Will the Globe open on time?

Will the Globe open on time?

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Are we now 100% confirmed that the Globe will be ready on time?
heysham_mfc

Re: Will the Globe open on time?

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:49 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Are we now 100% confirmed that the Globe will be ready on time?

Well I am.... :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Went past today and still quite a lot of work going on so just wondered if the club had had it confirmed that it will be open on time.
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm sure that if the club wanted fans to give a hand getting things ship shape, quite a few would be prepared to help.

I would that's for sure.
Christies Child

Postby bigreddog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm not doing anything this weekend so would be more than happy to lend a hand, I'm also on leave monday and tuesday so would be available then too. I sweep the road if they like, anything at all. But either way it will be up and running for tuesday I'm sure.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Christies Child wrote:I'm sure that if the club wanted fans to give a hand getting things ship shape, quite a few would be prepared to help.

I would that's for sure.

and I'm sure health & saftey would have something to say about that (CSCS Cards & public liability insurance cover etc) with the anybody turning up :roll:
George Dawes

Postby bigreddog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:51 pm

don't see why, given that volunteers have gone to the old ground for years to help get it ready for the start of the season. if they haven't got public liablility insurance nobody would be allowed on the site. I don't imagine any task would require any skill or the use of heavy materials or working at hights, so the much maligned elf & safety would not be a barrier.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
bigreddog

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:52 pm

DawZi wrote:
Christies Child wrote:I'm sure that if the club wanted fans to give a hand getting things ship shape, quite a few would be prepared to help.

I would that's for sure.

and I'm sure health & saftey would have something to say about that (CSCS Cards & public liability insurance cover etc) with the anybody turning up :roll:

Bloody red tape if you ask me!

I've got a Bob the Builder hard hat, a Safety jacket and work boots..what else would they need?

I can also bring my own brush!
Christies Child

Postby bill ding » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

I would that's for sure.[/quote]

and I'm sure health & saftey would have something to say about that (CSCS Cards & public liability insurance cover etc) with the anybody turning up :roll:[/quote]

Bloody red tape if you ask me!

I've got a Bob the Builder hard hat, a Safety jacket and work boots..what else would they need?

A wheelbarrow would come in handy to carry your own reams of risk assessments and safe working practices not to mention all your training records for the particular tasks you may be doing bla bla bla bla bla.
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:10 pm

bigreddog wrote:don't see why, given that volunteers have gone to the old ground for years to help get it ready for the start of the season. if they haven't got public liablility insurance nobody would be allowed on the site. I don't imagine any task would require any skill or the use of heavy materials or working at hights, so the much maligned elf & safety would not be a barrier.

in order to work on site, you would need a CSCS card(proves your competent) and report to the site office and then have a site induction before you do any work skilled or not by law.

although am sure a lot of the painting at low level height(no step ladders) could be done by the public after the ground as been handed over
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm

DawZi wrote:
bigreddog wrote:don't see why, given that volunteers have gone to the old ground for years to help get it ready for the start of the season. if they haven't got public liablility insurance nobody would be allowed on the site. I don't imagine any task would require any skill or the use of heavy materials or working at hights, so the much maligned elf & safety would not be a barrier.

in order to work on site, you would need a CSCS card(proves your competent) and report to the site office and then have a site induction before you do any work skilled or not by law.

although am sure a lot of the painting at low level height(no step ladders) could be done by the public after the ground as been handed over

I've a brush but it aint for painting! ;)
Christies Child

Postby bill ding » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Christies Child wrote:
DawZi wrote:

I've a brush but it aint for painting! ;)

The mind boggles :shock:
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby marky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Dawzi's quite right, you wouldn't be able to step foot to do work, voluntary or otherwise, on a building site without a CSCS card. Even cleaners on sites need one these days. It's not really proof of competency, though, more than proof that you have had site specific health and safety training. Any site manager who let someone on a site without one could be in deep water if something happened. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that corporate manslaughter charges could befall someone if the most serious of incidents occurred. It's simply not a risk worth taking.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:42 pm

marky wrote:Dawzi's quite right, you wouldn't be able to step foot to do work, voluntary or otherwise, on a building site without a CSCS card. Even cleaners on sites need one these days. It's not really proof of competency, though, more than proof that you have had site specific health and safety training. Any site manager who let someone on a site without one could be in deep water if something happened. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that corporate manslaughter charges could befall someone if the most serious of incidents occurred. It's simply not a risk worth taking.

