Globe arena

Globe arena

Postby Kent Shrimp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:02 am

Have been an avid shrimp fan for all of 63+ years and perhaps one of the elite who attended the first wembley victory (and the most recent) and who can still remember the likes of Borrowdale and Fawcett to name but two greats. Not easy for me to get to home games as I live in Kent but I saw my first game at the globe against Barnet (was not best pleased with the first half). My question is: All the early projections showed the new stadium covered on all sides. Why was this not achieved. I stood on the uncovered terrace in the sunshine which was considerably warmer than the game. However undimmed I am convinced we will come good and I look forward to the shrimps walloping gillingham at the priestfield unlike the last time when they lost 5-0.
Kent Shrimp

Re: Globe arena

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:19 am

Welcome to SVs. Where have you been all these years...? :lol:

Good to see another 'youngster' like myself taking the time to contributing to the site.

With regards to your question about The Globe. It was, as with everything in life, due to the finances. The money from the sale of Chrisite didn't provide the level of interest expected when it was invested. Hence when it came to how much was available it didin't provide the funds originally predicted. Also as with all projects of such a size, the original build costs increased by virtue of a considerable hike in raw materials.

As a result the Board had to cut back on certain areas which has given rise to a number of concerns about the finished item in the eyes of some fans. It was unfortunate, but these things happen and couldn't have been predicted to have had such an effect on the project.

For me and others, despite the concerns, we have a tremendous facility that will generate the necessary income for the club not to have to rely on the Board for the bulk of the finances to run the club.

:) :) :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:09 am

rat.jpg
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:25 am

William, see you at Priestfield for a reversal of that 5-0 drubbing last time !
ps I'm in East Kent, where abouts are you ?
Andy
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:52 am

William Blacktop? Sounds like the name of someone Will Ferrell would play in a film.
durhamshrimp

Postby Pobble » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

I think you sound a great guy, hope you don`t get called the names I have been called.

william blacktop wrote:Have been an avid shrimp fan for all of 63+ years and perhaps one of the elite who attended the first wembley victory (and the most recent) and who can still remember the likes of Borrowdale and Fawcett to name but two greats. Not easy for me to get to home games as I live in Kent but I saw my first game at the globe against Barnet (was not best pleased with the first half). My question is: All the early projections showed the new stadium covered on all sides. Why was this not achieved. I stood on the uncovered terrace in the sunshine which was considerably warmer than the game. However undimmed I am convinced we will come good and I look forward to the shrimps walloping gillingham at the priestfield unlike the last time when they lost 5-0.
Pobble

Return to General Discussion