North Terrace question.

North Terrace question.

Postby Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Why are we not allowed to stand pitch side anymore, as we did on the Carwash for many, many years without any problems? Certainly felt a bit cramped stood behind the barrier. Surely it can't be down to Health and Safety?
Moose

Re: North Terrace question.

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Exellent question, another oversight by someone, I suppose.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby scar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 pm

It is a safety point. You've got to keep the walkway in front of the terrace clear, hence behind the barriers.
scar

Postby Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Clear for what? Surely it's safer in front of the barrier than cramped behind it?
Moose

Postby Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Why didn't it apply at Christie Park?
Moose

Postby ezz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:44 pm

You wern't ever allowed to stand infront of the barriers at the old north stand. As for the north wall it wasn't opened for safety reason i assume? First few proper games have to be done at a certain capacity is what i'll guess at. I hope they are allowed to open it for the burnley game or its going to be very cramped in the MBW stand
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Crooky MFC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 pm

ezz wrote:You wern't ever allowed to stand infront of the barriers at the old north stand. As for the north wall it wasn't opened for safety reason i assume? First few proper games have to be done at a certain capacity is what i'll guess at. I hope they are allowed to open it for the burnley game or its going to be very cramped in the MBW stand

:? :? It was open for the Rotherham game, why wouldn't it be open for Burnley?
Crooky MFC

Postby Bls Shrimp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Crooky MFC wrote:
ezz wrote:You wern't ever allowed to stand infront of the barriers at the old north stand. As for the north wall it wasn't opened for safety reason i assume? First few proper games have to be done at a certain capacity is what i'll guess at. I hope they are allowed to open it for the burnley game or its going to be very cramped in the MBW stand

:? :? It was open for the Rotherham game, why wouldn't it be open for Burnley?

Also, the MBW stand i'm guessing will be sold out regardless of whether the north terrace is open or not!
Bls Shrimp

Postby John L » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 pm

The North Terrace had better be open otherwise there'll be a lot of disappointed fans who have already bought tickets for there!!! :roll:
John L

Postby ezz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Ah well didn't know it was open last saturday, couldn't make the game. I thought you had to have at least 3 proper games at the stadium before opening for full capacity?
Hope that will release a bit of pressure on the MBW stand, could hear a few complaints from the coventry game even before the tannoy said for us to squeeze up to let more in...
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:19 pm

ezz wrote:Hope that will release a bit of pressure on the MBW stand, could hear a few complaints from the coventry game even before the tannoy said for us to squeeze up to let more in...

I personally believe the MBW stand was over capacity for the Coventry game. With the game being pay on the gate and the North Terrace being closed I think a few more than it was licenced for squeezed in. :? May feel a wee bit less cramped on Tuesday, even if it sells-out.
Wild Bill

Postby seasonsinthesun » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

I was just glad that there wasn't a more serious incident at the Coventry game, it all looked a bit too congested in there looking from the main stand, and I was thankful no-one was injured.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:53 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:I was just glad that there wasn't a more serious incident at the Coventry game, it all looked a bit too congested in there looking from the main stand, and I was thankful no-one was injured.

To be fair there isn't that much that could have gone wrong. If it was a larger stand with fans entering from the back then we could have had an issue. Those that couldn't be bothered getting squashed just stood in the corner!
Wild Bill

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:43 pm

think you are all getting your stands a bit confused, north is now the new carwash :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Shrimpman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Moose wrote:Why didn't it apply at Christie Park?

Probably because the space from the pitch side boards to the first step was wider ,also the reason the north terrace wasn't open for the coventry game was because the toilets were not fully finished.
Shrimpman

Postby Shrimpman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:27 pm

[quote="ezz"]Ah well didn't know it was open last saturday, couldn't make the game. I thought you had to have at least 3 proper games at the stadium before opening for full capacity?

it has been documented somewhere on here regarding the safety certificate & what was required to be awarded it.Something to do with new building, average attendance etc
Shrimpman

Postby Car Wash Kev » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Moose wrote:Why are we not allowed to stand pitch side anymore, as we did on the Carwash for many, many years without any problems? Certainly felt a bit cramped stood behind the barrier. Surely it can't be down to Health and Safety?

Who cares about the North Terrace, they should give it to the away fans to make more money!!!
Car Wash Kev

Postby scar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:22 am

Moose wrote:Why didn't it apply at Christie Park?

There were no crush barriers on the old car wash terrrace at CP. Both the old North and Umbro stand at CP had crush barriers and as such you weren't allowed to stand infront of them.
scar

Postby Moose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:49 am

Well I must say one of the attractions of the old Carwash was being able to get so close to the touchline and the action. I could understand the need for the barrier if there was a stand/more steps with a steeper incline behind it, but 4 steps and a wall... there is about the same amount of space behind the 'crush' barrier as there is in front. Shame they couldn't have based the design on the old Carwash which seemed to work very well and gave everyone a bit of room to move about, as in a bit of space to walk behind the top step instead of just the Berlin Wall.
Still... no doubt get used to it and will be on there come rain or shine!
Moose

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 am

To be fair I went on the North Terrace and found it to be much better than the Carwash ever was.

Leaning against the barrier you are pretty close to the action and you can even sit down on the first step and see over the advertising hauding as it is quite low. You seemed to struggle for a good view on the Carwash stand when it was rather full unless you were actually lucky enough to get a spot on the touchline barrier. There was also lots of floodlight pillars in the way too. Also the steps are steeper giving a better view for all and the new toliets and food kiosk are lovely and new too. The wall also keeps in some of the noise made by the crowd adding to the atmosphere.

Remember a few folk being miffed when we built up the terracing behind the Christie Avenue at the Pie and were then told to stand behind the barrier. I guess once you go more than a 3-4 steps you need to have a proper row of crush barriers and a clear walkway to exit in case of an emergency.
Wild Bill

Postby alwaysright » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I was on the north terrace on saturday and will be on tuesday night, personaly i think its pretty good, much better than what it looked like on the photos.
alwaysright

Postby Moose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Please don't get me wrong, not saying it's not pretty good, (in fact I think it's great), not saying it isn't a lot better without the floodlights in the way of the game, not saying the toilets aren't better, not saying the catering outlet is.... (well actually... now you mention it... could actually be the steepest thing on the Terrace... ) - just a bit surprised about the safety aspect and the need for a 'crush' barrier we have to stay behind at this stage. The biggest emergency we have to worry about on the Terrace is the wall collapsing, if that happens, it's that bloody big, we've all had it! :)
Just going to miss being able to stand right on the pitch side, that is all.
Moose

Return to General Discussion