Need accommodation? (Realy old thread revisited)

Need accommodation? (Realy old thread revisited)

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 am

Just booked a double + full English at the Royal Kings Arms in Lancaster for the Barnet game.
Cost £36.
Stayed there last year, it's a bit tatty these days, and the rooms overlooking King Street get the traffic noise.
But for only one night, and at that price....
I booked on http://www.booking.com
Plain Peter

Re: Need accommodation?

Postby parceldave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 am

Peter wrote:Just booked a double + full English at the Royal Kings Arms in Lancaster for the Barnet game.
Cost £36.
Stayed there last year, it's a bit tatty these days, and the rooms overlooking King Street get the traffic noise.
But for only one night, and at that price....
I booked on http://www.booking.com

Maybe you should have tried, Penny St Bridge , Sun Hotel or Wagon & Horses. The new Travelodge could be open next time you come up here, i think its going to be open on time . ;)
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:36 am

If we stay anywhere for just one night we'll take the least expensive available. And the RKA is full of history, and has that quirky old lift. Me and Doris had our wedding reception there.
Stayed at the Penny Street Bridge when it was The Farmer's Arms, awful place, dirty and full of foul mouthed navvies. And there's only a few square inches of parking space.
The Sun is expensive. I was born on Sun Street, so got fond memories though.
Wagon & Horses looks alright. I used to enjoy a 'crawl along the Quay during the Maritime Festival. Always a bit wary of being on the Quay after dark, even with Doris as protection 8-)
Plain Peter

Postby bristol-shrimp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am

We are visiting the area over Bank holiday which I will get my first visit to the Globe, staying at Regency Caravan park. 6 of us for 3 nights for £350, decent value for what we want.

I have used RKA on number of occasions but have never paid full price. Usually around the £35 mark and always enjoy a visit to the Merchants for a nice pint of Old Rosie Cider but bloody expensive pint.

I also have stayed at Farmers Arms now Penny Bridge and all I can say it was the worse hotel/b&b I have ever stayed in.
bristol-shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:08 am

That's told you then, Dave. Never have a debate with Peter about where to go and where to stay, its a bit like arguing with Motty about footballing facts and figures :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 am

bristol-shrimp wrote:We are visiting the area over Bank holiday which I will get my first visit to the Globe, staying at Regency Caravan park. 6 of us for 3 nights for £350, decent value for what we want.

Immediately before we stay that one night at the RKA we've booked a mobile home on Westgate Caravan Park for a week.
Cost: £195, bargain.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 am

marky No.1 wrote:That's told you then, Dave. Never have a debate with Peter about where to go and where to stay, its a bit like arguing with Motty about footballing facts and figures :lol:

Make sure you all avoid the White Horse in High Wycombe, it's not good for your eyes :shock:
Doris definately wouldn't be amused, so unless someone can recommend somewhere else closer to the ground then we'll be pre-matching it in town.
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 am

Quite right Peter Wycombe is a difficult venue to stay over, you always end up 2 miles or $10 away in a taxi.We've stayed at both ends as it were. Proffered the holiday inn last time but you still had to cross town which was being dug up bit like Lancaster really. I would certainly recommend a night out in.Beaconsfield instead. Strangely enough we are based in Oxford for this one :o
marky No.1

Postby azz01m » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 am

When i first moved to Lancaster around 10 years ago, i actually lived at the Farmers Arms for around 6 weeks while looking for a place and do have to agree although the owners back then are friends the place was a complete mess without a doubt.

Now though it has been transformed into the Penny Street Bridge. I have to say it is an amazing transformation with hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on it..It is modern and clean with an upmarket look downstairs and the rooms upstairs now are very nice indeed..It has a really good beer garden at the rear and does very nice food.

Well worth having a look at the difference! :D
azz01m

Postby parceldave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am

marky No.1 wrote:That's told you then, Dave. Never have a debate with Peter about where to go and where to stay, its a bit like arguing with Motty about footballing facts and figures :lol:

I dont think young Mr Peter has been to Penny St Bridge since its renovation, i think he could be pleasantly surprised. :o . The food in the bar is excellent , if you havn't been Mark we can pay a visit next time Meru is over. By the way Peter if you had mentioned a bit soner on Shrimpsvoices you were looking for a room , i have 1 spare most of the time and you wont leave hungry after breakfast , promise. Ask the Fat Finn. ;)
parceldave

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

Sounds good to me Dave but please don't put Peter off his caravanning break, he may just enjoy it
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am

marky No.1 wrote:Sounds good to me Dave but please don't put Peter off his caravanning break, he may just enjoy it

Sorry i wont mention the " Chair Breaker " again, he's had a breakfast too many. :lol:

Or did you mean that he might not get to see the Globe. :o
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:30 pm

parceldave wrote:I dont think young Mr Peter has been to Penny St Bridge since its renovation, i think he could be pleasantly surprised. :o . The food in the bar is excellent , if you havn't been Mark we can pay a visit next time Meru is over.

Too expensive though. For £76 a night I'd expect a guaranteed parking space.

parceldave wrote: By the way Peter if you had mentioned a bit soner on Shrimpsvoices you were looking for a room , i have 1 spare most of the time and you wont leave hungry after breakfast , promise. Ask the Fat Finn. ;)

Thanks Dave. If I'd known I'd have scrubbed round the mobile home too ;)
Plain Peter

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:14 pm

For £36 per night you are guaranteed an experience you won't return to according to recent comments from people who chose to find their own cheap accomodation in Lancaster rather than take office advice.

However, for £76 you would get a very pleasant experience, all new rooms and a delicious breakfast - according to people I know who took the office advice.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Surprised no one mentioned The York. In fact, I'm surprised 'someone' hasn't mentioned it themselves! :roll: I've stayed a couple of nights at The York last year and found it to be very pleasant for the price, with reasonable rooms and a decent breakfast. Parking spaces too!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:47 pm

That's
Last edited by Plain Peter on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Keith wrote:Surprised no one mentioned The York. In fact, I'm surprised 'someone' hasn't mentioned it themselves! :roll: I've stayed a couple of nights at The York last year and found it to be very pleasant for the price, with reasonable rooms and a decent breakfast. Parking spaces too!

I did have a look, but it came down to a no-brainer of £36 at the RKA.
Despite the flaws the RKA is still a wonderful historic building.
And it's right in the centre of town.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:19 pm

The Shakespeare on St Leonardgate was a good B&B too.
Full of character, and not too far from the action.
Used to be run by an ex-NAAFI Manager and his delighful Turkish Cypriot wife.
Hardly any parking, ssoooo Lancaster......but if you offered cash you got a tenner off.
Plain Peter

Postby Sammy h » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:52 pm

What's up with the premier inn at around £50 a night? Can't go wrong.
Sammy h

Postby parceldave » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Sammy h wrote:What's up with the premier inn at around £50 a night? Can't go wrong.

Too far for Peter to stagger back to after night in town i would guess . ;)
parceldave

Postby Splodge » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 pm

The Penny St Bridge does have parking - they use the forecourt of the old carpet showroom as well as having some spaces to the rear.
Splodge

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Splodge wrote:The Penny St Bridge does have parking - they use the forecourt of the old carpet showroom as well as having some spaces to the rear.

Not wishing to dwell.
Have a look at the reviews at www.booking.com
Main gripe is the parking. I've stayed there before, so it's a fact.
Royal Kings Arms has guaranteed parking, and providing you're only staying for one night it's a no-brainer!!!
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 am

parceldave wrote:
Sammy h wrote:What's up with the premier inn at around £50 a night? Can't go wrong.

Yep, that's a major consideration too 8-)
Plain Peter

Postby parceldave » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:21 am

Peter wrote:
parceldave wrote:

Yep, that's a major consideration too 8-)

Well you know what to do in future, dont you . ;)
parceldave

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:14 am

parceldave wrote:Well you know what to do in future, dont you . ;)

We don't like smokey bacon, but do expect soldiers to dunk in the boiled egg (2'45") :)
Plain Peter

Next

Return to General Discussion