So what does everybody think of The Globe Arena?

Re: So what does everybody think of The Globe Arena?

Postby morecambewba » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 am

my observations as follows
1. whoever designed the layout and approach to the ground has intentionally or unintentionally created something special. enjoyed walk from westgate into stadium area approach and seeing main stand created a feeling of anticipation. leaving the ground and everyone merging into one group again had a great feeling.

2. outside area provided a place for fans to meet up and talk and created a good atmosphere.

3. leg room in main stand was excellent.

4. pitch looked absolutely perfect.

5. comments already been made about queues for beer/food. i waited 25 mins for a pie before match and two ladies working as fast as they could.sure club will sort this out.

6. MBW stand to me could have been bigger but i have read another thread which says it was designed to create a cosy and noisy end which did work.as i prefer to stand i look forward to trying it outnext time.

7. the person or persons who chose not to make it all seater deserve a massive pat on back. i felt i was at a football ground.

overall a great experience and morecambe are not even my first team. passing ground each day have been looking forward so much to the opening. well done to everyone.
morecambewba

Postby CASS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 am

Been reflecting again...Seemed to be a lack of Ball Boys / Girls, in particular around the turnstile on the "Marti Pellow" Terrace...Several times players had to hurdle the Barrier to get the Ball Back.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby marky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

We were all very impressed. We sat in block B in the Peter McGuigan Stand. The seats were very comfortable, there was plenty of leg room, the view was great and there was enough of a drop between rows that meant you didn't feel any issues about being 'on top of them'. The queues at the various food places could be solved by having more staff and we definitely need to utilise ball boys. We need a scoreboard of some description. The floodlights could also do with being angled slightly more as the corners were noticeably darker but as this was the first event, I'm sure these issues can be resolved. We also need to write to the county council and request a proper pedestrian crossing on Westgate, otherwise I can see an accident occurring at some stage.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby scar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 am

What a fabulous new stadium, a big pat on the back and well done to everyone concerned with it's inception, design and creation.

There are always going to be a few snags with any new build, especially one as large as a stadium, but with the exception of having to queue for a bit, it all went very very well.

Great sunset view from the main stand as well.
scar

Postby ezz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 am

The new stadium is fantastic, the few niggling problems can be solved but they are mainly minor problems you only notice when not enjoying the atmosphere/game.
The fact the main stand is so close and near to the pitch gives that 'hostile' atmosphere, lets hope they continue as they did from last night. Much easier for people in that stand to join in the singing when they are so close.
The main stand looked incredible, professional and something you'd want to sit in especially with those sponsor boxes.
Need a few more exits/turnstyles, not a bad effort for the shop being the first game and having 4000 people in the ground, remember at christie there was normally only around 2000.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Lloydie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 am

Bar from being gutted at missing the 1st goal as decided to beat the 1/2 time rush to the toilet... had an excellant night!

As mentioned few teething problems with food hatches (I qued for a while then gave up) and some people in front of me (I was in Block B) had the same seat numbers so some computer gremlin there.

The football was excellant and I've converted my future wife and inlaws to the Morecambe cause now (though that might come back to haunt me when I just a few beers with the lads on a Saturday afternoon...).

Went upstairs from the bar into the function room (is it the Wright & Lord suite?) and it was amazing, trying to get my lass to cancel Lancaster House for our reception now :lol:

Looking forward to many years of do's and party's there, will be excellant for the end of season award do's etc. Easirly the best function suite in the area now in my opion.

Anyways now to try the MBW Stand on Saturday, trying a few spots at the moment.
Lloydie

Postby codofthenorth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 am

As a neutral on the night, very impressed with the matchday set up at the Globe. Great atmosphere in the 'home terrace' behind the goal, not sure of it's licenced capacity and how many tickets were sold, but it must have been full. The Main Stand looks impressive and if the area opposite can be developed in time and a roof put on you'll have the finished article.
I went to the opening of the Chesterfield ground last Saturday and they had quite a range of 'first game' souvenirs available such as mugs and t shirts. I know the Club didnt get the go ahead for the game till Monday but do the Club plan any 'I was there products' to mark the occasion? I realise your souvenir shop was still a builders 'work shop' early on yesterday as well. It's got to be said the Matchday programme was excellent.....Good luck for the season, from the Cods down the road....Great win, well played!!!
codofthenorth

Postby Ntini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:45 am

To summarise our excellent experience last night:

Good points
    Leg room in the main stand was superb, the best I've had at any seated arena, and great for fat lads.
    The seats in the main stand were possibly the comfiest plastic seats I've ever sat on!
    There was a good atmosphere in and around the ground before, during and after the game.
    Getting in and up to the seats was possibly the smoothest I've experienced at a new football ground (we had pre-purchased tickets).
    The main stand was brilliant and you felt unusually close to the game.
    I love the fact that, despite building a brand new stadium, we brought along a little piece of Christie Park in the form of the complimentary ticket booth. Brilliant!

A few tweaks, if you please
    A scoreboard of some kind. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but a few people missed the goal, and I heard a few grumbles (so at least it will shut them up!)
    I heard a few people mention that the crash barriers should be painted red to add to the great look of the ground. I have to say that I agree.
    Catering seemed a slight issue. As mentioned, it won't happen at every game, but it does need to be looked at. Although the food that people brought out did look decent. I think a lot of people who were going to buy stuff didn't, and that's a shame for the club to miss out.
    Ball boys/girls. It makes me cringe when I see our players hurdling fences to get a ball. I don't know why. Maybe I think they're going to injure themselves performing an unusual action?

One other point
Fantastic programme, and for £3 I thought it was a bargain. But is there any chance of getting an English student (or anyone with the know-how) to proof read for spelling and grammatical errors, please? I just think it spoils the hard work done by Sean and the publishers.

The team
What a performance from undoubtedly our best squad in recent memory. The new signings looked good and seemed to gel with the nucleus from last season's squad. Hats off to Sammy and Mark for their efforts in gathering a squad fit for the new surroundings and getting them ready in time for the new season. To put in the performances against Wycombe and Coventry (and put a Championship side out of the cup) really does deserve credit.

Well done all involved both on the field and providing us with a brilliant new home for the future of Morecambe FC.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:01 am

The stadium made me really proud to be a Morecambe fan, but at times it didn't feel right there, i'm sure with time i will grow used to it.

As Ntini said we need a score board of some kind, can't be such a hard thing to do eh?

And last thing, i was wondering about the advertising boards that go round the pitch, will there be more, because it felt strange without all of them what were at Christe...

All in all BRILLAINT!

Oh, Christes Child, i saw you in your seat, and you didn't leave before the end! And he even stood up when we were chanting 'Stand up if you love Morecambe!' Although he did it slightly reluctantly ;) Good on ya CC :lol: :D
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby alwaysright » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 am

Has there been any word from the club regarding the opening of "the wall stand", and is it possible to get tickets early for saturdays home game ???????????????????
alwaysright

Postby AJC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:44 am

Ntini wrote:To summarise our excellent experience last night:

One other point
Fantastic programme, and for £3 I thought it was a bargain. But is there any chance of getting an English student (or anyone with the know-how) to proof read for spelling and grammatical errors, please? I just think it spoils the hard work done by Sean and the publishers.

Couldn't agree more with this, the quality and quantity of content in the programme is brilliant, but all it needs is a read though from someone who isn't involved in writing it. It is much easier to pick up on missed commas and missing letters from words if you are reading the material fresh, without having looked/wrote it beforehand. For the sake of someone reading through it for a couple of hours this would turn an excellent programme into a near perfect one.

