Andy Welsh To Sign For Yeovil

Andy Welsh To Sign For Yeovil

Postby yeovil mad » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 am

YEOVIL TOWN are hoping to clinch the signing of former Sunderland winger Andy Welsh today.

Glovers boss Russell Slade has beaten off competition from a Scottish Premier League club to sign the 24-year-old, who played for Blackpool last season, on a one-year deal with the option of a second year.

"We have agreed terms and the only worry is that there have been other clubs interested," said Slade.

"He was at Morecambe before I hijacked it and also there was a Scottish club as well. He was 40 minutes away from signing until I moved swiftly to draw his attention to Yeovil.

"I was quite impressed with him when he was with us for a week on trial but we weren't able to do anything then. He looked an accomplished player and that will take pressure off us because we are short in wide areas at the minute."
yeovil mad

Re: Andy Welsh To Sign For Yeovil

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:37 am

Would somebody kill whatever black cat has crossed Sammy's path of late.

This news is unbelievable, especially as its Yeovil yet again. First Kirk and now it looks like Welsh.

Slade seems quite pleased with the 'hi-jack' as he calls it.

We appeared to be only a few moments away from clinching the deal and now this.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:44 am

Rob

Postby yeovil mad » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 am

yes but he will today
yeovil mad

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 am

Let's hope we can hijack the hijack!
Christies Child

Postby Neil G » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 am

yeovil mad wrote:yes but he will today

Good 'ner ner ne ner ner' post, now, face North, put your thumb on your nose, stick your tongue out and wiggle your fingers :lol:
Neil G

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:11 am

..wouldn't it be nice for us to face South, turn about, drop our pants and .....well you know the rest!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I did it, would I be regarded as an obstacle?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Christies Child

Postby The Fury » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 am

Christies Child wrote:..wouldn't it be nice for us to face South, turn about, drop our pants and .....well you know the rest!

I think it would generally be regarded as an eclipse.
The Fury

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:55 am

The Fury wrote:
Christies Child wrote:..wouldn't it be nice for us to face South, turn about, drop our pants and .....well you know the rest!

I think it would generally be regarded as an eclipse.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cheeky!
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:50 am

Christies Child wrote:This news is unbelievable, especially as its Yeovil yet again. First Kirk and now it looks like Welsh.

In my view Slade will do this deal. He wants to get one back on us for Carl Baker. Carl was minutes away from signing for Yeovil* when we banged in a last minute offer to Southport, which was accepted. Things moved quickly from there and we rescued a deal that was definitely going Yeovil's way. He wants to get us back.

*The power of text - Carl -> Friend -> Anon -> Posh -> Shrimper -> MFC Board

P.S. Kirk was leaving Yeovil so that doesn't count.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Posh wrote:
Christies Child wrote:This news is unbelievable, especially as its Yeovil yet again. First Kirk and now it looks like Welsh.

In my view Slade will do this deal. He wants to get one back on us for Carl Baker. Carl was minutes away from signing for Yeovil* when we banged in a last minute offer to Southport, which was accepted. Things moved quickly from there and we rescued a deal that was definitely going Yeovil's way. He wants to get us back.

*The power of text - Carl -> Friend -> Anon -> Posh -> Shrimper -> MFC Board

P.S. Kirk was leaving Yeovil so that doesn't count.

If true...then how petty of Slade.

It'd be even more irksome IF he signs for a club supposed to be in financial trouble. If I were AW I'd think about being with a club who can almost guarantee him a starting position every week as well as being in a locality that wouldn't require him to move to a new area. From the sounds of it, Yeovil only want AW because they have injury problems in the wide positions. What happens when the regulars are fit and ready to resume their first team duties?
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Christies Child wrote:If true...then how petty of Slade.

It'd be even more irksome IF he signs for a club supposed to be in financial trouble. If I were AW I'd think about being with a club who can almost guarantee him a starting position every week as well as being in a locality that wouldn't require him to move to a new area. From the sounds of it, Yeovil only want AW because they have injury problems in the wide positions. What happens when the regulars are fit and ready to resume their first team duties?

All true, and I'm sure we're speaking to him and his agent to let him know all this. I know with Carl one of the reasons that swung the deal was our location relative to friends and family, maybe we could pull something similar out of the bag.

Finally this episode does raise questions over the wisdom of posting rumours with very firm grounding on messageboards. Could Yeovil have picked up on this deal with us from Shrimpsvoices? I doubt it but stranger things have happened.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 pm

As much as we welcome the pulling power of SV's, it's doubful that Yeovil picked this up from the site.

They made it public on Tuesday at 8.55am, whilst the first reference to it on SV's was at 10.25am on the same day.

A case of AW's agent more likely.

Not a done deal yet.....but ??????????
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:09 pm

yeovil mad wrote:"I was quite impressed with him when he was with us for a week on trial but we weren't able to do anything then. "

Posh wrote:Could Yeovil have picked up on this deal with us from Shrimpsvoices?

Call me old fashioned, but perhaps Slade asked him for his telephone number while he was down there on trial and kept in touch? Probably more efficient than trawling fans web sites to see who else was interested!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby yeovil mad » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeovil Town are poised to sign former Blackpool wide man Andy Welsh on a contract to the end of this season.

Welsh, who played for Yeovil Reserves against Salisbury City last week, is a free agent and was not effected by the transfer window deadlines.

Born in 1983 in Manchester Welsh made his professional debut for Stockport County in October 2001 and made 75 appearances during his three year spell at the club.

Welsh spent a short spell on loan at Macclesfield during 2002 where he made 6 appearances.

Welsh was invited to Sunderland for a trial in 2004 where he made enough of an impression to persuade the then Championship side to pay £15,000 for his services.

He made his debut for Sunderland, ironically replacing former Glover Marcus Stewart, on New Year's Day 2005.

Two separate loan spells at Leicester City in 2006/7 saw Welsh make 17 appearances for City before he left for the MLS.

Welsh went on to make 21 appearances for Sunderland until he was transferred to Major League Soccer side Toronto FC where he made 20 appearances.

A move back to England saw Welsh end up at Blackpool in 2007 where he made 21 appearances before he was released by Blackpool in May this year.

http://www.ytfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 12,00.html
yeovil mad

Postby Shrimpster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm

What a Suprise!
Shrimpster

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Apparently Slade has a verbal agreement with Welsh and subject to medical tomorrow will be signing.
nobbyshrimp

Return to General Discussion