O'Carroll

O'Carroll

Postby bunny » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:38 pm

I thought he was superb for the 15 minutes he played yesterday
We did not win any headers all game as soon as he came on we won one and scored from it it allways looked like something was going to happen for the positive when he had the ball aswel .
I think O'carrol and rene howe make a brilliant pair up front!
Looked like blinkhorn has a slite injury seemed to be holding his leg a bit.
bunny

Re: O'Carroll

Postby Sammy h » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm

bunny wrote:I thought he was superb for the 15 minutes he played yesterday
We did not win any headers all game as soon as he came on we won one and scored from it it allways looked like something was going to happen for the positive when he had the ball aswel .
I think O'carrol and rene howe make a brilliant pair up front!

That is your post of the year!

O'carrol and Howe need a runout, Blinkhorn needs to be shifted to the bench!
Sammy h

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm

bunny wrote:We did not win any headers all game

You must be joking?

Rene Howe pretty much won everything that was aimlessly hoofed in his direction all afternoon. Just ashame that nobody else in our team was capable of doing anything once he had won the ball.
The Red Knight

Postby bunny » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 pm

O'carrol and rene howe will or soon should be when they get playing together aswel one of the best partenerships in league2 .
bunny

Postby Muzzer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:14 pm

The Red Knight wrote:

You must be joking?

Rene Howe pretty much won everything that was aimlessly hoofed in his direction all afternoon. Just ashame that nobody else in our team was capable of doing anything once he had won the ball.

that must be why we scored so many crosses that were thrown in the air...

..oh no, sorry we never :roll: :roll:

before o'carroll came on blinkers and rene never won anything in the air, everytime

i actually think it was Mick who pointed out that their defenders were too big and we never won a header
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 pm

isn't the question we should be asking 'why have we reverted to hoof-ball again?' When we play it on the deck, we play well, when we launch it, we play crap. So, let's play football again.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Keith wrote:isn't the question we should be asking 'why have we reverted to hoof-ball again?' When we play it on the deck, we play well, when we launch it, we play crap. So, let's play football again.

I would suggest it's to bypass the midfield (or lack of it) :o
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Keith wrote:isn't the question we should be asking 'why have we reverted to hoof-ball again?' When we play it on the deck, we play well, when we launch it, we play crap. So, let's play football again.

A few weeks ago I had a good natter with Jimbo about the use of the long 'high' ball.
It was interesting to get a players perspective on this.

I don't know if you've noticed but whenever Jimbo goes for a long one, it's nearly always a diagonal ball, in other words directed to the wing men. Arts tends to hoof it anywhere unfortunately!

I believe that they are coached to do the diagonal balls by Mark ( in fairness JH did the same!)However what I now believe is happening is that we are using that tactic as the only means of getting forward, for whatever reason. Possibly we don't play on the ground through midfield because of a lack of confidence. Who knows.

What became apparent yesterday was that Roach invariably gave the ball on the deck to a defender rather than the long hoof. If that was to then use a more accurate diagonal ball, I don't know. But I'd certainly prefer a style of play that builds on the ground from the back, through midfield and then onto the strikers.

What is apparent is that we have nobody capable in midfield of keeping hold of the ball and running with it at the opposition defence. Wainwright does it on the wing as does WC to some extent but to go through the middle, as an alternative tactic to the diagonal would make our game less predictable.

But hey..what do i know?

I'm only a very critical and hard to please old git who wants to be entertained!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby mfc:) » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:53 pm

change the subject to the hoof ball!.
mfc:)

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:00 pm

when we played Carlisle pre-season, Roach tended to roll the ball out to a defender and start the attack from the back. We played some nice football that day and I was filled with hope of a good season with entertaining football. Still time yet.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby T- Shrimp » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:14 pm

Since we haven't won a game this season yet, the confidence will be down, so the players are just going to the easier option and hoofing it long to Howe and Blinks and hoping for a flick on or a mistake from the defenders and not try and play it through midfield which we did more successfully last season, so when we get a couple of wins under our belt we may see more attractive football.
T- Shrimp

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Muzzer wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:

You must be joking?

that must be why we scored so many crosses that were thrown in the air...

..oh no, sorry we never :roll: :roll:

before o'carroll came on blinkers and rene never won anything in the air, everytime

i actually think it was Mick who pointed out that their defenders were too big and we never won a header

When did I mention anything about crosses?

Rene had the beating of their two centre backs every time he went for a ball. His work with his back to goal was exceptional.

