Pete & Phil's 2nd Great North Run (Fat Boy Run II)

Pete & Phil's 2nd Great North Run (Fat Boy Run II)

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 pm

It's official we are coming out of retirement! Over the past two years to much good living has taken its toll, so we have decided we need to get back into shape and this time we have a great reason for doing it.

Phil - About a year ago my mum was diagnosed with MS. Since her diagnosis she has received a lot of help and support from the local MS Branch. Due to this I felt I should give something back to the society by trying to raise as much money as possible by doing the Great North Run again. Last time I did it in 2hrs52seconds and now want to go under two hours.

Pete - as my Dad has a similar illness and has had help from the MS Society I would love you all to sponsor me to do my 2nd Great North Run. In 2007 I did it in 1hr54 and want to beat it this time. Phil and I raised £1100 last time and would love to get just as much this time. However with the credit crunch we know this might be difficult which makes your support even more valuable. Cheers for reading and hopefully sponsoring !! Lloydie

The money we raise will be going to the Lancaster & Morecambe MS branch which will be a great help to MS sufferers in the local area providing them with the much needed help and support they require.

Now I know there has been quite a few charity events on here recently and your probably thinking oh no not more people after money but the money is going direct to a local charity and who knows it might even be helping someone you know. So if you could spare a few pounds and help support us it would be greatly appreciated as we really do need all the encouragement we can get.

You can sponsor us here http://beatms.mssociety.org.uk/netcommunity/Pete+Phil

and follow our progress or lack of it here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=383022426797&ref=ts

Thanks for your support

Phil & Pete
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: Pete & Phil's 2nd Great North Run (Fat Boy Run II)

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Good luck you 2. I will sponsor you at some point, just not at the moment as my Kilimanjaro kit is costing me an arm and a leg :(
Hows the training going? any races planned? been injured for a few weeks myself and only just got fully fit last week, I did the Wagon and Horses 10 Miler on Sunday- managed it in 1hr 18mins (only race since Bay Half in June!)
Either of you fancy doing the Lancaster half in Nov?
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Lloydie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 am

North Stand Shrimp wrote:Either of you fancy doing the Lancaster half in Nov?

Sorry but I'll pass on that one, The GNR 2010 will be the end of my running carear :lol: :lol: , I'm retiring back to the gym at Lancaster House where the X-trainer is better on my knees and there's a hot tub for when I've finished.

Don't worry still plan to keep the exercise up with gym and hopefully we should sort some regular 5/side footy out at the Globe when its ready to take bookings!

Got to stay trim for my wedding in 2yrs 8-)
Lloydie

Postby Lloydie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 am

Bump

Since everyone is in a good mood today I'll try a sneaky bump to see if I can get some cahs out of you all for a good cause :?:

I've given up a lot on this board over the past year like a lot of people, but after yesterday I'm buzzing and will try to help get this place going again :o

After a few sneaky buy one get one free beers yesterday, back to a 8mile training run tonight with Mr Lewis....
Lloydie

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Bump!

Just two weeks to go, I just hope by the time of the Barnet game when all this running has finished the catering is sorted at the Globe as I intend to make the most of it with Pie, peas, gravy and a pint of Potted Shrimp :D

P/T Indie

Postby Lloydie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:08 pm

A friendly no-pressure bump 8-)

Last training run today before the big day on Sunday, the weather is not looking good though so maybe some sponsors will help cheer us up ;)
Lloydie

Postby jonnythedog » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Done! Good luck on Sunday.

Remember, don't accept any digestive biscuits off the fat kid on the central reservation at around the 11 mile mark. I'd also avoid the ice lollys as well. The guy with the hosepipe on top of the bus shelter is a welcome relief although if the weather stays this way he won't be needed. Finally, at all costs, try to avoid catching a glimpse of the rocker's package (the one in the leopard skin catsuit), it took be a few miles to get that image out of my head last time.

Did my final training run tonight too! Looking forward to Sunday now, can't wait to get overtaken by a toilet but as long as i do Batman on a sprint finish again i'll be happy.

I'll be the one curled up in the foetal position, clutching a pint in the Sandpiper.
jonnythedog

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Cheers for that and good look

yes I remb the guy with hosepipe most welcome as it was quite hot last time we did it and lots of people round there come out with sweets etc I was to knakered to eat by that point. I really want to stop at the real ale stand at 9 miles but we were going to last time but I was dying and think if I had tried I would have just brought it back up.

Had a cracking run tonight and for the first time we were running at a pace that would be on track for a sub 2 hours on Sunday however tonight was all flat. We have been running up stupid hills for the past couple of months so it's been hard to work out a true pace but on tonights effort the hard slog of the hills seems to have paid.

I still wont be prepared though for when I hit that hill at bout 11 miles before dropping down to the sea front.

All the best for Sunday let us know how you got on.

P/T Indie

Postby matty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:00 am

Good luck chaps - see you at the finish. If you are looking to do sub 2 hours look out for the pace setters in the starting pens they'll take you through the whole race.

My links buried somewhere for sponsorship if anyone can find it feel free to chuck us a couple of quid.
Its all in the hips.
matty

Postby Lloydie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:48 am

1hr 55mins & 3 secs. I'm a whole 5secs slower than I was 3years ago :o

Thanks to those who sponsored us, link below if you would still like to.

Cheers

Lloydie
Lloydie

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 pm

1hr57mins&55secs from me so 3 minuites quicker than last time.

How did jonnythedog & Matty get on?

P/T Indie

Postby jonnythedog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Great times. Well done to both of you!

I managed 2hrs 14mins and 23 seconds, a new pb by 32 seconds.

My target is to get under 2hrs. I realised that I hadn't trained at longer distances enough which is why i bottomed out at the 8-9 mile mark and really struggled after that. I'm already forward to doing in again next year and working towards my longer term goal of running the London Marathon in a few years time. :twisted:
jonnythedog

Postby P/T Indie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

I actually found the first 5 miles up hill out of Gateshead the hardest this time where as last time I just went for it and then went backwards at 10-13 miles. I tried to pace myself a bit during the flat spell at 7-9 miles to make sure I had enough in the tank for the last 3 miles especially the hill at 11.

You must be mad to consider doing a marathon imagine finishing yesterday turning round and running back :o

I have massive admiration for anyone that does it the training must take over your life. I couldn't go out running for hours and hours on end 3 to 4 times a week I get to 1 hour and get bored silly.
Past few weeks we have been doing two 10.5 mile runs a week and even that is a struggle just to find the time to get out and do it never mind trying to motivate yourself when your actually out there.

Good luck with it

P/T Indie

Postby jonnythedog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

P/T Indie wrote: You must be mad to consider doing a marathon imagine finishing yesterday turning round and running back :o

You know what. I had the exact same thought as i stumbled over the live yesterday. :cry: :cry: :lol:

It's a lifetime ambition for me and i've always posponed it to play rugby. I expect it to take me a few years to get a place but as i'm hitting 30 in a month I thought it was a good time to start acting to make it a reality.

Motivation isn't the issue as I love the exercise, it's whether my body will hold up. Years of injuries, (including ruptured medial ligaments which put me out from Oct - April this year) have taken their toll and my knee is really sore today.

Thanks for the good wishes though, I'll certainly need them! Once I've got it done I'll be joining the Lancaster House care home for retired runners.
jonnythedog

Postby matty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Crossed over the line in a pb 1.52:20 - was knackered and my knee is pretty fooked (was after about 5 miles tbh)

A good day, reckon if I hadn't taken real ale on at the 10 miles mark I might even of made it in 1.52:19!!
Its all in the hips.
matty

Re: Pete & Phil's 2nd Great North Run (Fat Boy ORun II)

Postby jonnythedog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Great time and good work in taking the real ale, you're a better man than me!

One of the people I ran with heard some woman ranting and saying it was was disgraceful that they were offering that. I'm not sure she got into the spirit of things... For me, it's the people who make the effort to stand on the side with oranges, Kitchen paper, beer.... 8-) that make the event so special.
jonnythedog

Postby Lloydie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:32 am

I wish I had your motivation j-dog! I wanted to do the London Marathon when I was a kid but now decided that 2 GNR's = 1 LM :lol: and have now retired from the sport. I think I could do the GNR in 1hr45 but just don't have the will to train the extra bit more. I just find it boring running for over an hour, much prefer a game of footy now to keep fit and hopefully win something with my team before get too knackered for that as well!

:oops:
Lloydie

Postby jonnythedog » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 am

Lets just say I won't be purchasing any of my photos from Marathon-Photos... :o :oops: :lol:
jonnythedog

Return to General Discussion