In terms of the scoreboard and ball boys/girls, the system of hanging up numbers at CP was fine. There no need for anything electronic really, and if the scores are hung in the centre of the North Stand, not only would this let the majority of fans see the score, but also the lad/lass employed to change the score could also throw the ball back in should it land in the centre of the stand. In the future there'll also be fans about to kick the ball back in, but it look like they'll have to stand either side of the turnstiles, so this is the only area that needs covering by a ball boy/girl really.

PS, did anybody else notice that the Sky Sports News coverage of the game is recorded from the Main Stand, not the North Stand? Seems strange that they'd not record from the best vantage point. Hopefully the BBC recording is from the North Stand and will show a better view.
AJC

Postby Bls Shrimp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 am

Yes what a fantastic new home we have! Walking up Christie Way with hundreds of fellow supporters for the first game I really couldn't have been more excited! I don't think I will ever tire of walking up that road. Very impressed with the ground, I was sceptical of how our main stand looked "premier league" but it really does and I bet it's easily better than some premier league stands. All in all, a fantastic evening, I love the new ground and I think we'll be very happy in our new home once the opening niggles are sorted out. Its already been covered but for me we need to make the outside of the stands more colourful, paint the barriers red, have a better exit route and have some ball boys. I'm sure this will get sorted within the coming weeks though.

I'm glad that we haven't lost any atmosphere from Christie, that will improve in time but as new grounds go ours is surely one of the best for atmosphere! So I just want to say a huge congrats to the club and globe for our new stadium, we've got one hell of a home and I can't wait to go back. Roll on Saturday!! :D
Bls Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Yes I very much noticed the cameramen as their wires and equipment were all over the balcony. It seems very strange to have a full row of media people all sat in the open directly in front of the suite patio. As you say the tv cameras will be over the other side once they have a shelter.

Found it amusing when the people exiting quickly to go to the bar just before half time, missed the 1st ever goal at the Globe. Will they never learn? :lol:
Last edited by marky No.1 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Dazzer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Just a couple of points from me that haven't already been mentioned;

Re: Seats in the Main stand, comfortable with plenty of leg room but also plenty of 'clearance' from the row in front - I had my two young lads with me, but even when two burly blokes took their seats right in front of them they still had a perfect, unobstructed view - excellent.

And just one reservation;
Does anyone know the policy for ticketing for League games going forward? Is it pay on the turnstile or get your ticket from the Ticket Office beforehand as last night? If it's the latter with only 2 'serving hatches' I can see very long queues at a quarter to 3 on a saturday.

But overall very impressed, I did find myself whistfully thinking of Christie Park a time or two last night, but I'm sure that will pass!
Dazzer

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Great first night and opening at the new ground, although as mentioned the catering does need to be looked at. I know it won't be that busy normally (hopefully it will!), and last night was the first run which may excuse some of the problems. However, one food hatch for the MBW stand is not enough IMO. Due to the choice on offer at this one hatch the poor people who were working non-stop did not have a chance.

Personally I think there should be a separate bar area or at least some railings that employ some sort of queuing system. The patience of some youngster who must have stood 30 mins for a 10p cherry whip is exemplary. A pity then that after my equally long queue, hot pies had run out, adding to my annoyance of missing the first goal.
RedRedWine1

Postby ezz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm

I think once the advertising boards around the pitch are filled up it will look even better, couple of paint jobs need doing but who cares about that when there were more important things to finish. Ball boys or girls are good idea, that way we can take them away when were winning like other cheats....i mean teams :lol:
I dont think the North wall needs anything doing to it, our average attendance isn't going to be 4000 ( i dont think) so it's not like that stand is going to be brimming full of people. Hence it serves its purpose for those who want to stand there already....just bring a brolly.
Its only the start and will get even better when all the finishing goes through and the rubble gets moved, haven't been that excited about our club/squad/team for a long time!!!!

More importantly we kicked off the new stadium with a win, now the players know their new home I dont think we need to worry about them gelling at the new stadium! Not after that performance!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Interesting you use the brolly word there. Not wanting to put a dampener on things but anyone less than half way up the fantastic Main stand will get a soaking when the prevailing wind blows straight into our faces. It is more uncomfortable sitting in the rain than it is standing and I think there will be a market for MFC ponchos soon :lol:

Also surprised the "bench" hasn't a shelter and hope it is in hand as the benchwarmers will not be warm for long! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby scar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Dazzer wrote:And just one reservation;
Does anyone know the policy for ticketing for League games going forward? Is it pay on the turnstile or get your ticket from the Ticket Office beforehand as last night? If it's the latter with only 2 'serving hatches' I can see very long queues at a quarter to 3 on a saturday.

Signs at a lot of the home entrances say ticket only, as such i'd advise getting them during the week from the ticket office or getting down to the ground earlier on match days and enjoying a pint or two in the new bar, which is very nice btw.
scar

Postby Ady » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

One other point

As an English teacher I'm happy to offer my services proofreading a few articles per week Sean. PM me if it would help.
Ady

Postby Ntini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Ady wrote:
One other point

As an English teacher I'm happy to offer my services proofreading a few articles per week Sean. PM me if it would help.

That's exactly the response I was hoping for!!!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Overall, Fantastic! :D

The main stand is just amazing, inside and out.

I've just got 2 gripes,

The refreshments hatch behind the home end just isn't good enough. not big enough by a long way, there should be a separate bar for beer etc.

The supporters bar is also fantastic, but my one gripe is the prices. If the club really want the fans to make it there own and support it through the week as well as before and after matches they will need to rethink the pricing policy. Last night was great as there were opening night offers on but looking at the regular prices of £3 a pint, that will be one of the most expensive pints in Morecambe! I have worked in the licensing trade and know first hand that one big factor round these parts is price. Just look at what the constant price hike did to JB's. When I first started going in there 10-12 years ago it was packed till all hours after a game, alot of people who I used to see in there started to go to the York or into town after a game because there was 80p difference per pint.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Posh » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Positives I agree with everyone of them. Walking to the ground, the bar, facilities, etc. all fantastic. Even the terrace I'd say is more atmospheric than the North Stand because of the low roof and visibility from the back is nowhere near as bad as I expected. Really, really pleased and chuffed for everyone associated with the club.

I think almost every grumble will be resolved in time, with some very exciting news on one of them shortly.

The only problems I saw that need some thought are.

1. A friend who is around 5ft tall couldn't see the pitch from any place on the whole terrace. She watched the game with her husband stood in the corner of the ground on the tarmac. She seemed very upset that nothing else could be offered. If you're short, in that stand and it's full you're screwed.

2. The boarding at the back meant loads of kids up on top. A few slid off and clobbered people beneath. And the gangway is a kid's magnet. Hopefully singers will migrate to one spot and everyone will soon find their lifelong spots.

3. No peas and gravy. Best pies in the land, yet no peas and gravy. Obviously an oversight on the catering manager's part but if it's not resolved then expect a petition, banners and half a million walking past the Houses of Parliament.

Funniest moment was meeting Peter McGuigan in the Peter McGuigan Stand who was lost trying to find the changing room. He found it when he bumped into two players who were lost looking for the 'players lounge'.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby ockers » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Ady wrote:
One other point

hi ady ive pmd you mate
cheers sean
ockers

Postby broadwayshrimp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Stood in the Home Terrace last night but thinking of trying the Main Stand sometime. Can anyone tell me whether you are allocated a particular seat or whether you just choose your own. Cheers.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Dazzer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:15 pm

broadwayshrimp wrote:Stood in the Home Terrace last night but thinking of trying the Main Stand sometime. Can anyone tell me whether you are allocated a particular seat or whether you just choose your own. Cheers.

You are allocated a specific seat, but you can tell them the general area you would like to sit.
Dazzer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion