Picture quiz - over 35's probably, sorry kids !!!

Re: Picture quiz - over 35's probably, sorry kids !!!

Postby durianmuncher » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Morectalk wrote:"Damp & musty boxes of old programmes..." - paradise !!!!!!!!!!

An absolutely amazing selection at a very reasonable price. Loved going in there before games and used to be waiting at the turnstile at 2 pm so I could have a full hour going through the archives. Fantastic museum pieces.
durianmuncher

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:45 am

it was a great little shop..spent lots of time in there in late 70s and early 80s. I bought a programme in there for 20p and sold it some years later to a collector for 15 pound
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby sgt major » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 am

Oh happy memories of the program shop. However I remember the one under the main stand that Steve Midds used to run - some crackers from there including what was probably the biggest program in the world for size - West Brom's.

BTW - does anyone remember the little magazine you used to get in the middle of all league programs in the late 60's early 70's - The Football League Review????
sgt major

Football league reviews

Postby Arnside Red » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:32 pm

yes, they were always free in the programmes but did have a 5p or something price on, must have got hundreds of em somewhere, in early 70,s spent most of me pocket money at the programme shop under the stand, great days
Arnside Red

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Some of those old Football League Review magazines attract some high prices nowadays.
Especially on the likes of ebay where you can buy bundles of them, or indivdual issues.

There is one herbert on ebay, who even sells JUST the team photo's from the centre pages for £1 each !!! :o

There were loads of them kicking around for sale too in the Lancaster Antiques Centre (the old Hornsea Pottery site) when we went up there for a visit last weekend. (At a fiver to get in for the whole family, JUST to have a look around, we don't go there that often !!)

I bought in there once an A4 single sheet "programme/team sheet" of a pre-season friendly match from about 1980 between Birmingham City and Scunthorpe United for a quid. Subsequently sold on ebay to the highest bidder for £14 !!!

As the delightful Shania Twain sang, Ka-ching !!! :D
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Morectalk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:33 pm

It is a shame programme shops at clubs are on the decline. Even though our club shop, for instance, sells the current season & a few of the last season or so, it doesn't go any further than that. I suppose ebay has a lot to answer for on that score. The football museum at Preston had some programmes in there shop but were asking silly prices for bog standard league games from the last 20 years.
Morectalk

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Going back to the original subject of the York match, I well remember the 4th Qualifying Round match at home to St Helens a couple of weeks before it.

At that time, I had never attended a first team Morecambe match at all (my first one coming in January 1986), but when I was in town with my parents I would always ask them if they could stop the car at Christie Park so i could get a programme.

I remember the turnstile operator advising me programmes had sold out long ago sonny so I glumly made my way back to the car, gutted I couldn't get one.

I still distinctly remember some blokes going into the turnstile that afternoon commenting that the ground looked pretty full. The attendance ? 787 !!!!

Bumped into Joe Woj in Dones Bookies yesterday in Morecambe. Top manager at the time.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Previous

Return to General Discussion