0/T Alex Higgins

0/T Alex Higgins

Postby darrenlock » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:30 pm

R.I.P Alex Higgins.

I saw pictures off you in the newspaper and he looked very ill .

And I know he lost his fight of cancer.

Great snooker player he made the game special .

And a good World Champion twice and twice in the final

He was a better player than Ronnie O Sullivan in my opinion.

R..I.P

born 18 March 1949 in Belfast, died 24 July 2010),

I know this a Morecambe forum but respect for a snooker great
Last edited by darrenlock on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darrenlock

Re: 0/T Alex Higgins

Postby mfcbro » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I tell you what Darren the best post i have read from you.A superstar if ever there was one.Alex Higgins R.I.P a truly great snooker player.
mfcbro

Postby darrenlock » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Cheers.

Growing up as a young child I remember watching videos with my grand dad and grand man having total respect for the man.

He did good and bad in his life but come on who does not .

At least he was not caught trying to throw a snooker game cough cough cough John Higgins.
darrenlock

Postby bigreddog » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:03 pm

I have never been that interested in snooker, but the times that I have it's been when a showman made the game interesting and spontaneous, a man with personality and a story, the likes of Jimmy White and Ronnie O'sullivan, but the first and the best was Alex Higgins. god rest his soul.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Morecambe Player » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Very sad news indeed.

The Hurricane had his fair share of ups and downs, perhaps more downs than ups, but he was a true showman as others have said.

There will be many people, some of whom I know personally, who have played him for a tenner when he was drunk and offered all and sundry a game when he was on his uppers. I think he lacked someone in his life who gave him a real direction in his life, and, a bit like Paul Gascoigne, had people around him who were just hangers on, and did nothing for him except use him for their own ends.

He was probably chucked out of more places than I've ever been in, but that said, he was a remarkable player, a remarkable man, and snooker will be all the poorer without him.

God rest his soul.

RIP Hurricane!
Morecambe Player

Postby darrenlock » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 pm

:?: :?:

Do you think he is the best snooker player of all time I say he is third behind Steve Davis and Steven Hendry.
darrenlock

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 am

I went to watch him in a exhibition match when i was about 8 years old, my Dad and I queued for his autograph after the evening and as he was signing my programme he asked if I played Snooker, I answered yes and he said well i've got one piece of advice for you, so leaning forward waiting for a pearl of wisdom from the great player he whispered to me that i should quit snooker and start playing golf!!!!!!!!!!!! How I wish I hadn't taken his advice!!!!!!!
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby halftimeresults » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:48 am

darrenlock wrote::?: :?:

Do you think he is the best snooker player of all time I say he is third behind Steve Davis and Steven Hendry.

Best player of all time? he wasn't fit to chalk Joe Johnsons cue.
halftimeresults

Postby shrimper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:08 am

Great entertainer and a loss to those who loved him.

But not always the nicest bloke. I remember him at a couple of events being rude to staff, doing the bare minimum in terms of his appearance money and then demanding more payment to reappear to sign autographs.
Dennis Taylor and John Spencer, at the same events, were quite the opposite. Polite, signed as many photos and books as people wanted and stayed on to show a half hour of trick shots. Higgins refused saying 'that's for kids!'.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Aspers » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 am

Obnoxious prick, great talent. God always claims his genius back.
RIP Hurricane 8-)
Aspers

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Aspers wrote:Obnoxious prick, great talent. God always claims his genius back.
RIP Hurricane 8-)

There's no need to call Shrimper that, he was just saying it as he saw it...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion