O/T NFU

O/T NFU

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Today i took martin lewis advise and spent all day ringing round to get cheaper insurance, i found i am best staying put with NFU, so i am out of pocket for taking a day off :roll:

Martin also assured us that big flat tellys would come down once the world cup was over, they went up :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Re: O/T NFU

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Mine came down cos I never wanted to have to watch England play like that ever again on a 72" wide screen high definition 3D TV !

Martin isn't alwaysright you know 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:27 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Mine came down cos I never wanted to have to watch England play like that ever again on a 72" wide screen high definition 3D TV !

Martin isn't alwaysright you know 8-)

whos who,ive got an headache..........
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby AJC » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 pm

I assume that Martin Lewis (one of the most annoying people on TV) thought that there would be TV's unsold after the world cup, meaning shops have too many in store and therefore slash the prices. However, it seems pretty obvious that the price war was going before the world cup, so best deals were to be had then. Unless you're looking for a TV blazon with England logo's or something, then prices were very unlikely to fall further. It's only official merchandise that get sold of quick fire after events like this usually.
AJC

Postby Heysham_red » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 pm

my advice regarding teles is...

wait till December and not the January sales, this is because of the VAT hike.

also richer sounds will beat any online price for the tvs they stock. Only problem is the nearest to Morecambe is in Preston.
Heysham_red

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:11 am

Me and Doris just saved ourselves £1,000.
A joint fixed rate e-Bond with Nationwide matured yesterday.
Re-invested it straight away in another 2 year fixed rate Bond with Nationwide, not an e-Bond, and this time in Doris' name (non-taxpayer).
Yesterday the rate was 3.5%, and today it's gone down to 3.25%.
That's £1,000 over 2 years for us.
Just hope the Nationwide doesn't go tits-up, but if that happens the country is really in trouble.
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Peter wrote:Me and Doris just saved ourselves £1,000.
Re-invested it straight away in another 2 year fixed rate Bond with Nationwide, not an e-Bond, and this time in Doris' name (non-taxpayer).
Just hope the Nationwide doesn't go tits-up, but if that happens the country is really in trouble.

Is that a £200,000 or £400,000 investment? 0.25% equalling £1,000 therefore 100% equals £400,000 but if that's over two years, then half that? Is that how it works? I never have enough money in the bank to worry about interest rates! Have got a credit card offering a 0% for 14 month deal for cash advances but with 2.6% charge. I wondered what would happen if I took the £10k and put it in a bank account, what rate I'd need to be in profit?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Keith wrote:
Peter wrote:Me and Doris just saved ourselves £1,000.

Is that a £200,000 or £400,000 investment? 0.25% equalling £1,000 therefore 100% equals £400,000 but if that's over two years, then half that? Is that how it works? I never have enough money in the bank to worry about interest rates! Have got a credit card offering a 0% for 14 month deal for cash advances but with 2.6% charge. I wondered what would happen if I took the £10k and put it in a bank account, what rate I'd need to be in profit?

3.5% = £3,500 on £100,000 a year
3.25% = £3,250 on £100,000 a year
Me and Doris have dipped-in, or rather not dipped-out (by virtue of one day) by £1,000
So the rest is fairly easy to work out.

Can't answer the bit about credit cards.
We always pay the bill in full by DD every month.
And for anybody in debt, don't try and save; pay off your debts first.
Plain Peter

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:08 pm

so you are telling us you are wadded :lol:

Do you have personalised number plates and all that :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:52 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:so you are telling us you are wadded :lol:

No, just look after the pennies.
And it's part of the pension-pot.

mrpotatohead wrote:Do you have personalised number plates and all that :lol:

Fair point.
Don't need a car day-to-day, everything is on the door-step.
I just hire a motor as-and-when, like this next weekend for Wycombe. Weekend hire from Enterprise Car Hire, Group A (inc Vat) = £36. Give it back on Monday morning. No worries with maintenance, depreciation, tax, insurance, vandalism. And Doris has one less thing to clean :lol:

Life's a bitch 8-)
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Peter wrote:And Doris has one less thing to clean :lol:

Life's a bitch 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Got to agree with the advice re paying off credit cards. I'd also suggest that while now is a great time to buy property, imagine your repayments with an extra 3% or 4%. While I wouldn't 'expect' interest rates to go up that much and certainly not in a short period of time, anyone who dismisses the possibility could end up in real trouble. In the late 80's mortgage rates got up around 17% which resulted in massive repossession.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:03 pm

On that subject the Banks are now selling insurance offering protection against your premiums increasing if and when the rates go up. As you say, people who have budgeted in todays prices may well find themselves shafted if inflationary elements kick in.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:22 am

marky No.1 wrote:On that subject the Banks are now selling insurance offering protection against your premiums increasing if and when the rates go up. As you say, people who have budgeted in todays prices may well find themselves shafted if inflationary elements kick in.

Might help us poor prudent savers though, who contributed not one bit to the present financial mess, but who are been shafted :evil:
Me and Doris took our first mortgage out in 1980. Rates were sky-high then, and we just had enough to live on.
But that helped teach us the value of money. And in them days you had to have been saving with your lender for at least 2 years, and have a decent deposit.

Another top tip from Peter.
When you get married, then you must have done it out of trust and love :lol: .
So don't hide your money from each other, put it all in joint names.
Let your missus look after the cash.
She'll soon enjoy elbowing her way to the bar, while you put your feet up 8-)

...and if you're skint and need to borrow money.
Borrow from a pessimist, they don't expect it back 8-)
Plain Peter

Return to General Discussion