Staying up, whatever the cost!

Staying up, whatever the cost!

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:06 pm

With the Globe infrastructure and team funding in place the manager could be forgiven for encouraging the optimistic hype in the build up to the season. Unfortunately the team’s present football predicament was not in the script and with the cost of failure unthinkable I would personally take a 3rd bottom finish now and privately I suspect so would the Directors.
Sammy and Lillis are understandably under pressure as the wheels have come off the team and their efforts at fixing don’t appear to be working. Sammy is at odds with many fans as he maintains the problems are not down to the formation but are the fault of the players who keep making basic mistakes. Perhaps he is right but he must also take responsibility because reoccurring basic mistakes are one of the reasons why players at this level are released by clubs and is where a manager’s recruitment choice is critical. It was also the manager’s decision to disregard the warnings from the poor pre-season performances when hindsight stats show that teams who have poor starts to the season usually have also had poor pre-seasons.
The team has no divine right to stay in this division and judging by what we have seen to date the team has more than justified its’ intention to hold on to the bottom spot in the division. Last season the difference between the top and bottom of the division was marginal. Despite our high finish we constantly had less possession in matches than our opponents but always managed to score. Opposition managers put our strength in the scoring department down to our set pieces and not our general play. Invariably we would have Artell and Bentley in the mix for set pieces and even when they were not scoring their presence and knock downs supplied others. I believe the manager has lost this option and the evidence of the loss is there for all to see.

Of course on the back of his previous contributions the manager deserves time (not a custodial sentence) to turn things around. Perhaps even now he is thinking about the introduction of a couple of loan players who may have the same impact as Panther did.

In the meantime perhaps poster MfcChris with his.. “true supporters don’t criticise the players and manager as it is de-motivating” can explain the following:- If the reasoning is true then is it not equally or more de-motivating for the players when the manager rips into them at half time and full time with foul language and heavy criticism? Why is it ok for the manager to criticise but not supporters?
Ned

Re: Staying up, whatever the cost!

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm

So.......how about dem yankees?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Happy with 3rd from bottom? :lol: What planet are you on?

We have had a poor start to the season and yesterday was a very bad day at the office, but this team will come good. Maybe the start has given us all a reality check but I would be very surprised if we don't make a top ten finish.

Sammy has made some brave decisions changing us from a solid, team of grafters to something a bit more cultured. It was pretty obvious though that we lacked a bit of grit yesterday and certainly leaders. Personally I would bring Bentley back just for this reason and give him the armband too.

It's going to be a tight year with lots of twists to come before May. String 3-4 good results together and we will be knocking on the play-offs before you know it.
Wild Bill

Postby Aspers » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Oh Ned, you are such a wazzark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aspers

Postby ockers » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Aspers wrote:Oh Ned, you are such a wazzark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh yer g'ert wazzock

:lol:
ockers

Postby MancShrimp » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Simply Ned wrote:With the Globe infrastructure and team funding in place the manager could be forgiven for encouraging the optimistic hype in the build up to the season. Unfortunately the team’s present football predicament was not in the script and with the cost of failure unthinkable I would personally take a 3rd bottom finish now and privately I suspect so would the Directors.
Sammy and Lillis are understandably under pressure as the wheels have come off the team and their efforts at fixing don’t appear to be working. Sammy is at odds with many fans as he maintains the problems are not down to the formation but are the fault of the players who keep making basic mistakes. Perhaps he is right but he must also take responsibility because reoccurring basic mistakes are one of the reasons why players at this level are released by clubs and is where a manager’s recruitment choice is critical. It was also the manager’s decision to disregard the warnings from the poor pre-season performances when hindsight stats show that teams who have poor starts to the season usually have also had poor pre-seasons.
The team has no divine right to stay in this division and judging by what we have seen to date the team has more than justified its’ intention to hold on to the bottom spot in the division. Last season the difference between the top and bottom of the division was marginal. Despite our high finish we constantly had less possession in matches than our opponents but always managed to score. Opposition managers put our strength in the scoring department down to our set pieces and not our general play. Invariably we would have Artell and Bentley in the mix for set pieces and even when they were not scoring their presence and knock downs supplied others. I believe the manager has lost this option and the evidence of the loss is there for all to see.

Of course on the back of his previous contributions the manager deserves time (not a custodial sentence) to turn things around. Perhaps even now he is thinking about the introduction of a couple of loan players who may have the same impact as Panther did.

In the meantime perhaps poster MfcChris with his.. “true supporters don’t criticise the players and manager as it is de-motivating” can explain the following:- If the reasoning is true then is it not equally or more de-motivating for the players when the manager rips into them at half time and full time with foul language and heavy criticism? Why is it ok for the manager to criticise but not supporters?

:lol: Ned's going fishing again!
MancShrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:00 pm

who said these forums lack quality? :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Morectalk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:12 pm

People wonder why this forum is critisised, then a bloke makes some valid points & just has the piss taken out of him - well done children.
Morectalk

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Morectalk wrote:People wonder why this forum is critisised, then a bloke makes some valid points & just has the piss taken out of him - well done children.

he as made some Valid points :roll:

i just love it how Ned makes people bite so easy on here :lol:
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:33 pm

It's funny how when you make a negative point its seen as valid because of course surely there's nothing negative about our club??
But when called for positive points people say your deluded or rose tinted.
The only real valid point he made is that Sammy has and deserves time to turn the results around, even that was barely valid as he'd have been given time even if were still there in 3-5 games time as thats how our board of directors roll!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby parceldave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Morectalk wrote:People wonder why this forum is critisised, then a bloke makes some valid points & just has the piss taken out of him - well done children.

Because Ned mentioned in his mostly valid and consrtuctive post that we should be lucky to stay around the bottom three and i think thats what upset them .

Personally i thought it was one of Ned's good one's . ;)
parceldave

Postby essex_shrimp » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Staying up Of course.

I was on the Morecambe site checking out our fixtures from 2000-2001 .

Because I was watching a compedy show on C4.

Just remember we are only 2 wins away from playoffs .

And personally come on you shrimp's get off the manager's back.

We had a delay in the Globe stadium not alot of full training we got a big squad and a good manager. :?:

Why are so many Morecambe fans always nagging Sammy Mac
essex_shrimp

Postby jonnythedog » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

If it wasn't for Ned's post I wouldn't have seen the use of the word "wazzark" for that the first time since my English teacher called me it when i was at school 15 years ago. A combination of that, seeing women attempt the Haka and realising that This Sporting Life is on tonight has pretty much made my day.

Thanks Ned. :lol:
jonnythedog

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 pm

because he reads these forums. ;)
George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:29 pm

DawZi wrote:

because he reads these forums. ;)

no he doesnt..... :roll:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 pm

yes he does. :roll:
George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm

does not :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby parceldave » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm

DawZi wrote:yes he does. :roll:

Yep, how many times did we nag him about changing from 5-3-2 to 4-4-2 and eventually he listened . ;)

So are you gonna tell him this time or do i have to do it again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:43 pm

it was only last season he was on the radio having a pop at the fans forum with some people on here being negative :shock:

what then upset Kieth, Christies Child and a few others :lol:

so lets just say he as read these forums ;)
George Dawes

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Watching Sammy's body language yesterday I would say he knows that there is a lot of flack coming his way. He doesn't need to read this forum to realise that. But if he does read this forum...stop wasting your time on here Sammy and get the bloody team to play attacking football.

:idea: Think pie, peas and gravy...eventually the club will sort it out and we will all be happy little vegemites.
Caged Lion

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Caged Lion wrote:Watching Sammy's body language yesterday I would say he knows that there is a lot of flack coming his way. He doesn't need to read this forum to realise that. But if he does read this forum...stop wasting your time on here Sammy and get the bloody team to play attacking football.

:idea: Think pie, peas and gravy...eventually the club will sort it out and we will all be happy little vegemites.

:lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby MfcChris » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Simply Ned wrote:In the meantime perhaps poster MfcChris with his.. “true supporters don’t criticise the players and manager as it is de-motivating” can explain the following:- If the reasoning is true then is it not equally or more de-motivating for the players when the manager rips into them at half time and full time with foul language and heavy criticism? Why is it ok for the manager to criticise but not supporters?

What on earth are you on about Ned? I never even said anything like that. You obviously were not at the game yesterday with the constant very bad abuse from 30 SECONDS in to the match.
There is the odd negative shout which is fine (I do it myself sometimes) and sometimes negative shouts can be encouragement, especially by the manager at half time, but there is a difference between criticism and horrid abuse.

Anyway, that is the end of that. We are supporters. The clue is in the name.

Are Morecambe, Northampton and Bradford going to finish at the bottom? No. Up the shrimps.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Singapore Shrimp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 am

there must be something wrong with Morecambe's preparation for the start of the season. Its the same each year. Terrible results at the start of the season then challenging for the playoffs by the end.

Of course cancelling a large part of this year's preseason games won't have helped
Singapore Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:56 am

Singapore Shrimp wrote:there must be something wrong with Morecambe's preparation for the start of the season. Its the same each year. Terrible results at the start of the season then challenging for the playoffs by the end.

Of course cancelling a large part of this year's preseason games won't have helped

i think it's been a case of setting your stall out not to concede goals instead of going for it with a you score 2 will score 3 attitude what the players and supporters seem to prefer more exciting

although i liked starting with this 4 5 1 to start off with this year due to our poor away form anyway

but we clearly haven't got anybody capable of doing the lone striker role successfully i know a few(me included) who have been going on about Spencer but we haven't got that much time to play with now if we want to better last seasons finish
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 am

Singapore Shrimp wrote:there must be something wrong with Morecambe's preparation for the start of the season. Its the same each year. Terrible results at the start of the season then challenging for the playoffs by the end.

If we could see the form we usally have in the second part of the season right from the off it's not out of the question that we could challenge for automatic promotion. It was not the best pre season this year with home friendlys being cancelled and replaced with behind closed doors games but you can't blame Sammy for that.

Hopefully Sammy will see Saturdays as a point where things have to change if we don't want to be a the bottom of the table and what better way to start turning things around than a first league win at the Globe Arena!
heysham_mfc

Next

Return to General Discussion