Time to go back to small humble Morecambe?

Time to go back to small humble Morecambe?

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:20 am

Since the start of this season our fans have actually believed we could go up, with what is potentially our best squad of players. The pressure it creates and anxiety you feel on the stands has changed (not just because of the new stadium). Many are starting to believe that we are bigger now (which we are) and we are certainly an established league team which nobody relishes playing. This has kind of filtered into the team and supporters where we fully expect to beat most teams (Barnet) but don't. Our squad for the league still had many players in that were present in our conference days keeping that sense of humbleness and the fact we were newly promoted. Now new stadium, new players, new mentality and for some reason its not clicking.
I preferred it when every win was a bonus and teams expected to turn us over each week, think we've lost our biggest advantage in the fact that possibly the players and the fans think we're bigger than we actually are. We're certainly better than others think but it was still an advantage to have that positive party atmosphere like every match was our first in the league. Now the novelty has completely worn off and the fans and players seem to struggle to get pumped for matches!
We need that 'we're a small club' mentality back. Less pressure and more enjoyment!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Re: Time to go back to small humble Morecambe?

Postby sgt major » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:57 am

Interesting point of view, however Morecambe FC are a business as well as just a football club. They need to grow and one way of doing that is to be successful on the field. This will lead inevitably to comparisons being made to the old days and how things used to be.

If you stand still in business you get left behind and Morecambe look to be ambitious enough and personally I believe this team will gel with the mixture of the old heads and the new blood.

As long as we stay in this division this season then we will kick on in the future - people will get used to the new facilities available and hopefully the whole town will prosper if the team get promotion - all businesses should try to back their home team as much as they can (or afford). I personally buy Goldbond tickets - certainly cant afford the advertising packages yet but in the future could do.

No need for humbleness - aim for the top.
sgt major

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm happy for the club to prosper financially and expand, but we seem to have the asme kind of energy as Liverpool at the moment. The fans expect so much and it filters through to the players. On the pitch our mentality should still be: every game is important, need to battle for every point and on the stands we as supporters need to get behind the team and bring the same support we had as if it was our first season. Apart from the walk to the stadium it seems we've lost that buzz around the club.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ockers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

or maybe its just a very tough tight league everyone beating each other like the championship was last season?
we need the squad weve got to battle away and stay in the race
once we're all fully fit I think we should be in a better position too
we're only 4 points off the playoffs :o
a win saturday and we bounce up a few more places
as for the buzz i think it will take time for some to get used to where we are now
teething troubles aside, its our new home and im sure in time that buzz you say is missing (for some i'd add not all) will return
couldnt be a better team to play right now on Saturday than Shrewsbury Town
lets hope they bring plenty of support and we can get a result
ockers

Postby ezz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Missing the point I think, we seemed to play better with more freedom when we were the underdogs. When teams looked down on us was our advantage in every game but now for example we look at teams like Barnet and think we should be beating the likes of them.......sound familiar?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby ockers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm

ezz wrote:Missing the point I think, we seemed to play better with more freedom when we were the underdogs. When teams looked down on us was our advantage in every game but now for example we look at teams like Barnet and think we should be beating the likes of them.......sound familiar?

i disagree
we now have a team of very experienced professionals playing in a much stronger league than we ever have
dependent on the opposition is how we can be allowed to play perhaps is more to the point?
Bury Bradford Barnet Southend all allowed open games
we shouldnt look up or down at any team and why should we
the conference is now well behind us and it wasnt all rosy
7 years ago tonight we went to Scarborough and lost 1 0 and we thought we would push on that season after finishing 2nd!!!
ockers

Postby Bryan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Plenty of passion on the terraces at Bradford from the fans. Poor performances on the pitch haven't helped at home. And the MBW stand is too small. But i think the Mojo is still there after Saturday. We just need a few wins. The Globe is still all a bit new to both players and fans. Thought there was a great atmosphere when we were on top against Bury all the same.

We are a bit of an underdog for Saturday's game so lets see everyone get behind the team and prove that the Globe can become another fortress like Christie. We are a small club still in my opinion. But the new ground has given us the chance to improve on our status. It's all about increasing revenue and attracting better quality players. What's the point in just sitting still and doing nothing? These are exciting times for Shrimps fans.
Bryan

Return to General Discussion