burton 3 v morecambe 2 F/T

Re: burton 3 v morecambe 2 F/T

Postby marky » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I was comparing the attributes of the two managers, not the two clubs.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:23 pm

RedRedWine wrote:I'm not saying that 4-4-2 is the answer or saying that 4-5-1 is wrong, I just think that going into each game using the same system against teams that play differently, have different players, and have different abilities is something that perhaps could be changed game to game, or even during a match when the initial system is not working? Perhaps Sammy thinks that 4-5-1 has given us the best chance of getting a result against each of the three league opponents we have played so far. I don't know....just trying to create a bit of the discussion around the game.

I wouldn't hold up Leeds United as a model of success to compare against on any level.

yes i agree with that
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:26 pm

i have found with SM with tactical decisions he does get it right eventually, but it just takes so long for the coin to drop just like his subtitutions :|

and am not having a pop there because he does have other quality's as a manager
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby MfcChris » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:27 pm

I always wonder why the same formation gets used game after game. I agree redredwine, you must look at how the opposition play and try and find a way to beat that and if it is not working at half time, change the system, don't just hope. But then again I suppose other clubs will be looking at us to see how we play and then it cancels itself out. Both sides can't change formations to compete against the other team. Being a manager is tough :lol:
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:11 pm

We were well on top when we scored the 2nd. They reacted and had 3 fresh pairs of legs. It went downhill very quickly and we were outpaced. Duffy made a huge impression when he came on in the 88th minute and frightened them to death. Mullin in his 2 mins actually got to that giant of a centre back - he looked like Sol Campbell will do in 5 years time! :lol:

Stanners was awesome today going forward and straight through the middle. Things will improve
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Was it a case of subs coming on too late in the day yet again,Mark? :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:15 pm

marky No.1 wrote:We were well on top when we scored the 2nd. They reacted and had 3 fresh pairs of legs. It went downhill very quickly and we were outpaced. Duffy made a huge impression when he came on in the 88th minute and frightened them to death. Mullin in his 2 mins actually got to that giant of a centre back - he looked like Sol Campbell will do in 5 years time! :lol:

Stanners was awesome today going forward and straight through the middle. Things will improve

and the subs should have been on early :?: :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:47 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:We were well on top when we scored the 2nd. They reacted and had 3 fresh pairs of legs. It went downhill very quickly and we were outpaced. Duffy made a huge impression when he came on in the 88th minute and frightened them to death. Mullin in his 2 mins actually got to that giant of a centre back - he looked like Sol Campbell will do in 5 years time! :lol:

and the subs should have been on early :?: :?:

Yes they should never been able to understand why he always leaves it untill the last 5 mins before making a sub. Why not bring a sub on earlier if thing are not going right or we only have a slight advantage a player is not going to change a game much if he only plays the last few minuites of a game.
On a more possitive note it looks as though Flemming could be the real deal if he carrys on like this it won but long before bigger clubs start to sit up and take notice just hope when we sell him we can get a decent transfer fee.
heysham_mfc

Postby paulshrimp » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Between 38 seconds and 70 minutes we were in charge today. The game was virtually over until they made their subs and got back into the game. We seemed to lose concentration and they got their two goals. I thought Paul Scott looked less certain than he did against Rotherham. Adam Rundle and Chris Shuker are good players bur Mark Duffy surely deserves a full game. We are not getting the best out of Phil Jevons in the target man role. Try some changes for the Burnley game?
paulshrimp

Postby mfcbro » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I didnt go today but i cant understand why sammy persists with Jevons up front on his own.If we are going to play 4-5-1 then i.m.o it has to be Mullins.
mfcbro

Postby Caged Lion » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:52 pm

Agree with all the above. Their goal was just sickening, it came almost instantly and was so simple. We fought back quickly and deserved the equaliser. Then moving on through the first half, apart from a couple of excellent saves from Baz and a clearance off the line by Parrish, we had them by the short and curlies. The were suffering and we should have buried them.

As usual their 12th man was instrumental in some dismal decisions that favoured Burton, but we lost our way and Burton eventually ground us down.

Jevons isn't thriving at all with the 4-5-1 formation. In the final moments when Sammy brought on Duffy and Mullin we showed what we were capable of. Things need to be changed to a more attacking formation, frequently Stanners powered through to find himself stranded without any support.

My player assessments

Roche - 8...made some superb saves, some being Barry classics where a Burton player was clear through and should have done better... but Barry showed his quality in these situations
Moss - 6...he seemed pedestrian at times, I think a spell on the bench is needed here.
Wilson - 7...did ok but had a hard time with their very speedy wide men.
McCready - 7...once again did ok, he continues to be solid and in control.
Parrish - 6...made a fantastic clearance off the line, but wasn't up to his usual recent conifident self
Scott - 6...did ok, nothing spectacular today.
Stanners - 8...awesome, strong, made some great driving runs.
Flemming - 8/9...excellent. He is a real talent and I doubt we will hang on to him if he continues to perform like this. Best I have seen in midfield for a long time.
Shuker - 6...not convinced of this lad. He is quick, hard working and can deliver a cross, but I don't see him scoring many goals, he often leaves the ball behind or gets caught in possession. I would like to see Duffy on from the start.
Rundle - 6...did ok, nothing spectacular and don't expect him to score many goals this season either.
Jevons - 6...worked his socks off as usual, side to side but didn't get into many threatening positions, however had a great shot that resulted in Flemming's goal. I would like to see Mullin given a chance if Sammy continues with the lone striker.

Subs - Duffy, Mullin, Drummond...weren't given enough time, but both Duffy and Mullin looked much more likely to spring us a goal than any of our other striking 3 today.

Fans - 7...worked hard as usual, but the atmosphere at the Pirelli is dismal.
Caged Lion

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:35 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Was it a case of subs coming on too late in the day yet again,Mark? :(

Well it wasn't me that actually said that, but I think you can maybe get the drift :lol:

From these responses you can probably gather that we actually played quite well and no individual let the team down. Baz could have been once again M.O.M. with his point blank saves.
Caged Lion I agree with most of your scores but would say that Andy P. saved at least 2 certain goals and covered the right back position well on occasions. Ps Awesome was my description of Stanners! :lol:
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Can't wait until Xmas!
Plain Peter

Postby Caged Lion » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:56 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Ps Awesome was my description of Stanners! :lol:

I am sure that I have ascribed that accolade to him in the past. Maybe you just dredged my original comment out of your subconscious? ;)
Caged Lion

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Caged Lion wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Ps Awesome was my description of Stanners! :lol:

I am sure that I have ascribed that accolade to him in the past. Maybe you just dredged my original comment out of your subconscious? ;)

Conscious or unconscious maybe :lol:
marky No.1

Postby halfwayprawn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Stanners was good today and showed that if you ran at straight at their defence they did not cope very well, sadly we did not do this often enough.
halfwayprawn

Postby scalehallshrimp » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 pm

came a way today just not believing we had lost,Burton are a poor side,niggly and dirty.We bossed this game for over 60 minutes.They brought new men on particularly no 17 and changed the game.Serious lesson for sammy here,bringing on your subs at theright time.Why at 2-1 up
and in control do we go all defensive when we could have gone for a much bigger win.Veryn poor ref today did not help
Absolutely 3 points tossed away today,cannot blame the players they are told a game plan and play to a managers instructions.Usual crap start continues.I am sure it will get better but 1 point from 3 games is certain relegation form
scalehallshrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 am

anyone who went to watch us lose 3-2 at Accrington Stanley last season and who went yesterday would have had a feeling of de ja vue.

2-1 up and playing a poor team off the park and then everyone retreats to defend and we invite pressure with the inevitable consequences.

Their number 7 Moore should have been sent off for persistant fouling and yet he didnt even receive a yellow card.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby paulshrimp » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 am

Caged Lion. I agree with most of your ratings although I thought you were a bit unfair to Parrish who played very well. The whole defence looks solid this season. If SM is going to persist with Scott in front of the back four then the rest of the midfield needs a rethink. Stanley is playing very well but in the games against Rotherham and Burton the main problem has been in creating chances. Fleming is a class act which, by my reckoning, leaves the two wide positions and the forward as areas up for grabs. At this stage last season we had one point so there is no need for panic and I am sure Sammy and Mark can sort things out.
paulshrimp

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:40 am

paulshrimp wrote:Caged Lion. I agree with most of your ratings although I thought you were a bit unfair to Parrish who played very well. The whole defence looks solid this season. If SM is going to persist with Scott in front of the back four then the rest of the midfield needs a rethink. Stanley is playing very well but in the games against Rotherham and Burton the main problem has been in creating chances. Fleming is a class act which, by my reckoning, leaves the two wide positions and the forward as areas up for grabs. At this stage last season we had one point so there is no need for panic and I am sure Sammy and Mark can sort things out.

Fair comment paulshrimp. I always feel a right old git for putting Parrish down. Mrs Lion is totally in the other camp on him...she thinks he is bril, works hard, tries his socks off, shows flashes of mega skill and all the other mushy guff that can be directed to any player if you are selective.

I suspect his gangly, skittering performances convey an image of a giraffe on ice to me, consequently I probably and no doubt unfairly have that image locked into my bonce. He is the chosen one where Sammy is concerned, so I have to put up with that.

On the day I never have a dig at Parrish, the abysmal ref and blind liners get full throttle, but ALL Morecambe players on the field get my support. However, in Shrimpsvoices, where we all have an opportunity to express our thoughts, I don't feel so generous.
Caged Lion

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:43 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Their number 7 Moore should have been sent off for persistant fouling and yet he didnt even receive a yellow card.

He also looked knackered and the likes of 'greased weasel s*ite' Hendrie would have made him look like a standing post.
Caged Lion

Postby George Dawes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 am

i prefer Andy Parrish in the right fullback position especially while he's still learning and mistakes in that area tend not to be as costly as with a central position in defence

thus allowing him to gradually develop his talents seeing he's still a young lad and as good recovery pace to get back(just like last season)
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 am

Sounds like a case of subs being introduced after the game has been lost.

Surely if you loose a goal and the lead in the 81st minute you change the formation and introduce an additional striker straight away?

Can't understand Sammy and his subs policy at all....and it's not the first time he's waited too long. Last week v Rotherham, their giant of a centre half was only put under pressure when Mullers came on.

Listened to Sammy's post match interview. He was lost for words to understand how we lost the game.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 am

Having seens the penalty on TV have to say I think we were a bit unlucky didn't look like a penalty :evil:
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am

Christies Child wrote: their giant of a centre half was only put under pressure when Mullers came on.

Yep, Darren Moore made any one look insignificant. At 6'1" and over 15 stone Jev seemed to avoid him a for a while :lol: I could have made a tent out of his shorts!

When Mullers came on he was dragged to the ground at the edge of the penalty area in a combined 71 year old brawl :lol:
marky No.1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion