Re: Macclesfield predictions

Postby Opinionated » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 pm

parceldave wrote:Looks like he wasn't the only one ;

BBC Stats- Shots on target = 6

Shots off target = 6

Corners = 6

GOALS = 0

:cry: :cry: :cry:

In all fairness the chances created are a big improvement on our league performances. I know this was an experimental team but surely 4-4-2 is the way to go.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby Posh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Agree about changing formation although can't see a midfield with two wingers and a holding midfielder working.

Meaningless game today in the big scheme of things but another game without a win and a first win for Macc. Highly frustrating after what many perceived to the best squad we've ever had.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Posh wrote:Agree about changing formation although can't see a midfield with two wingers and a holding midfielder working.

Meaningless game today in the big scheme of things but another game without a win and a first win for Macc. Highly frustrating after what many perceived to the best squad we've ever had.

Might be the best we've ever had, but tactically.... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Opinionated » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:32 pm

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/MatchRe ... 54,00.html

Our report of the game suggests we were unlucky not to win never mind not even take the game to penalties. Spencer hit the post and had one cleared off the line while Mullin missed from close range.
Opinionated

Postby marky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Personally I think we are using the right system, just not necessarily with the right players. I'd be all for replacing Moss and Jevons on Saturday...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Spencer sounded a handfull tonight, id just tweak the sytem slighly and start Spencer with Jevons for Oxford away

4 4 1 1

?
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ?
Jevons
Spencer

note i dont know the full extent with injuries
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Pointless game? I saw it as a great chance for the club to progress and possibly play a big league one club to make more money. Also a great chance to get to Wembley. Was anyone calling it pointless when we had Grimsby in the northern final?

Agree about 4 4 2. Will be interesting to hear reeports from people that were there. Lets give Shuker a chance, to me he hasn't been bad. I can't understand all this attention on Rundle, he hasn't impressed me yet.

442 on Saturday please Sammy.
Sammy h

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Not a great game by any means three clear chances first half not much created second half just about sums up a dissapointing game oh and the ref didnt do us any favours either :roll: Decent turnout of shrimps but no drum :o :o :?:
Blackburn shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Paul Mullin misses open goal from 3 yards :?

Looked more like 3 feet from where I was sitting. What made it so amazing was he was pretty much on the right hand post and the ball flew past the left hand post :o

Even Tevez couldn't do that! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Opinionated » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

marky wrote:Personally I think we are using the right system, just not necessarily with the right players. I'd be all for replacing Moss and Jevons on Saturday...

But not Shuker? For the 4-5-1 system to work the striker needs support from both wingers. Firstly Shuker isn't a winger and he isn't giving Jevons anthing to work with. I would have Duffy and Rundle on the wings with the formation becoming more of a 4-3-3 than a 4-5-1.
Opinionated

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 am

I was just thinking exactly the same - in a bid to try to work out the best system from the players we have.

Something like:

Roche/Walker

Parrish McCready Haining Wilson

Scott

Stanley Fleming

Duffy/Hendrie Jevons/Mullin Rundle

Hendrie has played as a winger and a striker and has scored goals so we need to see how he performs at this level. Ordinarily you'd want to bring him on gradually but none of the others have really impressed enough to guarantee themselves a place. I'd give him a go. Maybe not from the start but certainly more than 10 minutes at the end.

Apart from his missed sitter, Mullin put in a decent shift last night but isn't a prolific finisher. IF you start with him then you have to rely on others like Hendrie, Rundle or Fleming to be close enough to him to pick up the pieces and find the net.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

shrimper wrote:I was just thinking exactly the same - in a bid to try to work out the best system from the players we have.

Something like:

Roche/Walker

Scott

Stanley Fleming

Duffy/Hendrie Jevons/Mullin Rundle

Hendrie has played as a winger and a striker and has scored goals so we need to see how he performs at this level. Ordinarily you'd want to bring him on gradually but none of the others have really impressed enough to guarantee themselves a place. I'd give him a go. Maybe not from the start but certainly more than 10 minutes at the end.

Apart from his missed sitter, Mullin put in a decent shift last night but isn't a prolific finisher. IF you start with him then you have to rely on others like Hendrie, Rundle or Fleming to be close enough to him to pick up the pieces and find the net.

and no Spencer ?

for me it's tactical mathematics's you either play one striker or sacrifice a central midfielder

Stanley Scott Fleming for me you pick two out of these three ??

you pick defensively your best central midfielder(Scott) then you pick your best attacking midfielder(Fleming) = no Craig Stanley

we have nobody in our squad capable of playing lone striker apart from potentially Spencer who can use his feet aswell as his head unlike Mullin
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Spencer's an option as the target man, fair enough.

Mullin held the ball up well with his feet last night and usually does. He's not the quickest though.

But I don't think leaving Stanners out is an option. He's been terrific so far and, IMO, the reason Fleming can show his skills in an attacking role is because he has Scott covering and Stanners doing a lot of hard work.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 pm

it's certainly a dilemma because all three of them have been playing well.

it's just a case of getting that fine balance with defence & attack just a matter of time :|
George Dawes

Postby essex_shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Well Do you think Morecambe should go 4-4-2 vs Oxford on Saturday.

Do you think Haining deserves a start because we could push Parrish into the right back place.

Or do you think William should stay on the bench.

I think Morecambe should go Duffy , Stanley , Fleming , Rundle Jevons? and Spencer :idea:
essex_shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:55 pm

pending on injuries

4 4 1 1

Roche
Duffy Scott Stanley Rundle
Jevons
Spencer

note if we was playing at home id deffenitly start with Fleming in the middle being more adventurous, but you cant play everyone, somebody as to miss out :|

and that system is more suited to Jevons
George Dawes

Postby essex_shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Dawzi I 100% agree with your team :D
essex_shrimp

Postby Opinionated » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 pm

DawZi wrote:pending on injuries

4 4 1 1

Roche
Duffy Scott Stanley Rundle
Jevons
Spencer

note if we was playing at home id deffenitly start with Fleming in the middle being more adventurous, but you cant play everyone, somebody as to miss out :|

and that system is more suited to Jevons

Why not play Fleming behind the striker?
Opinionated

Postby essex_shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Good point I have not seen this player play is he a special player.

I do think Morecambe'sbest midfielder was Craig Stanley and I do think he should be the captain ;)
essex_shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Opinionated wrote:Why not play Fleming behind the striker?

well in away we have been trying it for the past few weeks with Fleming being the most advanced out of Scott & Stanley with just Jevons upfront on his own

but it's not working for the team and like i said you cant play everyone :|
George Dawes

Postby marky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

We can't drop Fleming, that's for sure! I'd drop Jevons and try Spencer in the same role. Personally I believe he's the reason it's not worked so far, not the system itself.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby james456 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 pm

I think we need a target man in the line up - regardless of whether you have him on his own, with 1 or even 2 other strikers. We've tried playing without one at various times since the start of last season and it's just never worked. So IMO, it should either be Mullin/Spencer alongside somebody else or Spencer on his own. That would let you keep the midfield as it is but should we be relying on an 18 year old loanee to do it all for us?
james456

Postby Opinionated » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:20 pm

james456 wrote:should we be relying on an 18 year old loanee to do it all for us?

No, especially as he is only with us until January.
Opinionated

Previous

Return to General Discussion