The Tactical Dilemma (Although It's A Great One To Have)

The Tactical Dilemma (Although It's A Great One To Have)

Postby Sammy h » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Now i don't know what everyone else thinks, but Phil Jevons can't play in a 4-5-1. He needs a partner IMO.

But then again you look at the result last night and there is no problem! If you were to give him a strike partner you would presumably take out one of the central midfielders, who all played absolutely superb last night.

What would YOU do?
Sammy h

Re: The Tactical Dilemma (Although It's A Great One To Have)

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Sammy h wrote:Now i don't know what everyone else thinks, but Phil Jevons can't play in a 4-5-1. He needs a partner IMO.

But then again you look at the result last night and there is no problem! If you were to give him a strike partner you would presumably take out one of the central midfielders, who all played absolutely superb last night.

What would YOU do?

No need to change for this coming Saturday. If the midfield get into goal scoring positions like they did last night, no need to change.

Even I can't find fault with that performance.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Sammy h wrote:Now i don't know what everyone else thinks, but Phil Jevons can't play in a 4-5-1. He needs a partner IMO.

What would YOU do?

No need to change for this coming Saturday. If the midfield get into goal scoring positions like they did last night, no need to change.

Even I can't find fault with that performance.

Just to let you know i wasn't 'finding fault' with the performance. It's every managers dream to have players fighting for places like we have.
Sammy h

Postby Morecambe Jack » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I think Jevo is wasted on his own up front he is just not that sort of player. However, the system clearly worked yesterday and I would imagine Sammy will stick with it. I genuinely wouldn't know who to take out to start say, Mullin. I guess if we need to change it, it only takes one substitution.
Morecambe Jack

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 pm

id keep the formation

that midfield what started last night will be one of the most formidable in L2!!!

happy days! :D

note will have to monitor Jevons in that role especialy in away games, although he did do more running about last night than usual chasing the ball back etc,
George Dawes

Postby The Fury » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I didn't think Jevons did too badly, although would agree that the formation doesn't, at first glance, play to his his strengths. However, be aware we were playing against a defence who, barring one defender (and even he played 8 league games,) were regulars in the Champsionship last season.

With this in mind, I'd expect us to, perhaps, be a little more adventurous in our attacking play, particularly in terms of both Shuker and Rundle, who'd I envisage to be playing as wide attackers (in the formation Mourinho introduced to this country) with both Wilson and Moss offering more support than they did for the majority of the night, yesterday. Over time, as we adjust to the Globe as a team, I reckon we will be pretty adventurous in our home games, with both full backs becoming more advanced and, in turn, both Shuker and Rundle, giving Jevons more support, effectively playing as wide strikers themselves.

Just a thought.

As it is, I wouldn't change anything. Paul Scott put in a superb shift in the anchor man role and, in comparison to early last season, having someone play that role rather than the Craney 'hole' role, would probably serve us better defensively. Plus, with Shuker and Rundle, there's attacking talent in this team meaning, I reckon, the need for someone like Craney isn't as essential as some on here thought during the summer.
The Fury

Postby marky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm

We got to see both the positives and the negatives of the 4-5-1 last night. Jevons was very isolated in the first 30 minutes due to the fact that we were very much on the back foot. However, was we got into the game and started to dominate, it was clear it allows both wingers to attack at will and gives us those midfield runners into the box that we lacked so badly last season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby AJC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm

I think Sammy will rotate between the 4-5-1 we saw last night and the 4-4-2 of last season, with either Scott moved back to defence or Fleming/Stanley dropped to the bench. 4-5-1 should be used against strong opposition and away from home, when we need to compact the midfield and keep possession. 4-4-2 when we're at home and favourites to win, break down the opposition and make sure we score, switching to this formation when we need a goal as well. Now the squad has more depth and versatility, Sammy can decide formation and team selection to play to the oppositions weaknesses.
AJC

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Playing almost the entire game 'on the deck' was a real revolation.

If we keep to that policy there will be very few teams in our league who will be able to 'out football' us in my opinion.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby The Bay » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:59 pm

I think the 'christmas tree' formation is here to stay. Make no mistake - it's not 4-5-1, it more of a 4-3-2-1. Shuker and Rundle supporting Jevons so he's not isolated. Scott protecting the defence.

Also worth noting that if you think Jevo was isolated last night, just bare in mind the part he played when Stanners hit the post, and he also set up Fleming's second.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 pm

The Bay wrote:I think the 'christmas tree' formation is here to stay. Make no mistake - it's not 4-5-1, it more of a 4-3-2-1. Shuker and Rundle supporting Jevons so he's not isolated. Scott protecting the defence.

Also worth noting that if you think Jevo was isolated last night, just bare in mind the part he played when Stanners hit the post, and he also set up Fleming's second.

you could argue it's the now popular 4 2 3 1

Roche
Moss Parrish McCready Wilson
Scott Stanley
Shuker Fleming Rundle
Jevons

well it looked like that last night the way Fleming was pushing up
George Dawes

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm

DawZi wrote:
The Bay wrote:I think the 'christmas tree' formation is here to stay. Make no mistake - it's not 4-5-1, it more of a 4-3-2-1. Shuker and Rundle supporting Jevons so he's not isolated. Scott protecting the defence.

you could argue it's the now popular 4 2 3 1

Roche
Scott Stanley
Shuker Fleming Rundle
Jevons

well it looked like that last night the way Fleming was pushing up

I would play a 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1

Roche
Scott
Shuker Stanley Fleming Rundle
Jevons

I thought Jevons did unusually well up front on his own including a very neat flick header to Shuker and the assist for Fleming's 2nd.
Little Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:40 pm

I thought Jevons did unusually well up front on his own including a very neat flick header to Shuker and the assist for Fleming's 2nd.

i was surprised by his work-rate, i just hope he can do it on a consistent level, and hope last night wasn't just down to being the big occasion
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 am

It's clear Shuker loves crossing the ball so if he or Mullin or whoever plays the roll get in the box they will ahve plenty of service! Whereas on the other side you have rundle who is going to run and weave and lay off a nice pull back for someone to score!
You can always play 2 upfront with 20 to go if things arn't working!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 am

I think the real beauty of this squad is that we have enough quality to play different styles and tactics in different games and even at different times in a game. I've always previously believed in keeping things simple but now I think we can be more flexible if needed.

As for the original question, while I don't think the way we played will result in many goals for Jevons, I think we now have the ability to hurt teams from other positions and that is largely due to Jevons' movement up front. I just hope he sees it as playing for the team rather than become frustrated. For example, his one two for the attack where Stanners hit the post was excellent.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am

I thought Fleming was meant to be a defensive midfielder :o but with Scott sitting deep and letting Fleming & Stanners push on it worked a treat and even Hunter when he came on they all made up some good ground moving forwards. I can't remb the last time I had seen our midfielders pushing on so much and producing some great moves.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby simmy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:07 am

What is clear to us all is that Jevons is not suited to being used as loan striker playing as a target man.

However the system we are employing of playing the ball wide and having the wide men cutting inside at times and our other midfield players getting up in support means that he should not be isolated.

If Tuesday is anything to go by then I am sure that there will be plenty of chances created from our wide play, which hopefully Jevons can benefit from.

With the players that we now have we have plenty of options to change the way we play if the situation dictates a change is required. Looks like we have plenty of quality both on the pitch and on the subs bench.

Exciting times ahead.
simmy

Postby Sammy h » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 am

Two upfront is a must at home.
Sammy h

Return to General Discussion