So it's now nearing the serious stuff

So it's now nearing the serious stuff

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Today was the final pre-season friendly (as far as we know) and next week it's down to the serious stuff.

Difficult to assess our form to date but the change of scheduled games can't have helped Sammy and Co in their pre-season planning.

Personally I start with retaining League Status for another season and then progress from there.

If we manage to go one better than last season then brilliant but survival is paramount.

Looking forward to taking up my seat in Block C; I doubt there will be a further delay but what will be, will be.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: So it's now nearing the serious stuff

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:32 pm

With our current crop of players I would, unlike previous seasons, "expect" to be away from the scrap down in the bottom 6. I.M.O. it is ll down to how we settle in at Westgate. We need to get behind the lads from the start and make sure they feel at home. After all we can't have another slow start can we :roll:

I'm sure Sammy won't want the pressure building up like it did last October
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby marky » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Anything less than a top half finish would be unacceptable, frankly.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby ockers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:30 pm

word from the camp is the lads have had a cracking preseason....seriously!!!!
we go about our business quietly sounds good to the boys
frustrating for us though.........
anyone wanting to do a piece for the opening match programme on your preseason watching and thoughts ahead of the season please get in touch
seanoconnor@morecambefc.com
ockers

Postby George Dawes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 am

just because we finished forth last season, i hope people dont expect instant success straight away and anything else will just be a disaster attitude, i do expect a hit n miss start to the season and a stronger second half finsih but! league status and 50 points is first and foremost

i think SM will be happy looking at this squad of player's. in terms of balance and numbers although i still think he will be looking to sign another forward as Spencer is only on a six month deal

we now have plenty of options in midfield, and at long last what i have always harped on about a left footed winger who by reports as looked class in pre-season, witch will gives us plenty of width complemented with two class work-horses in Scot & Stanley sitting in the middle and also two big target men Spencer & Mullin for Jevons and co to play off

and the goal keeping situation ill be just happy to bring one of the youth lads through and get a emergency loan deal signing if things go pete tong

lets just hope we have better luck this season and stay relatively injury free unlike last season
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:18 am

I largely agree with DawZi's assessment although for some reason, I don't feel quite as confident going in to this season as I did last. I think this is quite probably down to our pre-season being so disrupted with less opportunity for feedback from games and where games have been watched, the feedback was not great (Barrow & York). Obviously, not playing a game at The Globe until competitive games start isn't ideal either, so how quickly will we adapt and feel 'at home'?

We, the fans, have a huge part to play in that but many people still don't know where they will be standing! The main bulk of 'singers' stood to the left of the North Stand (as you looked at it). Hopefully at The Globe they will command the very centre of the stand, right behind the goal and make the noise 'spread'.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:35 am

My worry is that we still appear to be lacking a player who can take control of the midfield and be instrumental in protecting the back 4.

Scott would appear to be one answer but to my knowledge he's been used to date in a defensive role.

v Kendal, Will was pushed into midfield with the possible intention of being used there in a defensive capacity but it would be difficult to judge its success against Kendal. So for me we still need someone like that old war horse Grimmy in there.

Up front I'd like us to bring Henry to the club and use his speed in the final 20 minutes. But to do that our management team would have to be more prepared to use subs in the final 20 than in previous games. I just hope we don't wait until the final 10 for subs to make an impact.
Christies Child

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am

Christies Child wrote:Up front I'd like us to bring Henry to the club and use his speed in the final 20 minutes. But to do that our management team would have to be more prepared to use subs in the final 20 than in previous games. I just hope we don't wait until the final 10 for subs to make an impact.

I think we would all like us to sign Thierry Henry but I can't see it happening some how!
The Red Knight

Postby Posh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 am

Keith wrote:I largely agree with DawZi's assessment although for some reason, I don't feel quite as confident going in to this season as I did last. I think this is quite probably down to our pre-season being so disrupted with less opportunity for feedback from games and where games have been watched, the feedback was not great (Barrow & York). Obviously, not playing a game at The Globe until competitive games start isn't ideal either, so how quickly will we adapt and feel 'at home'?

I'm the same. Last year we knew a lot about players like Ian Craney, Paul Mullin and later Manny Panther from first-hand experience. Sadly, bar Mullin, it didn't work out too well due to injuries for the others.

This year's signings at the back, Scott and McCready, are both released players and didn't stand out for me. My hope is that they're both solid and bring some defensive quality to the back. Unlike say Craney there is plenty of scope for my excitement to grow but I'm already confident they will be better than Henry McStay. I'm also the same with Adam Rundle, another who has been released a few times but apparently has done well pre-season. Again looking forward to him proving what he can do.

Where I am really excited is players with big potential - Fleming, Spencer and, hopefully, Hendrie. Again you can't expect too much from any of them. It's a big step up, a move away from home and need time to settle in. However I'm confident they'll be a step up from what we had as our second string last season.

Last year I thought we'd bought a winning team and it just didn't happen, then injuries forced changes. This season I'm not as optimistic but undoubtedly the potential is there.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 am

P.S. I agree with CC that the one player missing for me is a midfield playmaker. Stanners is Mr Dead Ball, create space and push it out wide; Drummy tired badly last season but should be that role; Fleming I understand is more defensive. Craney gave us that option last season, played the killer ball and bagged goals from those moves. If only he'd been fully fit. Still think we should have signed Jimmy Ryan.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby sgt major » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 am

Sorry to say but personally I have never been so frustrated and peed off before a season has started. I don't know any of the new players - we haven't yet been to our new ground and info is very short in demand regarding anything from the club. In short I think it has been a PR disaster this pre-season which has left a few people jarred off.

I personally hope we can match the high's of last season on the pitch. I would love to be visiting places like Sheff Weds and Charlton like the Daggers are - that last gasp push and hopefully a great start will make that possible.

If all else fails we could organise a game on Sainsbury's car park ;)
sgt major

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:27 am

Posh wrote:
Keith wrote:I largely agree with DawZi's assessment although for some reason, I don't feel quite as confident going in to this season as I did last. I think this is quite probably down to our pre-season being so disrupted with less opportunity for feedback from games and where games have been watched, the feedback was not great (Barrow & York). Obviously, not playing a game at The Globe until competitive games start isn't ideal either, so how quickly will we adapt and feel 'at home'?

I'm the same. Last year we knew a lot about players like Ian Craney, Paul Mullin and later Manny Panther from first-hand experience. Sadly, bar Mullin, it didn't work out too well due to injuries for the others.

This year's signings at the back, Scott and McCready, are both released players and didn't stand out for me. My hope is that they're both solid and bring some defensive quality to the back. Unlike say Craney there is plenty of scope for my excitement to grow but I'm already confident they will be better than Henry McStay. I'm also the same with Adam Rundle, another who has been released a few times but apparently has done well pre-season. Again looking forward to him proving what he can do.

Where I am really excited is players with big potential - Fleming, Spencer and, hopefully, Hendrie. Again you can't expect too much from any of them. It's a big step up, a move away from home and need time to settle in. However I'm confident they'll be a step up from what we had as our second string last season.

Last year I thought we'd bought a winning team and it just didn't happen, then injuries forced changes. This season I'm not as optimistic but undoubtedly the potential is there.

Have to say I agree with both Keith and Posh. DawZi's comment about expectation had me nodding in agreement too. First and foremost survival, anything else is a bonus.
Living the dream.

PR this preseason, it has to be said hasn't been as good as some, I, would expect.
Although I don't necessarily think that the club can be totally laid to blame for that, speculation will forever fly around, and some will still think/say there's other reasons, even if they'd been given the reasons. Heads down and battle on through adversity, we as a nation have a proud history of doing as such, these are minor matters in relation to our history - we will overcome these little problems. No matter how some may want to blow them out of proportion.
morecambe mick

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 am

Post holiday blues Mick? :lol:

(oops the 1st Mick not the 2nd!)

morecambe mick wrote: Heads down and battle on through adversity, we as a nation have a proud history of doing as such, these are minor matters in relation to our history - we will overcome these little problems. No matter how some may want to blow them out of proportion.

Correct. We will play them on the beach if necessary!
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 am

sgt major wrote:Sorry to say but personally I have never been so frustrated and peed off before a season has started. I don't know any of the new players - we haven't yet been to our new ground and info is very short in demand regarding anything from the club. In short I think it has been a PR disaster this pre-season which has left a few people jarred off.

I personally hope we can match the high's of last season on the pitch. I would love to be visiting places like Sheff Weds and Charlton like the Daggers are - that last gasp push and hopefully a great start will make that possible.

Have to agree with you on this one. Can't blame Quinny for lack of info as he can only release the info when it's given. I just hope that there is no further bad news this coming week about The Arena. :(
Christies Child

Postby DMC » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:28 am

My worry is the defence- LW great going forward but think suspect as a left back (I think Perks was great in that position), JB too slow and I think we will miss Dave Artell. Of course I hope I am totally wrong and would be great to have a good start for a change. I think top 10 and a good showing in the new stadium would be a good seaon.
DMC

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:45 pm

The settling in at the Globe is a crucial factor. When Southampton moved to St.Mary's from the Dell, I seem to recall they couldn't buy a win there for a long time.
I am still concerned over the midfield. Game after game last couple of seasons we have allowed players to run at us through the middle and get at the back four, hope I am wrong, but is this issue going to raise its ugly head again?? :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Opinionated » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Christies Child wrote:My worry is that we still appear to be lacking a player who can take control of the midfield and be instrumental in protecting the back four.

seasonsinthesun wrote:I am still concerned over the midfield. Game after game last couple of seasons we have allowed players to run at us through the middle and get at the back four, hope I am wrong, but is this issue going to raise its ugly head again?? :(

Fleming?
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby parceldave » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:17 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:The settling in at the Globe is a crucial factor. When Southampton moved to St.Mary's from the Dell, I seem to recall they couldn't buy a win there for a long time.
I am still concerned over the midfield. Game after game last couple of seasons we have allowed players to run at us through the middle and get at the back four, hope I am wrong, but is this issue going to raise its ugly head again?? :(

Your absolutely right about the defensive midfield area,plus the lack of pace to break out of defence. Haining had a few good games in that role last season and was the calmest player on the pitch, but towards the end his mind was elsewhere and i hope things are sorted now. So is it Haining or Scott for the protecting role and that would mean bringing Mossy in at right-back , maybe. Either way i just hope we play it out of defence rather than hoof it.
parceldave

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Christies Child wrote:
sgt major wrote:Sorry to say but personally I have never been so frustrated and peed off before a season has started. I don't know any of the new players - we haven't yet been to our new ground and info is very short in demand regarding anything from the club. In short I think it has been a PR disaster this pre-season which has left a few people jarred off.

Have to agree with you on this one. Can't blame Quinny for lack of info as he can only release the info when it's given. I just hope that there is no further bad news this coming week about The Arena. :(

Well they must know if it will be ready or not by now it would be nice to be informed even if there was a possibility of another delay.
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Somebody mentioned a problem with the air conditioning units during the Kendal game and that the steps on the Berlin Wall needed to be replaced.

Hope that both have been sorted IF true!
Christies Child

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:The settling in at the Globe is a crucial factor. When Southampton moved to St.Mary's from the Dell, I seem to recall they couldn't buy a win there for a long time.

Whereas when Arsenal left Highbury for the Emirates, they couldn't lose. ;)
Bare Ben

Postby parceldave » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Well they must know if it will be ready or not by now it would be nice to be informed even if there was a possibility of another delay.

They will know by now if its going to be ready, hope it is because no chance of getting to Coventry :(
parceldave

Postby marky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Christies Child wrote:My worry is that we still appear to be lacking a player who can take control of the midfield and be instrumental in protecting the back 4.

My understanding is that Fleming is that kind of player. Sure, he's young, but if that's what he's good at... As for a midfield playmaker, I'm not convinced that's as important for us this year. In previous seasons, we've generally played with one winger and 3 non-creative midfielders and have often lacked a bit as a result. However, it seems likely that Sammy will start with Duffy (in my opinion, the most creative player at the club) and Rundle so for my money creativity should now come from both wings. In an ideal world we'd bring in a Crainey-esque partner for Fleming and a younger version of Mullin as a partner for Hendrie (who I hope we sign this week) which for me would make us close to being true promotion challengers. However, this isn't an ideal world and I still think we can compete, though doubt we'll finish anywhere near as high as we did last season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 pm

marky wrote:Crainey-esque partner

I like that description as it describes it perfectly although Baker-esque would be acceptable.
Rundle did well on the left wing when I saw him and Wainright was played on the right. i still don't think Duffy has matured as a winger yet as he still seems to not take the full back on enough. For me he looks more dangerous in the hole behind the striker.
marky No.1

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I think Marky has it spot on - if we had our two wingers and another creative midfielder in a midfield of 4 I think we could encounter problems defensively.

I agree with Posh too about the new signings - I don’t think I have ever been more excited in seeing a player in Hendrie that a) we haven't actually signed yet and b) I haven't even seen play on trial! Let’s hope I do get to see him...

I genuinely do not know what to expect this year. We know we can do really well as a team but our away form was terrible last year and if we cannot emulate the home form from Christie at the Globe then we will see our position drop severely from last season. It doesn’t help that the only game I have seen us play in so far is against Barrow and that clearly didn’t fill me with optimism.
Morecambe Jack

Next

Return to General Discussion