O/ T BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME

Re: O/ T BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME

Postby shrimper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:03 pm

'Connected', Stereo MCs - not a weak track on it.
Similarly "Whatever People Say I Am" - Arctic Monkeys (hugely mature for newcomers).

Probably my favourite bands were Roxy Music and The Specials but I can't pick a single album that was so strong all-round. 'Specials' was the best of theirs but it didn't have 'Gangsters' on it and a few of the songs were covers so I can't put that one forward. Roxy had a load of great songs and their first Greatest Hits would be up there if it wasn't disqualified - but there were some weak spots on their other albums.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 pm

christ glen, i thought you would come up with a cockerney job, with ozzie ardelies, banging on about tottingham, hoddle and waddle, and a bit of el tel :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:christ glen, i thought you would come up with a cockerney job, with ozzie ardelies, banging on about tottingham, hoddle and waddle, and a bit of el tel :lol: :lol:

Now, if we're talking about best single....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEMMfV5-Qg
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:02 am

Modern Life Is Rubbish or Parklife by Blur................superb!
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby Stewie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 am

Master of Puppets - Metallica . Defined a whole new genre of music.
Stewie

Postby MancShrimp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 pm

For me

90s Oasis, (What's the story) Morning Glory.

00s Bloc Party, Silent Alarm.
MancShrimp

Postby dave wilky » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Songs in the key of life..Stevie Wonder.
I Am .....Earth Wind & Fire.
Out of the blue...ELO...
MY TOP 3..... :D
dave wilky

Postby George Dawes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Chaz & Dave's greatest hits
George Dawes

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Dave will like this one.

Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery.

EVERY track is unbelievably brilliant. Confusion, Last Train To London, Shine A Little Love, Diary Of Horace Wimp etc etc etc etc etc.

Legend has it that Jeff Lynne wrote Confusion mid frame of snooker with Trevor Francis !!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby matty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Mine would be Radiohead OK Computer - not everyones cup of tea but I love it and can't live without it.

BTW Night of the Opera isn't even Queens greatest album let alone the greatest album in the world ever.
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:48 pm

matty wrote:Mine would be Radiohead OK Computer - not everyones cup of tea but I love it and can't live without it.

BTW Night of the Opera isn't even Queens greatest album let alone the greatest album in the world ever.

One good track on OK Computer Matty: No Surprises.

Top tune !!!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:06 pm

AIRBAG
PARANOID ANDROID
CLIMBING THE WALLS
ELECTIONEERING
LET DOWN
EXIT MUSIC, all excellent songs from mattys choice of album, no surprises, HOW VERY DARE YOU :twisted: :twisted:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Exodus - Bob Marley and The Wailers.
Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd.
morecambe mick

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Like it, love it, hate it. Thriller is the best selling album of all time 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Scotty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Got to agree with two already mentioned:

Dark side of the moon
Master of Puppets
Scotty

Postby Posh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:52 pm

It all depends on my mood. Today I'm feeling like a child of the late 60s and early 70s, so my top 5 today is:

1. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
2. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
3. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
4. Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
5. Curtis - Curtis Mayfield

Tomorrow I'll be all sentimental about going to Manchisto for some sound man in the eighties and it'll be:

1. Screamadelica - Primal Scream
2. Stone Roses - Stone Roses
3. The Smiths - The Smiths
4. Pills Thrills 'n' Bellyaches - Happy Mondays
5. Kurious Oranj - The Fall

And I missed in that REM - Automatic for the People, Mogwai - Young Team and Massive Attack - Blue Lines. It's why top album is a bitch.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Arnside Red » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
matty wrote:Mine would be Radiohead OK Computer - not everyones cup of tea but I love it and can't live without it.

Queen 2 an absolute classic followed by Sheer Heart Attack for me re Queen albums, worst was Hot Space
Arnside Red

Postby jonnythedog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 pm

In making the decision i thought about the albums i've listened to the most and many came to mind. Surrender and Push the Button by Chemical Brothers got me through many a long run, i listened to the first Franz Ferdinand album over and over, The Bends by Radiohead is incredible, I love every Underworld album (Everything Everything is amazing) but the one album that I would say first took my breath away is:

Music for the Jilted Generation by The Prodigy... Poison, Voodoo People, Speedway, Their Law, No Good (Start the Dance). Wow! In fact i think i might listen to it again right now.
jonnythedog

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 am

Morectalk wrote:Fleetwood Mac - who are you, my aunty Mabel ????

Cheeky young whipper-snapper!