So basically every time the club have asked for help to get the old ground ready for the beginning of a season, they have been at fault.

As I said before 'Red tape gone bloody mad!'

What's the betting that all clubs at our level are at fault?
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:50 pm

in the eyes of the law technically the ground is classed as a active building site untill the keys are officially handed over.

and then MFC will have a say and be responsible(liable) for the public safety.
George Dawes

Postby marky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:52 pm

In answer to CC, not really, because an off-season football ground getting a lick of paint, etc, wouldn't be classed as a building site, whereas the Globe is and continues to be so until the keys are officially handed over, as Dawzi just pointed out. It's telling that the ground staff have had to wear hard hats when working on the pitch as evidenced in the most recent picture updates.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby alwaysright » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:56 pm

If i can get in there on friday and work till tuesday lunch time i bet i could get that bloody wall painted haha
alwaysright

Postby Opinionated » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Having been to the stadium tonight my main concern is the mess such as rubble and mounds of soil either side of Christie Way. I think a few finishing touches will be needed after the Coventry game to add some beauty to the place. However the car park is very close to completion :)
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:09 pm

I can also bring my own brush

Never had you down as a sweeper 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

When I used to play I was always left back......wasn't my favourite position 'cause I hardly got a kick :o
Christies Child

Postby John L » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Opinionated wrote:Having been to the stadium tonight my main concern is the mess such as rubble and mounds of soil either side of Christie Way. I think a few finishing touches will be needed after the Coventry game to add some beauty to the place. However the car park is very close to completion :)

I know that inroads were being made to remove the right hand side mounds of rubble yesterday, so I assume that this work will continue all week to at least level the area then the white hoarding can also be removed. I think it's perfectly acceptable for non-essential work such as landscaping these areas to be completed over the next few weeks....
John L

Postby bigreddog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm

the whole point is that once it isn't a building site people will be able to help as much as they like. bill shankley once said " football is a simple game complicated by fools", for football it's easy to substitute the words "health and safety" normally because there's some daily mail reading, clip board wielding idiot wandering round telling you he thinks the law says, rather than reading it.

cc by the way, the club have never broken the law by getting volunteers to get involved before the season
Fans' Club Morecambe

bigreddog

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 am

marky wrote:In answer to CC, not really, because an off-season football ground getting a lick of paint, etc, wouldn't be classed as a building site, whereas the Globe is and continues to be so until the keys are officially handed over, as Dawzi just pointed out. It's telling that the ground staff have had to wear hard hats when working on the pitch as evidenced in the most recent picture updates.

So did the players have to wear hard hats when they trained on the pitch?
halftimeresults

Postby George Dawes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:27 am

Christies Child wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:

When I used to play I was always left back......wasn't my favourite position 'cause I hardly got a kick :o

left-back in the changing rooms :lol: ;)
George Dawes

Postby George Dawes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:39 am

bigreddog wrote:the whole point is that once it isn't a building site people will be able to help as much as they like. bill shankley once said " football is a simple game complicated by fools", for football it's easy to substitute the words "health and safety" normally because there's some daily mail reading, clip board wielding idiot wandering round telling you he thinks the law says, rather than reading it.

so your saying here that on most construction sites that site managers and health & safety officer's read the daily mail, and dont go on health & safety courses and just make things up walking round with clip boards just being awkward(idiots) ?

cc by the way, the club have never broken the law by getting volunteers to get involved before the season

have MFC ever had a construction site on this scale before ?
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion