Flashing - what's the point?

Flashing - what's the point?

Postby Bare bum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:38 am

Motorway scenario 1
I am driving at 70ish, middle lane (inside lane occupied) I approach a vehicle driving at 65 mph, check mirrors - car in 3rd lane about 500 or 600 metres back, indicate and pull into 3rd lane to overtake. Car in 3rd lane (well back) flashes headlights at me.

What's it mean? I reckon "Don't pull out in front of me, it's my lane, I was in it first and I'm speeding and you're just boring and getting in my way, I am using this lane!" OR "there you go son, you're with the fast laners now, I'll give you a bit of a flash to see if you can handle it or as a recognition of you're achievement in reaching it"

scenario 2
driving at 70ish, middle lane (inside lane occupied) approach vehicle driving at 65 mph, check mirrors - car in 3rd lane about 500 or 600 metres back, indicate, car in 3rd lane flashes headlights at me, I pull into 3rd lane to overtake.

What's that mean? Maybe "You go ahead and pull out in front of me, this is my lane but I'll let you in for awhile, it's the sort of guy I am, I'm all right" OR "Look out don't pull into my lane, I'm using it, my journey is more important than yours, wait for me to go past"

If somebody flashes me I assume that they are tossers and I strive to do the opposite of what I believe they want me to do. If they want me to get out of the way I won't and if I do I make sure it takes a darn sight longer than it would have done had they not flashed. I know it's petulant but flashers gain no advantage from me.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Re: Flashing - what's the point?

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:47 am

They are just letting you know it is safe to enter the 3rd lane, even though there is plenty of room and they do not need to tell you enter. Then you thank them.

If you were already in the 3rd lane and they flash you, they are making you get out of the lane. In which I will stay in the lane and brake a second to scare them.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Harry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 am

MfcChris wrote:They are just letting you know it is safe to enter the 3rd lane, even though there is plenty of room and they do not need to tell you enter. Then you thank them.

If you were already in the 3rd lane and they flash you, they are making you get out of the lane. In which I will stay in the lane and brake a second to scare them.

Correct
Harry

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:23 am

MfcChris wrote:They are just letting you know it is safe to enter the 3rd lane, even though there is plenty of room and they do not need to tell you enter. Then you thank them.

But what about those dick heads who are in the 3rd lane doing circa 65mph?

I flash 'em...no problem.

I also flash to let HGvs who overtake me (not many I know :lol: ) that it's OK to pull in after passing me.

I also flash HGVs who are in the first and want to pull out into the second to overtake if I'm in the second.

As for braking whilst in the 3rd......'words fail me.... :shock: ' Actions like that cause accidents!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Aspers » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:26 am

I reckon they saw how hot you were and wanted sex!!
Aspers

Postby ezz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:52 am

If you want to get technical, i'm pretty sure that flashing your lights at another drive is the sign for 'your coming through' but for some reason its been reversed and used by drivers to let others through instead :ugeek:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:09 pm

On the basis that indicating to pull in to faster moving traffic doesn't mean you have a god given right to do so, you should still be checking mirrors to make sure that the faster vehicle isn't still coming past you. Therefore, if I flash a slower moving old git, it's to say 'okay, I've eased off, I'm not overtaking you so stop fannying around and get out with us big boys and for goodness sake, keep your momentum so you can complete the manoeuvre'. Nothing worse than those cars that indicate, then panic in case you might still be over taking them, then realise you aren't, so they pull out but by now they've lost 15 mph and are travelling at the same speed as the car they were overtaking, so they put their foot down and accelerate up to 72mph and take thirty minutes to complete their overtake.

People who sit in the middle lane do my head in! Having said that, I think one saved me from a pull a while back. M6 at night, pootling along at about 90mph. Car behind staying at a constant distance. Catch up with a car in middle lane doing 70mph. In good time and maintaining good lane discipline, I indicate right and move over to third lane, then indicate left and return to first lane, thinking 'numpty' but not flashing him etc. Notice the car behind has moved into lane two and is flashing him. Then he flashes him again.

Then he starts flashing blue, with more lights than a council house at Christmas! Asleep in the middle lane gets pulled over and I continue on my way :shock: I'm sure if he'd been in lane one/awake I'd have been chatting on the hard shoulder a bit further down the road :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Keith wrote:On the basis that indicating to pull in to faster moving traffic doesn't mean you have a god given right to do so, you should still be checking mirrors to make sure that the faster vehicle isn't still coming past you. Therefore, if I flash a slower moving old git, it's to say 'okay, I've eased off, I'm not overtaking you so stop fannying around and get out with us big boys and for goodness sake, keep your momentum so you can complete the manoeuvre'. Nothing worse than those cars that indicate, then panic in case you might still be over taking them, then realise you aren't, so they pull out but by now they've lost 15 mph and are travelling at the same speed as the car they were overtaking, so they put their foot down and accelerate up to 72mph and take thirty minutes to complete their overtake.

People who sit in the middle lane do my head in! Having said that, I think one saved me from a pull a while back. M6 at night, pootling along at about 90mph. Car behind staying at a constant distance. Catch up with a car in middle lane doing 70mph. In good time and maintaining good lane discipline, I indicate right and move over to third lane, then indicate left and return to first lane, thinking 'numpty' but not flashing him etc. Notice the car behind has moved into lane two and is flashing him. Then he flashes him again.

Then he starts flashing blue, with more lights than a council house at Christmas! Asleep in the middle lane gets pulled over and I continue on my way :shock: I'm sure if he'd been in lane one/awake I'd have been chatting on the hard shoulder a bit further down the road :roll:

pootling....shouldn't that be tootling? ;)

...you lucky young (old?) sod!

Obviously the Police couldn't care less about speeding at night...which opens a whole debate about the 70mph maximum which personally I'm totally against on motorways between 9pm and 6am.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Vinny » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 pm

If I remember my Highway Code correctly, I think Ezz is right - which basically means the flasher is saying 'Get out of my way, I'm coming through'.

ezz wrote:If you want to get technical, i'm pretty sure that flashing your lights at another drive is the sign for 'your coming through' but for some reason its been reversed and used by drivers to let others through instead :ugeek:

However, (most) truck drivers on motorways have adopted 'curtesy' flashing, meaning you can pull in front of me now you're passed me, or flashing side-lights to say 'Thank you' and I think this sort of driver interactivity helps keep drivers alert and aware.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby ezz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:56 pm

The only reason why i remember is that is i'm sure there was a story about a guy who deliberately used this to crash into other cars and 'claim' knowing he was in the right even though most drivers assume flashing means "i'll let you through".
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Gnasher » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Slightly veering off-off-topic, it's not illegal to undertake according to my advanced driving instructor. If you give the driver adequate signs you are there (horn and/or lights) and they don't get out of your way, go left!
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Vinny wrote:If I remember my Highway Code correctly, I think Ezz is right - which basically means the flasher is saying 'Get out of my way, I'm coming through'.

ezz wrote:If you want to get technical, i'm pretty sure that flashing your lights at another drive is the sign for 'your coming through' but for some reason its been reversed and used by drivers to let others through instead :ugeek:

However, (most) truck drivers on motorways have adopted 'curtesy' flashing, meaning you can pull in front of me now you're passed me, or flashing side-lights to say 'Thank you' and I think this sort of driver interactivity helps keep drivers alert and aware.

The Highway Code says:

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Taken from: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070289

However, (most) truck drivers on motorways have adopted 'courtesy' flashing, meaning you can pull in front of me now you're passed me, or flashing side-lights to say 'Thank you'
Correct.
morecambe mick

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Christies Child wrote:

But what about those dick heads who are in the 3rd lane doing circa 65mph?

I flash 'em...no problem.

I also flash to let HGvs who overtake me (not many I know :lol: ) that it's OK to pull in after passing me.

I also flash HGVs who are in the first and want to pull out into the second to overtake if I'm in the second.

As for braking whilst in the 3rd......'words fail me.... :shock: ' Actions like that cause accidents!

Don't often do that tbh, but I do undertake people who stick in the middle lane. Or overtake them and quickly-ish get to the 1st lane. I shouldn't but I am young and naive and as an Audi/BMW driver, I think I rule the road ;)
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby parceldave » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm

shouldn't but I am young and naive and as an Audi/BMW driver, I think I rule the road .

Bladdy ell, have you got one of each , you should get a Merc and go for the hat-trick. I think hogging the middle lane is just as bad as a lot of other motoring offences and should have a fixed penalty and 3pts , overtaking without indicating should be classed as dangerous driving and should be minimum 6pts (lazy barstewards) :o
parceldave

Return to General Discussion