As I said, it's a shame that he then had nothing to work with after bringing the ball under control or flicking it on.
The Red Knight

Postby Welshrimp » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:07 pm

we scored so many crosses that were thrown in the air

We had a good few crosses sent in by Wayne, Neil and Rene yesterday, but the midfield in particular was dreadfully slow in pushing up, leaving at most one man in a striking position.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby Muzzer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:20 pm

The Red Knight wrote:Rene had the beating of their two centre backs every time he went for a ball.

i actually never remembered one time when rene howe took the ball past anyone (that is he did have one small run outside the area where he took it past one player, which got us a... no it was a goal kick :roll:

The Red Knight wrote:his back to goal was exceptional.

well thats going to score us plenty of goals with our "goal scorer" blinkhorn
Muzzer

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Muzzer wrote:
The Red Knight wrote:Rene had the beating of their two centre backs every time he went for a ball.

i actually never remembered one time when rene howe took the ball past anyone (that is he did have one small run outside the area where he took it past one player, which got us a... no it was a goal kick :roll:

Are you actually reading what I'm writing or just making things up?

Beating someone to the ball doesn't mean running past them, it means getting to the ball before your opponent.
The Red Knight

Postby Muzzer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:33 pm

The Red Knight wrote:
Muzzer wrote:

Are you actually reading what I'm writing or just making things up?

Beating someone to the ball doesn't mean running past them, it means getting to the ball before your opponent.

well i actually quoted you, so you did write it :roll:

well whats the point of having the ball if your not going to score??? its just the same when the midfielders pass it back to the defenders, the back to the goalkeeper, not going anywhere and we struggle under pressure
Muzzer

Postby sandgrown » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Christies Child wrote:What is apparent is that we have nobody capable in midfield of keeping hold of the ball and running with it at the opposition defence. Wainwright does it on the wing as does WC to some extent but to go through the middle, as an alternative tactic to the diagonal would make our game less predictable.

I agree, but I think Drummond, Hunter, Stanley or even Twiss could do it !!

also O'Carroll should start in place of Blinks.
sandgrown

Postby marky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:09 pm

It's all very well having the ability the flick a ball on, but all too often with our team, there's no one there to pick it up. It was a problem last season and continues to be one. I really hope O' Carroll starts the next game. Does he have any pace?
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 pm

Roach
Mcstay
Bentley
Artell
Adams
wainwright
Drummond
Stanley
Twiss
O carroll
Howe
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Most people have been saying that Curtis has been our most improved player this season and yet almost everyone drops him when they put up 'their' team, why is that? Obviously, he's not a natural left winger but if he is playing well, he doesn't deserve to be dropped. If we bring in a natural left sided player this evening, I think consideration should be given to Wayne still starting, possibly up front or even as a solid midfielder? Wayne along side Stanners? Certainly I wouldn't be looking to drop one of the few (only?) in form players that we currently have.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby i-love-mfc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Might sound like a stupid question but what position does Matty Bell play ?
i-love-mfc

Postby John L » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:11 pm

i-love-mfc wrote:Might sound like a stupid question but what position does Matty Bell play ?

Right-sided or central defender, according to http://www.morecambefc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10866~1348358,00.html.
John L

Postby Christies Child » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Keith wrote:Most people have been saying that Curtis has been our most improved player this season and yet almost everyone drops him when they put up 'their' team, why is that? Obviously, he's not a natural left winger but if he is playing well, he doesn't deserve to be dropped. If we bring in a natural left sided player this evening, I think consideration should be given to Wayne still starting, possibly up front or even as a solid midfielder? Wayne along side Stanners? Certainly I wouldn't be looking to drop one of the few (only?) in form players that we currently have.

I've often wondered if WC could become a midfield player. He's not afraid of getting stuck in and has the abilty to get forward. I'd give him a go in that position in a Res game.

Now see the purpose of the reserves?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Well Sammy's seen sense once today and I'm hoping he'll see it again on Saturday by playing Dairmuid O'Carroll and dropping Matty Blinkhorn.

Blinks works hard, has a decent header, holds the ball up well but it for me it just isn't enough and more problematic is he's too like Rene Howe to work as a partnership. Last season he bagged 10 goals in 40 starts and 5 sub appearances. You could blame the service he got but 1 in 5 isn't a big enough return. Dermy O'Carroll has shown he's dangerous where it counts - in the box - and I'd love to see him given a go.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby dave wilky » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Matty is missing Twissys killer through balls......

just my opinion :shock:
dave wilky

Next

Return to General Discussion