Staying up, whatever the cost!

Re: Staying up, whatever the cost!

Postby Posh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 am

Singapore Shrimp wrote:Of course cancelling a large part of this year's preseason games won't have helped

There does seem to be a consensus about pre-season. Yet I don't think it's an excuse. We lost three home games yet replaced those with games against Wrexham, Northwich and Blackburn Rovers. We then decided to cancel games against Lancaster City and Workington apparently because of the quality of the opposition. If anything the real problem was getting beaten in the majority of the games we did play.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Dazzer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Simply Ned wrote:Last season the difference between the top and bottom of the division was marginal. Despite our high finish we constantly had less possession in matches than our opponents but always managed to score. Opposition managers put our strength in the scoring department down to our set pieces and not our general play. Invariably we would have Artell and Bentley in the mix for set pieces and even when they were not scoring their presence and knock downs supplied others.

I actually think that's an excellent point, it's something that crossed my mind as soon as I heard Artell was moving on and now in the games I've seen this season, with precious few chances coming from open play, I feel we really are missing that presence at set pieces.
Dazzer

Postby Number 1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm glad Ned has posted so early, because his seasonal post of criticism generally signals an upturn in the teams fortunes doesn't it? I'm sure he'll be as delighted as the rest of us if this scenario continues!

Seriously though, the only thing I would disagree with in what Ned says would be that the board would accept 3rd bottom. I think we all know that Morecambe Football Club is better than that, although current form would suggest otherwise.

Without suggesting that the management team should lose their jobs, one does have to wonder whether certain out of work managers would make a better fist of things, given the playing personnel we now have at our disposal. Whilst there are some top names there, who probably wouldn't entertain a drop into League 2, there are also some who certainly would, and a glance at the LMA list of available managers does make one wonder just who would apply should the situation become vacant. It is for this reason that I am convinced we will be ok. We will all wish Sammy the best in turning things around, but if not, then with the stadium, and players we now have, MFC would be an attractive proposition for a well known manager with a decent track record to take the helm.
Number 1

Postby USA Shrimp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Number 1 wrote: MFC would be an attractive proposition for a well known manager with a decent track record to take the helm.

Well known manager? What, like erm... what's his name, you know, former top international player with hugely successful club, incredibly skillful, respected and recognized around football as a legend. Sound like anybody you know round these parts?

Decent track record? Proven winner with experience at this level. Knows the league and the players in it. Succeeded in bringing promotion where before stasis had taken hold. Took a club new to the football league to very high finishes, including their highest finish in their entire history. Does that sound like a decent track record to you? :x

I thought silly season was over once the real games got underway. Apparently not :roll:
USA Shrimp

Postby trojan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:46 pm

USA Shrimp wrote:
Number 1 wrote: MFC would be an attractive proposition for a well known manager with a decent track record to take the helm.

Well known manager? What, like erm... what's his name, you know, former top international player with hugely successful club, incredibly skillful, respected and recognized around football as a legend. Sound like anybody you know round these parts?

Decent track record? Proven winner with experience at this level. Knows the league and the players in it. Succeeded in bringing promotion where before stasis had taken hold. Took a club new to the football league to very high finishes, including their highest finish in their entire history. Does that sound like a decent track record to you? :x

I thought silly season was over once the real games got underway. Apparently not :roll:

What ???? You don't mean Peter Taylor do you ????????? :lol:
trojan

Postby Troy Trotter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 pm

trojan wrote:
USA Shrimp wrote:

What ???? You don't mean Peter Taylor do you ????????? :lol:
lets get coleman
Did someone say there were shrimps out here.
Troy Trotter

Postby Number 1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm

USA and Trojan, you took my post out of context, so I'll ignore the sarcasm which lay within your replies. I'm not sure if you read the bit that said that I wasn't suggesting that Sammy loses his job. I want Sammy to succeed as much as the next man, but it's not up to me, and it's not up to you either, it's up to the board. Sammy's credentials speak for themselves, no one doubts that, certainly not me and he's taken the side to uncharted heights, but football's a tough business and plenty of managers do lose their jobs when past successes can't be repeated. The fact is, you can't live off your past glories, and my point was merely the fact that the club is now in a situation where they could potentially attract a manager of decent calibre now should the board decide that there had to be a change if they were unhappy about results.
Number 1

Previous

Return to General Discussion