Hi Guys

Hi Guys

Postby BWFC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Sorry to post it in here but there's no 'welcome' section on this forum!

Anyway, something a little bit different for you all. I'm a Bolton Wanderers fan and with us being a Premiership club and all (probably not for long the way we're going!) I've decided to pick a team to follow in the lower leagues and you have the pleasure in I've picked Morecambe! (unless you're a bunch of idiots 8-) )

You're relatively local, I'm Morecambe on Football Manager, you're not Leigh RMI/Genesis or whatever they're called now and I used to love going to Morecambe as a little one so who else could I choose!!

Anyway, I'm thinking of attending a MORECAMBE match soon so if you could give me some tips on who to look out for, the style of football you play and which players are the laughing stocks that would be great! Anything else you would like to add as well....

Oh yeah, and if you're looking for a 'bigger team' to come and watch, pick Bolton, we're desperate for the support :D
BWFC

Re: Hi Guys

Postby outsider » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 pm

welcome BWFC,

You have picked a good day to join us after all we got a win tonight, players to look out for big Jim Bentley our rock at center back. Gary Hunter our terrier in midfield and a local lad to boot, up front we have Rene Howe who's looking a good signing, and also not forgetting Christie the Cat our mad mascot see his penalty on you tube.

welcome to the madhouse
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby wijit » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello there, BWFC. I'm sure that when you do get down to the Pie )As Christie Park is affectionately known) the guys will make you more than welcome. You would need to head to the York hotel which is a real football pub, owned by sgt.Major on here (Mick). Home and away (and neutral come to that) are welcome there and a good pint is kept. I think it's safe to say that we all have our own favourites so far as players go hence the many diagreements you'll read on here.
I'm Morecambe on FM too, but I'm crap. really, really crap.
Football-wise, I think we play a half decent game, pretty attacking often even if it's not quite happened for us this season yet. But it will.
Anyhow, welcome, hope you enjoy the banter.
wijit

Postby BWFC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks a lot. I've just been really annoyed with Premiership football recently, all this Man City takeover and Kevin Keegan leaving Newcastle, I just feel the Premiership these days is more of a business and there is no competition and no chance of breaking into the top four. We hit our peak when we were drifting in and out of 5th place under Sam Allardyce. How are we supposed to beat that?!

I'd love to see some proper football where there's a connection with the players and they're not pampered up celebrities on £100k a week!

I saw the result on Sky Sports News too, come on the Shrimps! Haha :lol:
BWFC

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Welcome, believe or not you won't be the first, or only Bolton fan to come down to Crusty Pie to shout Morecambe on.

We have fans of all teams standing together shouting our lads on, and they don't even scratch each others eyes out :lol: (Man U next to Liverpool, Man City, Everton, Carlisle, until recently there was a lad from Bury :lol: :lol: those are just the localish team then there's West Ham [won the world cup in '66 did West Ham - all by themselves :lol: ], Spurs, Fulham I'm getting bored now :lol: )

That's not to say that there isn't any banter between these fans there is, but it is definately good natured :D
Plan your day, chill, and watch football without too much stress.

Until you get hooked that is - they all do eventually ;)
morecambe mick

Postby John L » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Don't forget we also have an adopted Sheffield Wednesday fan, wherever he is at the moment!
John L

Postby CASS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Well well..........I used to watch Bolton as a lad,my uncle lived in "Keaw yed City" and we would
get the buzz through for home games. Players I remember ..Wyn Davis, Warrick Rimmer,Eddie Hopkinson in goals and not to forget the little fat blond, Franny Lee... Happy Days :D
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 pm

John L wrote:Don't forget we also have an adopted Sheffield Wednesday fan, wherever he is at the moment!

I was driving behind a car at the ASDA roundabout the other day with a Wednesday till I die sticker in and wondered if he had made a pilgrimage.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby BWFC » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 pm

CASS wrote:Well well..........I used to watch Bolton as a lad,my uncle lived in "Keaw yed City"

Haha, 'Keaw Yed' aka Westhoughton that's where I'm from!

Sounds good, I'll have to drag one of my mates along when there's no Bolton match and see it all in person. So who's the 'scummers' then, Lancaster City?!
BWFC

Postby CASS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:30 pm

My Uncle lived in Daisy Hill he had the Garage..long gone'

So who's the 'scummers' then, Lancaster City?!

This is the Friendliest club in the league mate ..We love :D (tolerate) everybody..well nearly everybody ;)
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby bigreddog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Nice one BWFC welcome to the throng. We're at home to Shrewsbury this weekend while all the fancy dans have their "international break". The next one after that when your lot are away and we're at home is 4th Oct Vs Chesterfield (Bolton are away in london for a sunday match that weekend)

On the "we don't like front" - Other than us being the friendliest club and all that we have a dislike/rivalry/ wouldn't p*** on them if they were on fire policy with:

Chester City - but especially Mark Wright and their chairman
Accrington Stanley - they're not the real stanley, they make loads of noise and their manager is a morecambe legend

and some would include stevenage, mainly down to another manager Graham Westley.

When it comes to Lancaster City it varies. some keep an eye out for them, the rest of us pity them. :lol:

Hope you come up and enjoy the day. get onto the north stand and Make some noise. The songs are pretty standard so easy to pick up. pity you missed Tony Roberts in goal for Dagenham last week. All together now! DO YOU TAKE IT UP THE ..............
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby marky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:04 pm

I personally would add Southport to the hated list ;)
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:47 am

BWFC wrote:
CASS wrote:Well well..........I used to watch Bolton as a lad,my uncle lived in "Keaw yed City"

Sounds good, I'll have to drag one of my mates along when there's no Bolton match and see it all in person. So who's the 'scummers' then, Lancaster City?!

