Is Tesco in The Arndale closing?

Is Tesco in The Arndale closing?

Postby Suzi Quatro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

I have a feeling that Tesco might be about to close but I am not absolutely sure as yet. It looks eminent because when I went in there this afternoon they were very low in stock for various items, especially within their Dairy Section.
Has anybody heard anything?
Suzi Quatro

Re: Is Tesco in The Arndale closing?

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Maybe they have had a busy day and the delivery van may be stuck in the crash on the M6. Some Companies have failed to deliver recently
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Oracles_Offspring » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Being a member of staff at said Tesco, I can say we have not heard about a closure, although it is a perpetual rumour (which has been going for as long as I have worked there... which is over 16 years). The dairy deliveries have been coming in low at the start of the week and building up at the end of the week, this is not because we are deliberately running our stock level down. We also had a major problem with a 'promotion change' yesterday where the offers were not working through the tills and so certain dairy stock had to be removed from the shelves until it was sorted. I've been off today so I'm not sure if that has been fixed yet or not.
Oracles_Offspring

Postby CASS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Whilst we are talking about Tesco ..The catering Manager returned from shopping at the Carnforth branch just as me and No1 daughter where talking about who would drive to Kendal next week. She said did we know that M.F.C where playing Dagenham ?,it's on the board outside Tesco. :roll: This is outrageous !! How are we to attract new fans when all we do is miss lead people like this. All the moaning about the Ground,flood lights,lack of new players,Barra result,lack of paint on the crush barriers,width of entry through the turnstile,
width of the bogroll at the globe, all this is insignificant compared with telling the Catering Manager she was WRONG She doesn't not do wrong :( So please who ever is accountable for changing THAT sign Pls do it before next Thursday when she will be stocking up again.
Oh yes dam shame If Tesco shuts,we used to do our weeklys there when the C.M. worked at w.j.Cross.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Cass the sign does day next game against Dagenham is at Christie Park so don't stress yourself too much! I'm sure when the new signage arrives it will be sorted. Hav'nt we been here before :roll:
marky No.1

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

hhmmm i doubt it, Tesco's are that big they could run that store at a loss, and it seem's fairly popular to me :|
George Dawes

Postby CASS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:51 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Cass the sign does day next game against Dagenham is at Christie Park so don't stress yourself too much! I'm sure when the new signage arrives it will be sorted. Hav'nt we been here before :roll:

I Know Mark, I Know...But you try telling "She that must be obeyed " To be honest they can put what they want on that board... I spend quite a lot of my time thinking of excuses why I should not go to any shop I hate shopping. She tells me it's 3 years since I was in Lancaster
(I have never seen the development at Kingsway) and nearly 2 years since I stepped foot in Kendal Town centre. But she is going to drag me to the new K village she tells me. It opens on the 28th. But the thinking cap is well and truly ON. ;)
CASS

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Suzi Quatro wrote:I have a feeling that Tesco might be about to close but I am not absolutely sure as yet. It looks eminent because when I went in there this afternoon they were very low in stock for various items, especially within their Dairy Section.
Has anybody heard anything?

And when I went to Asda in Fulwood this lunchtime to buy the Oasis "Time Flies, Greatest Hits" cd, THEY HAD NONE LEFT !!! My god, perhaps the store is closing down ???

Unbelievable. AND !!! If you're not "absolutely sure", then don't put the fear of god in people about it closing just because you went in and they had no Anchor Butter left !!!!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Whilst moving in the Grocery circles myself i'd heard they'd got wind of Hitchens closing and they might be considering a move there but then again they could just as easily buy out Sainsburys lock stock and barrel if they wanted to cancel out the Christie threat
HALMA 1983

Postby SkinnyShrimp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 pm

I think the competition commison would have something to say about that!

Your comment about the Hitchen's site is much more plausible - Tesco will be well aware of thier lack of presence in Lancaster and the fact they will now have the smallest footprint in Morecambe of any of the big 4 will no doubt result in some action soon - I would bet they are looking for a big site in the area which can only be good news for jobs if not for smaller local shops
SkinnyShrimp

Postby John L » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:15 pm

SkinnyShrimp wrote:I think the competition commison would have something to say about that!

