Wish me luck!

Wish me luck!

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

This Thursday i'll be flying out to Nairobi on an overnight flight, then a short hop on an internal flight to Kilimanjaro airport on Friday morning. My attempt of scaling Mt Kilimanjaro will begin on Saturday morning and hopefully by the early hours of next Thursday morning I will be looking out from the roof of Africa.

Wish me luck! :D

And please don't forget that this is all in aid of CancerCare, please visit my fundraising site and give what you can.

Thanks

Paul.

http://www.justgiving.com/paulisclimbing
North Stand Shrimp

Re: Wish me luck!

Postby Happy Harry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Good luck Paul! I dont know you, but you are getting the trip of a lifetime and able to raise money at the same time. Good on you.

However, I think I am suffering from 'justgiving' fatigue. I used to attend a different forum where it seemed like every other week someone was asking for money for one charity or another and kept bringing it back to the top demanding donations. The charities have really jumped on the internet age (as they would), but I am starting to resent being asked so often. I think if they are not careful there will be a backlash and many people will stop donating. I would be interested in others views.

Before I get labled a skinflint, I have recently sponsored someone from work who is doing the Great North Run and I also have a standing order of £10 a month for Oxfam, but in both cases I wasnt asked, I just decided.

Not putting Paul's superb effort in any doubt, that is some challenge, but I would be asking friends, family, colleagues and people I know. Have a safe and successful trip Paul and good luck with reaching your target.
Happy Harry

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

I would be interested in others views.

i donated last year and didnt even get a thankyou :(
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 pm

good luck mate, i will make a donation via mark like last time :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 am

Happy Harry wrote:However, I think I am suffering from 'justgiving' fatigue. I used to attend a different forum where it seemed like every other week someone was asking for money for one charity or another and kept bringing it back to the top demanding donations. The charities have really jumped on the internet age (as they would), but I am starting to resent being asked so often. I think if they are not careful there will be a backlash and many people will stop donating. I would be interested in others views.

I must admit, I know what you mean and I share that view to a certain degree. Last week, in two days I got three e-mails or texts requesting a donation for different people/fundraising efforts.

The flip side, I work for a charity and I know that the economic difficulties are already biting and so voluntary income is going to become more and more important just as people have less money available to donate, so every bit helps. Also using the internet has made it possible for individuals to reach a wider audience.

My view is as long as posters don't try to make readers uncomfortable for choosing not to donate, then that is fine to advertise your personal charity efforts. I know Paul has been very successful raising money for different charities so good luck to him and good luck on the trip.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 am

I completely see your point Happy Harry. My family and friends have been extremely generous with donations and they have also given their time up to do collections and other events such as the Manchester 10km and the cross bay walk so I think I have probably exhausted them as a resource, which is why I was casting the net further and asking fellow Morecambe supporters for help.
After this last challenge I shall be having a long break from fund-raising as I am completely knackered from being on a non-stop fund-raising drive for nearly 2 years now! Morecambe Fc supporters have been absolutely fantastic in supporting me everytime i've asked and I'd like to say a massive thank you to everyone of you who have sponsored me for my various events, I apologise if I haven't personally thanked every donation in the past, I usually do and you must have slipped through the net if I haven't. :?

Thanks for the messages of good luck, please keep them coming, I realise money is tight and there are lots of good causes out there after your cash, but a good luck message is free and really is appreciated! :D
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Lloydie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 am

I know how it is as well on the fundraising stakes, when we did the GNR in 2007 we raised £1100 or so, think this time we will just get over half this at this rate. I hate the asking of people to sponsor me especially in this day and age, so tend to hide a bit behind emails / facebook etc rather than feeling like I'm pressurising people face to face.

On that note, the link to my page is in my signature! any help much appreciated 8-)

Paul - We've swapped £20's now so all sqaure :D
Lloydie

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 am

Yes it's much harder this time and have had to think of other ways of getting the money instead of just asking the same old family and friends etc

Getting all the lasses at work to bake cakes and sell them was the most successful way as people are getting something for their money so don't mind as much.

Also running a sweepstake on how long it's going to take me is popular as people have the chance of winning some cash.

Thing is if we are struggling a bit imagine what it must be like for the actual charities.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 am

P/T Indie wrote:Thing is if we are struggling a bit imagine what it must be like for the actual charities.

The small and local charities are really struggling but the large events such as Comic relief and Children in need still manage record amounts each year.

I think what it comes down to is that when people are feeling the pinch they will pick and choose more thoughtfully when giving. The big organised television fund-raising events do a great job by combining celebrity, entertainment and sombre videos of the people they are fund-raising for. with the resources they have it's no surprise they are still pulling in big money.

I have made a decision in recent years to give what I would have normally given to these televised events to other local charities instead, who support the local community.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

what a wonderful bunch of people Shrimpvoices are nowadays!

over 300 views on this thread and I can't even count the good lucks on one hand, instead we get a discussion about how everyone is sick of being asked to give to charity.

This will be my last post on Shrimpsvoices, it isn't the same it used to be.

Bye bye.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Sorry you feel that way paul, I do not think anyone has said anything untoward about your efforts, and any comment at all bumps your post, as this is MFCS only decent forum i would think again before jumping ship, good luck again anyway :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Sammy h » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 pm

I think you also have to take into consideration that the majority of readers on here are guests.

Bit of an over reaction if I'm honest. Good luck though.
Sammy h

Postby jonnythedog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Best of luck with the climb Paul. Amazing challenge.
jonnythedog

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 am

Keith wrote:My view is as long as posters don't try to make readers uncomfortable for choosing not to donate, then that is fine to advertise your personal charity efforts. I know Paul has been very successful raising money for different charities so good luck to him and good luck on the trip.

North Stand Shrimp wrote:what a wonderful bunch of people Shrimpvoices are nowadays!

over 300 views on this thread and I can't even count the good lucks on one hand, instead we get a discussion about how everyone is sick of being asked to give to charity.

This will be my last post on Shrimpsvoices, it isn't the same it used to be.

Bye bye.

Surprised and saddened by that comment Paul.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion