THE "VISITOR AT IT AGAIN"

THE "VISITOR AT IT AGAIN"

Postby 1953 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

In the list of results each week ,Morecambe's score is always first whether we are playing away or at home. Southend result:- 2-3. I really despair at times :roll: :evil:

Re: THE "VISITOR AT IT AGAIN"

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm of the opinion too that they should put some sort of "boxed" display advert on the back page of the paper (Sports section) to promote our next, say, 2 games.

The fixtures section (about 2 pages in from the back) details them admitedly, but it's hardly eye catching.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Anybody else feel that the amount of space given to our club in the local rag doesn't do justice to a now established League club?

Gone are the days when we had a complete double page spread on reports and news.... :cry:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Gone, also, are the days when The Visitor had enough staff to do the job we'd all, in an ideal world, like to see them do (including those reporters and editorial managers that have stuck it out).

Take it from me, they work hard enough nowadays just to make sure there's a paper out each week.

Not saying your comments aren't valid, just that it's an increasingly difficult job for the few remaining staff that Johnston Press have decided is the absolute bare minimum they need to continue.

The parent company can't keep making the severe cutbacks they have and expect to continue to put out the same quality of product they did years ago - that's no reflection on the people still working there, just a sign of the times.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I for one sincerely hope that The Visitor doesn't go the way of too many local newspapers.....vanishing from the news stands!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_red » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 pm

shrimper wrote:Gone, also, are the days when The Visitor had enough staff to do the job we'd all, in an ideal world, like to see them do (including those reporters and editorial managers that have stuck it out).

Take it from me, they work hard enough nowadays just to make sure there's a paper out each week.

Not saying your comments aren't valid, just that it's an increasingly difficult job for the few remaining staff that Johnston Press have decided is the absolute bare minimum they need to continue.

The parent company can't keep making the severe cutbacks they have and expect to continue to put out the same quality of product they did years ago - that's no reflection on the people still working there, just a sign of the times.

Hi Shrimper, I've seen you mention this a number of times. I assume you either do, or have worked on it in the past would this be right?

I wonder would it be possible to allow for 3rd party articles to be included in the paper. By doing so this should add more substance at a minimal or indeed no additional cost. For example I'm sure there must be some young journalist at Uni or College who would snap up the opportunity to get there name in the paper. Thus giving them some experience and also making the paper more community based. (this doesn't necessarily have to be in the sports section either).

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm barking mad or if this idea has already been implemented.
Heysham_red

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 pm

I would imagine the printworkers union would have a field day :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 pm

The coverage isnt much better than the Lancashire evening post which still has our reports in with the non league teams!! And if we play on a tuesday night it hardly gets a mention on a wednesday!! Always thought the Visitor was morecambe based for morecambe news and the surrounding areas were covered by the morecambe and lancaster guardian. Th visitor might as well merge with the guardian
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm somewhat surprised the LEP can fit us in at all in and amongst the never ending mentions of "Sir Tom" and the Nob Enders in general !!!!

Working as I do in Preston, the people that buy it here (the LEP) have a sweep everyday to have a guess how many times Sir Tom will be mentioned in that days issue !
Seasider9601

Postby Gnasher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:The coverage isnt much better than the Lancashire evening post which still has our reports in with the non league teams!! And if we play on a tuesday night it hardly gets a mention on a wednesday!! Always thought the Visitor was morecambe based for morecambe news and the surrounding areas were covered by the morecambe and lancaster guardian. Th visitor might as well merge with the guardian

The visitor is available to buy hours before a Tuesday match kicks off so little chance of getting it in that edition. A week later it's old news and is more likely to appear online than in print.

Bring back the Citizen.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby sgt major » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am

Bring back "Gazzetta De La Shrimp" ;)
sgt major

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 am

sgt major wrote:Bring back "Gazzetta De La Shrimp" ;)

What a mighty fine idea Mr D ! ! ! ! !

Over to YOU ! ! ! ;)
Seasider9601

Return to General Discussion