Adam Stansfield

Adam Stansfield

Postby Grecian » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Apologies for intruding on your message board - I'm an exiled Exeter City fan who lives (fairly) locally and gets to the odd Morecambe game. Many of you may remember our No.9 Adam Stansfield from our recent encounters. Sadly Adam died from bowel cancer on Tuesday evening aged just 31. Understandably our game at Dagenham tomorrow has been postponed. I know many clubs are planning a minutes applause/silence tomorrow and I was wondering if any of you knew if Morecambe were planning to do this. I really feel a need to be somewhere to pay my respects and would dearly love it to be at Morecambe tomorrow. If anyone has any info. I would be grateful if you could let me know altho' I may just come along anyway as I feel the need to be amongst fellow football supporters at this difficult time.

Best wishes for the coming season
Brian.
Grecian

hopefully a minuites applause if anything

Postby Arnside Red » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I always feel its a lot more positive than silence, dont know if were having one but come along and enjoy the atmosphere of the new ground at this sad time for your club and supporters
Arnside Red

Re: Adam Stansfield

Postby alwaysright » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 pm

I would think you are very welcome to come to The Globe tmw and i think you should wear your Exeter shirt too.
alwaysright

Postby Grecian » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks guys - I presume there is a home end behind the goal. Also is there a recommended pre-match drink venue or have you got a nice new clubhouse as well that I should use?
Grecian

Postby alwaysright » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Grecian, if you go down to The Globe your in for a nice surprise.
alwaysright

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Grecian wrote:Thanks guys - I presume there is a home end behind the goal. Also is there a recommended pre-match drink venue or have you got a nice new clubhouse as well that I should use?

If you do come the home end (Morecambe Bay Wines Stand) is behind the goal.
There is a very nice bar under the main stand which also has Sky.
Not sure if the club has anything planned for tommorow but hope so one of our players Craig Stanley played with Adam at Hereford and they were good mates.
heysham_mfc

Postby Grecian » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Excellent - hope to see you tomorrow then.
Grecian

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Isn't there another Grecian exile in the area?
Posted loads of good stuff.
Grecian Mike?
Plain Peter

Postby Grecian » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes, Mike is responsible for our award winning matchday programme even tho' he lives in Heysham!
Grecian

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:13 am

Grecian wrote:Apologies for intruding on your message board...

Many of you may remember our No.9 Adam Stansfield from our recent encounters. Sadly Adam died from bowel cancer on Tuesday evening aged just 31.

No apology needed, you are very welcome on the forum although it's a shame it is at sad times. Adam was indeed remembered by many Morecambe fans and a thread was started when the sad news came through.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8581

While I don't know if the club is intending to formally acknowledge Adam's death, I know you will be very welcome at The Globe to pay your own respects with other football fans.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby poulton shrimp » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 am

Yes, Mike is responsible for our award winning matchday programme even tho' he lives in Heysham!

Only lives in Heysham whats wrong with living here !!!! only joking mate sad loss of a young life i remember having the crack with his mum outside wembley after the game and he come over for a bit of banter
poulton shrimp

Postby Grecian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for the very warm welcome you gave me this afternoon. Thankyou to the club as well for the tribute to Adam - I had spoken to the club secretary before the game who told me there would not be an announcement or anything as there was not a Football League directive to do it and he was very sorry but that was that. It seems there was a last minute change of heart and I am extremely grateful for this - it certainly helped me to be able to pay my respects along with over 3000 others in what was a very emotional afternoon for me.

Well done on a very hard-fought point today against a strong Rotherham side. Wishing you all the best for the season and maybe I'll pop down to your excellent new stadium again if the Grecians aren't in action.

Brian.
Grecian

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Grecian wrote:Thanks for the very warm welcome you gave me this afternoon. Thankyou to the club as well for the tribute to Adam - I had spoken to the club secretary before the game who told me there would not be an announcement or anything as there was not a Football League directive to do it and he was very sorry but that was that. It seems there was a last minute change of heart and I am extremely grateful for this - it certainly helped me to be able to pay my respects along with over 3000 others in what was a very emotional afternoon for me.

Well done on a very hard-fought point today against a strong Rotherham side. Wishing you all the best for the season and maybe I'll pop down to your excellent new stadium again if the Grecians aren't in action.

Brian.

Should think so as well.

We are a family club and we don't have to wait for a League directive to show our appreciation for a fine player. If our Secretary suggested that we did then, for me, he was out of order!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Christies Child wrote:Should think so as well.

We are a family club and we don't have to wait for a League directive to show our appreciation for a fine player. If our Secretary suggested that we did then, for me, he was out of order!

Alternatively, perhaps "our Secretary" went off and sorted it out after it was raised with him? I don't know what happened but I'm guessing you don't either CC?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Grecian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Whatever - but it happened and thats the main thing and I will be dropping him a line to thank him.
Grecian

Return to General Discussion