , Morecambe , Stowmarket , Woolwich(charlton)the best london team of course.
Wow five time I am only nearly 25 and this player has now gone past eleven clubs?

Some of them Darren, with 2 spells. Lancaster he had 2 spells at and I think I'm right in saying he has represented Bamber Bridge in 2 seperate spells as well.
Seasider9601

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

More sub appearances than starts definitely.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... erid=18133
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby essex_shrimp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:49 pm

Well this player is still young I guess.

At first I was thinking this was a joking post but eleven teams already and twice with Lancaster wow.

Zico I lived in Braintree they have a football team in Unibond league join this team if want :D
essex_shrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Some more facts:
He couldn't handle the bounce of Giant Axe pitch.
He never mentioned that his name was used as an answer to the first and only prize for a season ticket to Lancaster City for the 2006/07 season. I won it :lol: :lol:
His name is Ryan Zico-Black, or is it Ryan-Zico Black? Whatever, one of them is right :lol:
Patrick Thistle fans, at a thoroughly enjoyable pre-season friendly at Giant Axe, thought that 'couldn't hit a barn-door' Ben Jones was Zico.
Last edited by Plain Peter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Peter

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:32 pm

review of his book

Any footballer who has the middle name Zico is a bit special and that is certainly the case with Ryan `Zico' Black, named after the famous Brazilian footballer.

An exotic middle name isn't the only thing that makes Ryan stand out. He is also one of the few professional footballers to come out of Guernsey; not surprisingly Ryan's hero is Matt Le Tissier, Guernsey's most famous son who played for the same youth team as Ryan.

And another note of distinction is that Ryan has fulfilled a lifetime's ambition and written a book.

If, like me, you are tired of the premiership then Ryan Zico Black, an autobiography of a non-league footballer, is the perfect antidote and available to you for a fraction of the cost of the cheapest seats at Old Trafford or the Emirates Stadium. The autobiography takes us through the trials and tribulations of a footballer trying to make the grade. It is a motivating, moving and honest chronicle of someone driven by a real love of football and a stubborn determination to succeed.

Ryan's autobiography is a fascinating insight into football at the lower ends of the game. I lost track of all the clubs with which Ryan was associated but it reads like an A-Z of the football pyramid. By my reckoning his journey includes Southampton, Bournemouth, Northwhich Victoria, Plymouth, Reading, Exeter, Preston, Squire's Gate, Northern Ireland Under 18's, Under 21's, Morecombe (three times), Barrow, Glenavon, Lancaster and Kettering.

Ryan's story should also serve as an inspiration to all young people who have to leave their local shores to pursue further study or a chosen career. Ryan's story shows that it's not easy and parents will recognise the phone calls home when things aren't going well. Also most of us can identify with experiencing dodgy bedsits, although it is typical of Ryan that he goes that bit further and manages to flood one of his rooms and has to do a moonlight flit to avoid the angry landlord.

Ryan's first three chapters tell of his childhood in Guernsey and the beginnings of the move to non-league football. Ryan admits that school and studying weren't his strong points but he is typically generous in his fondness for certain teachers.

The book then takes us through the various highs and lows of Ryan's career. There are highs aplenty and his honest accounts are usually written from a fan's perspective. That is particularly evident when he describes his excitement at top games such as representative games for Northern Ireland and Cup matches against Ipswich and Cambridge. His pride at being on Match of the Day is something that we can all share:

`The Game was to be shown as featured highlights on Match of the Day. I couldn't wait for that and for all my friends and family to watch me play on TV. I always watched Match of the Day growing up so I was excited to think that I would be on there too.'

He is equally frank about the lows. His prolonged negotiations with Morecombe for a rise, for example, are obviously a struggle for someone who seems straightforward and honest and expects everyone to behave in the same way. His experience in being transferred to Kettering as one of Gazza's first signings shows the bizarre nature of football and, worryingly for the game, that episode does not seem exceptional. He also relates the time that a new Lancaster chairman was announced, and had grand ideas for turning the club into a premier league side: `Gary rang me from Lancaster to tell me that the multi-millionaire businessman was a hoax and had been lying all the time and he was actually a door to door salesman and delivered newspapers.'

There are some idiosyncracies. Ryan writes like he talks and the book is refreshingly free of a ghost writer.

At times there are too many accounts of matches but, again, that is simply the product of a writer who really loves his football and wants to share his experiences.

Some of the non-footballing elements are very enjoyable. Ryan's love for his family and friends is clear and I took particular pleasure from Ryan's attempts to woo his girlfriend.

The book is an easy read and refreshingly honest. Ryan's story should motivate us all and remind us that achievement is 5% inspiration and 95% dedication. In Ryan's words:

`There is no other job in the world that I would do rather than to play football and I am fortunate to be able to make a living from the game.'
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:43 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

This reply was brought to you by 'Pedants 'R' Us' :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 pm

This reply was brought to you by 'Pedants 'R' Us'

I was so glad you included yourself in there Keith, mate ;)
morecambe mick

Return to General Discussion