West'owfen, eh? Had a really drunken day in the Clifton Ale House, Blackpool (a cellar that served Boddingtons) with a load of my mates on one table and a load of 'owfeners one Good Friday many years ago, good lads the lot.

Mate a lot of us have been getting increasingly cheesed off with 'top end' football for many years now.
With me (Spurs fan) it started with the Champs League and the 'guaranteed' multi-millions of TV income it funnelled into a handful of clubs each year.
That created the cartel we've seen for the past few years and the gravy train that now makes owning a club very attractive to billionaire businessmen, when previously you really needed at least a passing interest in a particular team to invest loads of 'speculative' money which you'd probably never see again.
Recently they have known that if you can get your club into the CL then you get your rewards, financially, very quickly and very regularly.
The latest developments are merely the natural progression of all that as they now look to exploit world markets for their 'brands' (because that's how they think of them).

A lot of people have been put off football altogether, others - like you - are starting (we hope more and more) to take a closer look at what we call 'real football, football you can touch' - where your support actually means something and (usually) is appreciated by players who you can chat with and club officials who often know your name.

Welcome aboard.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
John L wrote:Don't forget we also have an adopted Sheffield Wednesday fan, wherever he is at the moment!

I was driving behind a car at the ASDA roundabout the other day with a Wednesday till I die sticker in and wondered if he had made a pilgrimage.

I'm here !!!!

I did the same as you last season mate. My board at the time was busy suing its fans due to stuff on various websites so i got (still am) disillushioned with it all but still needed my footballing fix, wednesday will always be my first love...so i went to morecambe.

My first match was beating bratfut on the friday night 2-1 with a cracking goal from thommo, whose now sadly gone to scunthorpe. I followed that up with a 5-2 thrashing of chester on boxing day and then 3-2 against peterboro. In fact I haven't seem them lose, I must be a lucky talisman.....judging by recent results I need to get my arse back there pronto eh? ;)

The football is good,fans are genuinely friendly and you can stand up !!...wehaaaaay

Also the other thing that will shock is the prices...you do all this for £20 (bit like we could 15 years ago)

its a good day out...see you soon
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
Also the other thing that will shock is the prices...you do all this for £20 (bit like we could 15 years ago)

Only £13 for North stand Entry, so I assume your including petrol money in that.
£ 20 wouldn't buy you a pastie at most prem clubs nowadays! :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:Also the other thing that will shock is the prices...you do all this for £20 (bit like we could 15 years ago)

£13 in the North Stand so £20 will include ya crusty pie and a beer ;)

... and this is from a hibernating Leeds fan :shock:
looking at the weather lets hope we aint got a frozen pitch at the weekend
:roll:

... you beat me to the enter button NSS :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm

North Stand Shrimp wrote:
Wednesdayite wrote:

Only £13 for North stand Entry, so I assume your including petrol money in that.
£ 20 wouldn't buy you a pastie at most prem clubs nowadays! :lol:

yeah sorry I meant getting in,programme, drink and what not

I went to see wednesday v pne the other week with my young 'un and it was £26 for me and £17 for her..! :o
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby BWFC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 pm

So what is all this about a new stadium?! Are you all for that? Because I know when we moved from Burnden Park (I was only a little one then, so didn't get to many matches) to the Reebok, most of the atmosphere was killed off.

Are there terraces at Christie Park? I HATE sitting down at matches!!
BWFC

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Yes there are terraces at CP there is the Car Wash terrace which runs along the touch line, there is the North Stand which is where you will find the drumms and vocalists if you like to be in the thick of the atmosphere the North Stand is your best place to be and you can also stand at he bottom of the main stand along the opposite side to the car wash terrace

Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm

BWFC wrote:So what is all this about a new stadium?! Are you all for that? Because I know when we moved from Burnden Park (I was only a little one then, so didn't get to many matches) to the Reebok, most of the atmosphere was killed off.

Yeah the Reebok had quite a hollow sound to it a couple of seasons ago when i used to frequent it - even when it was nearly full!

This is our new stadium ;)
http://www.morecambestadium.co.uk/default.asp
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby BWFC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Right I've managed to get a mate to come this Saturday, so I'm going in the North Stand, where's a good place to drink before the match? Football Ground Guide says the York Hotel but I don't want to be in with the away fans!
BWFC

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:48 pm

York Hotel is generally fine for fans of all colours, no hassle. There will probably be some away fans but mainly home. Landlord keeps a good celler and nice food but has never been known to buy a drink, still, you can't have everything...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BWFC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Ok cheers, I remember going to Morecambe to Gizmo's after Frontierland when I was younger, gutted when that place closed down!

So what crowds do you get, do you fill the stadium? Would be nice to see a full one for once :roll:

What chants should I expect to hear as well?
BWFC

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 pm

attendances down a bit at the mo but still north stand is the place to be
heysham_mfc

Postby TheWanderer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Evening all,

I'm the other Bolton fan who BWFC up there has persuaded to give lower league a try. Lucky it's dropped on international break really as we go to most away games. Also getting fed up with Premier League nancy boys and Top 4 plastics so if Saturday is any good you might have yourselves a convert!

Can't wait to be able to stand up without idiot stewards or old people whining at you to 'sit down, sit down'

So how close to the ground is this pub? I'm a bit of a fat git so excercise is like kryptonite to me!
TheWanderer

Next

Return to General Discussion