Current longest serving league managers [bumped]

Current longest serving league managers [bumped]

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Came across this today:

Wikipedia: List of English Football League Managers

I found it interesting enough to share. I know it is only wikipedia so is probably not 100% accurate, but I don't believe it is that far out. Sammy McIlroy is 8th in the list which details the length of time each football league manger has occupied their current role. Don't know why, but I found it staggering that:

A) Sammy has been with us for nearly 5 years (and what a 5 years!), it doesn't seem that long. Well done Sammy.
B) He is so high up on the list, something the board should be applauded for. Well done the board.
C) Half the managers on that list have been in their current roles less than a year. Amazing.
RedRedWine1

Re: Current longest serving league managers

Postby seasonsinthesun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 pm

As Graham Hodgson said on the "History" DVD, there has been continuity in all areas of the club, where board members have often had long associations with the club before they joined the board, and that we have only had four managers since 1989, and it is nearly three, as Leighton James wasn't here too long.
I don't know the inside track, of course, but it seems that Sammy is in an environment where he is respected and appreciated, and he thrives on that, and feels positive about things,so we get the best from him.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Return to General Discussion