I like Tango in the Night but prefer Rumours and Tusk.

Surprised it took Pink Floyd so long to get a mention. I think they went out with one of my all time favourite albums, The Division Bell.

No Beatles or Stones? Voodoo Lounge is my favourite Rolling Stones and is up there. That choice risks a repeat of Matty's remark of 'Voodoo Lounge isn't even the best Rolling Stones album but taken as a whole rather than individual tracks. And Blinded by Rainbows, which wasn't even released as a single is one of my top Stones tracks.

But as a BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME (prepare to stifle the laughter of the uninitiated)...

Pink I'm Not Dead

If you think Pink is some kind of bubblegum pop singer think again and listen to this album. The only album I've ever heard that has not one but two tracks than can/have reduced me to tears and neither of them were released.

Dear Mr President is one of the finest protest songs of all time. I've just watched it again to find a link and it brought me out in goose-bumps yet again. (Remember George W Bush was President at the time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eRApNHSRRk

Conversations With My 13 Year Old Self is a song for every "pissed off, complicated" confused or struggling kid. When I looked for this track on Youtube I found it. One of the comments below reads...

Pink, you are my voice my inspiration. Literally the reason I'm still alive. I was standing there in my room listening to the radio, sinking slowly into depression. Suddenly I grabbed my razor and started hacking away at my wrist. I ran and got my brother's pocket knife when Conversations With My 13 Year Old Self came on. I stopped and listened. And I just stopped. And cried. And I'm still alive. Pink I love you... so much.

Possibly some, like Asper's, will listen to it and be man enough to admit to a tear, I'm happy enough to say I've got a wet eye and a runny nose (again!) from listening to it. There will probably be quite a few more blokes out there who will keep quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLMVdZC-9vs

And if there are thirteen year olds (or any other age) who are struggling, listen to this song, then find someone to talk to. I rest my case for the Best Album of All Time.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Opinionated » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:55 am

Keith wrote:Pink I'm Not Dead

I'm pleasantly surprised by you Keith. Pink is majorly underestimated and often misinterpreted. I also agree with your recognition of Dear Mr President, a time defining song
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby Opinionated » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 am

shrimper wrote:Similarly "Whatever People Say I Am" - Arctic Monkeys (hugely mature for newcomers).

Take your point about the impact they made but realistically that album was instrumentally basic with catchy yet harsh lyrics which made the Arctic Monkeys 'cool'.

But their third album 'Humbug' is something else. This is the album that sticks two fingers up to their early day 'bandwagon' fans. I get the feeling with this album that they have become what they aimed to be when they first started. I once read a review that described Humbug as an album which you need to lie down to in which to listen to it. It's an intellectual challenge trying to define the meaning of such songs. A new image including leather jackets and long hair has made them the ultimate rock band. 'Secret Door' and 'Dance Little Liar' are two sceptically stunning songs which will leave their old fans wondering 'Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys'.

NME wrote:You do wonder whether, in their treehouse, the Arctic Monkeys haven’t got a copy of the lyrics to ‘Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?’ pasted to the wall, with the important bits circled. Never were truer words spoken in drawl: “Stick to the guns. Don’t care if it’s marketing suicide…”
So, as they Montgolfier off on the magical balloon ride that is ‘Humbug’, over the side they chuck about half of the fanbase who filled Old Trafford like so many sandbags. Goodbye proper-tunes people! This is not for you.

It’s not unexpected. What could a band with such a massive fanbase possibly want in life? A smaller, more discerning fanbase, of course. Seasoned Monkeys-watchers have been waiting for their balls to fully descend for a while now, and these songs are pretty much what you’d expect if you put a bunch of gaga QOTSA fanboys in a room with their idol – a grinding peyote-trip of desert rock.

And, like any good peyote trip, ‘Humbug’ can often feel sticky, claustrophobic, like your heart is going to explode and about a week long. Which isn’t to say it’s not often brilliant. Just that ‘Humbug’ extends ‘Favourite Worst Nightmare’’s trend for being squat and muscular right up to the border of brutishness.

They’ve always had a clever way of retooling rock clichés – their songs seldom start or end where they were supposed to. On ‘Humbug’, generally, when the words run out, the song ends – as if they’re now so no-compromise that proper segues would just be pandering. Structures are topsy-turvy, often intriguingly. It takes a few listens to figure out just why ‘Secret Door’ feels so unsettled before noticing that the sequence is chorus, verse, bridge, verse, bridge, chorus, chorus. For all its righteous fury, there are moments when they don’t find that extra gear, and the trade-off between texture and songwriting unbalances in their haste to zag away into the future.

Band album it may be, but only the snarling cipher of Alex Turner can ever truly star in this show. Over ‘My Propeller’’s uncoiling high-wire riff, his opening line falls light as a feather. “If you can summon the strength”, then a pause – an elegant, brilliantly theatrical, pause, “tell me”. If Miles Davis is all about the ‘spaces in between the notes’, then Turner is now mastering the spaces between the words. His delivery has become super-sentient; the twists and turns of his lips are immaculate.

Underwhelming when it first landed, repetition allows ‘Crying Lightning’’s knotty chorus to finally twine itself around the mind. The heavier-than-hell ‘Potion Approaching’ gives way to the grind of ‘Fire And The Thud’ and ‘Dance Little Liar’, the sweaty torpor only lifting for the Ford-produced standout ‘Cornerstone’ before the sonic heat finds its apex in the nonsense-poetry strafe attack of ‘Pretty Visitors’.

Here is the wake-up call for everyone who assumed in 2006 that Alex Turner was some sort of People’s Poet. He’s a poet alright, but rather than pour himself into his art like a latter-day Morrissey, he seems to have spent the intervening years stepping away from himself. So the first-personal vignettes of jackpots-from-fruit machines that made way for the third-person observations of sex-starved housewives have in turn been shunted aside for a perspective so loose its practically cubist. “We embellished the banks of our bloodstreams, and threw caution to the colourful”. Que? ‘Humbug’ confirms his genius, but in a way that’s often more abstract than moving.

In the world’s oldest critical get-out clause, it’s a grower. One for the fans. Brave. Challenging. And all the other clichés that suggest that the Monkeys have reached the point where the people who love them a lot will clutch them even closer to their hearts, and the people who kinda liked ’em will be wondering who the fuck they are in five years’ time.

If ‘My Propeller’ was the foreboding opening overture, then ‘The Jeweller’s Hand’ is its fellow bookend. The trip is over. But rather than the veil of madness lifting, we follow the piper’s tune over the hills into Mad Land. “A procession of pioneers” proffers Turner, pausing again mid-sentence with priestly authority as the ground gives way beneath us, “all drowned”. Well, of course they did, you cynical bastards. No-one gets out alive in the Arctics’ world. They’re fatalistic, smirking sceptics who’ll never, ever take the soft option. They’re exactly the sort of rock’n’roll band you shouldn’t put your life in the hands of. And that’s exactly why you should love them even more.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Cheers Opinionated!

Posh wrote:1. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

I went to see Van Morrison a few years ago. He was so truly awful both in terms of singing and as a human being that I have literally never listened to any of his albums since. He murdered his own material that night, I would do better singing 'Moondance' at karaoke, those of you who have suffered my occasional attempt will have some context as to how appalling he was.

I got my own back though! I illegally downloaded his last album but then refused to listen to it! HA! THAT'LL TEACH HIM!

The following evening we went to see Fun Lovin' Criminals. That was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Opinionated wrote:
shrimper wrote:Similarly "Whatever People Say I Am" - Arctic Monkeys (hugely mature for newcomers).

"Take your point about the impact they made but realistically that album was instrumentally basic with catchy yet harsh lyrics which made the Arctic Monkeys 'cool'.

But their third album 'Humbug' is something else. This is the album that sticks two fingers up to their early day 'bandwagon' fans. I get the feeling with this album that they have become what they aimed to be when they first started. I once read a review that described Humbug as an album which you need to lie down to in which to listen to it. It's an intellectual challenge trying to define the meaning of such songs. A new image including leather jackets and long hair has made them the ultimate rock band. 'Secret Door' and 'Dance Little Liar' are two sceptically stunning songs which will leave their old fans wondering 'Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys'."

Mmm! pretentious NME self-indulgence aside..... The album I like was a great one, raw as it was. And a sign of things to come (whether they came or not). I like its energy and honesty.
shrimper

Postby Suzi Quatro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

That us a hard one to call.

1) The Velvet Underground And Nico
2)David Bowie--Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars.
3)Lennon Legend.
Suzi Quatro

Postby Aspers » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Another 1 I let slip,must do better.
Having met PINK she is 1 ballsy lady and an incredible artist, sexy as too.
For me I think MEATLOAF is 1 of the best.
I went to see him in concert in Brighton in about 86 and it was an amazing performance.
8-)
Aspers

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion