When the chips are down

When the chips are down

Postby Christies Child » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:46 am

Ever noticed that when it appears that the chips are down and out that something happens to lift the gloom and despondency?

Last week we were talking about 2 possible loanees to strengthen our erratic defence. And now after what sounds like a good victory it's possible that Sammy may have a rethink and stay with what he's got.

I for one would prefer to stay with the team of yesterday than gamble on loaness who might be no better than what was on show at Bratford.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: When the chips are down

Postby bill ding » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 am

A team which consisted of mainly last years players so it may be a case of back to basics.
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby essex_shrimp » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:08 am

Agree 100%

What is interesting is what happens when Jevons is fully fit same as Will Haining I do not think Sammy Mac will change the team for Shrews bury game looking at fixtures afterwards looks good no team like Gillingham cough cough same points.

Always see the positives in football I said this last week also
essex_shrimp

Postby marky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:26 am

To be honest, as soon as McCready and Haining are match fit, I can see them coming straight back into the side. No one doubts the leadership and organisational skills of Jim Bentley but he's very much fourth choice central defender behind the aforementioned two and Andy Parrish. Jevons is the interesting one. He can't play as a lone stiker, but to get the best out of Andy Fleming, I believe you need to play him as an attacking midfielder which isn't really possible in a blanket 4-4-2. Therefore, I'm not sure Jevons and Fleming can play in the same side and both be 100% effective. For me, Fleming is the more important player so I wouldn't advocate putting Jevons straight back in the side.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby P/T Indie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:32 am

Yes it reminds me of when we had the tranfer embargo we had to go with what we had and in the long run I think it was better for us.

and last season I still think Sammy stubled upon his team around Oct/Nov when injuries started to kick in.

The thing is we all know what the team should be but it took the injuries for Sammy to realise it.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 am

marky wrote:To be honest, as soon as McCready and Haining are match fit, I can see them coming straight back into the side. No one doubts the leadership and organisational skills of Jim Bentley but he's very much fourth choice central defender behind the aforementioned two and Andy Parrish. Jevons is the interesting one. He can't play as a lone stiker, but to get the best out of Andy Fleming, I believe you need to play him as an attacking midfielder which isn't really possible in a blanket 4-4-2. Therefore, I'm not sure Jevons and Fleming can play in the same side and both be 100% effective. For me, Fleming is the more important player so I wouldn't advocate putting Jevons straight back in the side.

i can see one of them definitely coming back in with Parrish moving over to right-back especially with the Moss situation if Bentley keeps playing well SM will keep him in there
George Dawes

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 am

Yesterday we had 11 players who put in a good shift and know what MFC means to the fans. There were the workshorses like Jimbo and Gaz Hunter, but also more skilful players like Duffy, Fleming and Wilson. All contributed something different but all contributed to getting the result, which in some games this season is something we've been lacking.
Harry

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:58 am

At this level a leader is essential on the pitch, I hope that jim is second on the teamsheet after baz every week.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Morectalk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:00 am

Has to be said though, Bentley really didn't havemuch to do yesterday. Against better sides he could be done for pace when teams are on breakaway attack. Much as I like Bentley for his attitude & commitmnt, he can only consider himself a squad player this season.
Morectalk

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 am

he never has had pace, but that never stopped him leading us to where we are now :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 am

I disagree completely with that, i thought jim was excellent yesterday as he was on tuesday. He made some crucial tackles and cleared everything bradford hoofed up at him as did parrish. Although he doesn't have pace he is definitely not sluggish and still beat some bradford players in chasing balls yesterday.
Morecambe Jack

to me the biggest problem with Jim is

Postby Arnside Red » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 am

his distribution of the ball, just gets hoofed to an opposition player, great leader, great tackler etc I would agree with
Arnside Red

Postby mfcbro » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Just dont get it,we have been leaking goals with mcCready and Parrish and others at the back.So we have a new guy come in a clean sheet a win away from home and people want him out.
mfcbro

Postby Sammy h » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm

mfcbro wrote:Just dont get it,we have been leaking goals with mcCready and Parrish and others at the back.So we have a new guy come in a clean sheet a win away from home and people want him out.

Fair play to you. Your always coming on here defending Jim Bentley. I agree with you he is a great player and our leader.

You can't put yesterdays clean sheet down to him though, it was a team effort. Are you forgetting we conceded four on Tuesday?
Sammy h

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:45 pm

I hope Jim keeps his place. I said a week or two ago that we needed his leadership out there and that I felt that we'd missed him & Artell. He may not be the best defender at the club but he is the best leader and that can make a difference throughout the team. In very simplistic terms, if Jimbo is say 10% worse as a defender than Will Haining, but he gets an extra 3% out of every player on the pitch, then that is a valuable contribution.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I have to say Jim was excellent agains Bury. Some of his last ditch clearences were just amazing. He should keep his place, and i hope he does!
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Keith wrote:I hope Jim keeps his place. I said a week or two ago that we needed his leadership out there and that I felt that we'd missed him & Artell. He may not be the best defender at the club but he is the best leader and that can make a difference throughout the team. In very simplistic terms, if Jimbo is say 10% worse as a defender than Will Haining, but he gets an extra 3% out of every player on the pitch, then that is a valuable contribution.

thats well said by you!
George Dawes

Postby Ntini » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Jim played pretty well at Bradford and wholly deserves to start the next game. The only area, for me, that needs to be improved is at right back. I know that we have two centre-halves out injured, but I think Parrish does better in the middle. Although Garry Hunter will put a decent shift in every time he puts on a Morecambe shirt, he isn't a full back. I appreciate his efforts, as well as the irony that he was being coached throughout the game by Jimbo. However, against a stronger attack I fear he will be overpowered and be a weak link. He needs to be in midfield to be really effective.

Essentially we have two fighting at left back (Wilson & Capaldi), four in the middle (Bentley, Parrish, Haining & McCready) but then only Hunter/Scott for right back, both playing out of position, or not where they are comfortable. Moss appears to be out of Sammy's plans, so my guess would be a right back may be on his way here on loan.... we'll have to wait and see!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby nobbyshrimp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Morectalk wrote:Has to be said though, Bentley really didn't havemuch to do yesterday. Against better sides he could be done for pace when teams are on breakaway attack. Much as I like Bentley for his attitude & commitmnt, he can only consider himself a squad player this season.

Errrr, this Saturday V Shrews. They counter attack down both wings very quickly! Take the wings out and we'll stop them play :!:
nobbyshrimp

Return to General Discussion