Your comment about the Hitchen's site is much more plausible - Tesco will be well aware of thier lack of presence in Lancaster and the fact they will now have the smallest footprint in Morecambe of any of the big 4 will no doubt result in some action soon - I would bet they are looking for a big site in the area which can only be good news for jobs if not for smaller local shops

....as well as continuing the trend of units closing in the Arndale apparently due to increases in rent?
John L

Postby CASS » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Having managed for years with one medium sized SPAR, Milnthorpe is about to be given
Shopping choice ! Spar are to build a store and Filling station where Fawcetts Garage is and Booths in colaboration with Houghtons Coachworks are to build a store on Park Road (Road to
St Orth and (Back of) beyond)..Bet she still goes to Tesco "It's the points thanows"
CASS

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:43 pm

[quote="CASS" quote]
I Know Mark, I Know...But you try telling "She that must be obeyed " ;)[/quote]

Ah but I do, at least 3 times a day!! :lol:
marky No.1

Postby Suzi Quatro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 pm

When you are pressed for time and go to purchase an item you expect to be in place and find the cupboard bare you begin to question what is going on--especially when the majority of the other shelves were empty.
Suzi Quatro

Postby Mark S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm

So the item you wanted from Tescos was out of stock?

That is a great reason to start an unsubtansiated rumour and potentialy worry at least one employee on here. :roll:

Try posting a few football related messages Suzi! ;)
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Don't milk it Suzi, you have bottle so just can the can next time
marky No.1

Postby marky » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Over the winter, during the worst of the snow, my local branch of Waitrose was short of a wide variety of fresh produce for quite a while (yes, I shop in Waitrose but then I don't drive, rarely go out, don't smoke, rarely drink alcohol, etc so I can afford to). That didn't herald the sudden closure of the store, it was merely a symptom of supply problems. As that little Tesco is their only foothold in Morecambe, I highly doubt they would even consider closing it until a much, larger, better and equally central plot of land came available. However, I'm not sure that would actually be possible given the Carnforth Safeway was deemed too close to Morecambe Morrisons thereby compelling the latter to sell it to Tesco when they bought Safeway.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:57 am

Mark S wrote:So the item you wanted from Tescos was out of stock?

That is a great reason to start an unsubtansiated rumour and potentialy worry at least one employee on here. :roll:

Try posting a few football related messages Suzi! ;)

EXACTLY the point I was trying to make too Mark !! And especially the last bit ... !!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 am

marky No.1 wrote:Don't milk it Suzi, you have bottle so just can the can next time

You realise that 80% of the people who read SV have little or no idea who Suzi is/was and of the 20% probably another 10% will have missed the point of your post! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

I saw her once at the TT. Haven't seen so many men going wild over a sweaty pensioner in leather since Wayne Rooney stopped inviting me to his parties!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:34 am

John L wrote:
SkinnyShrimp wrote:as well as continuing the trend of units closing in the Arndale apparently due to increases in rent?

Give it a few years and that 1974 dinosaur will have had it's day unless the owners realise their own interests are dependent on units being occupied, others will follow suit if this greed continues!
HALMA 1983

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am

Keith wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Don't milk it Suzi, you have bottle so just can the can next time

You realise that 80% of the people who read SV have little or no idea who Suzi is/was and of the 20% probably another 10% will have missed the point of your post! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

I saw her once at the TT. Haven't seen so many men going wild over a sweaty pensioner in leather since Wayne Rooney stopped inviting me to his parties!

Yes I know Keith, and it must be my age 8-) but I have to read a lot of other stuff on here that I can't follow or understand so it's a case of getting my own back :D

She was 60 earlier this year :o
suzi1.jpg

Suzi is a 1950 dinosaur by the way! :lol:
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:54 am

marky No.1 wrote:Yes I know Keith, and it must be my age 8-) but I have to read a lot of other stuff on here that I can't follow or understand so it's a case of getting my own back :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby Mark S » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:14 am

She was hot back in the day!

I always used to get her and Sally James from Tiswas mixed up somehow.

I would have been hard pressed to choose between them*. :D

* If of course either of them had been interested in young boys back in the late 70's which for legal reasons I wish to make clear that I am not suggesting. I meant if they were like they were then, now. But saying that, there is also very little chance that they would be interested in a middle aged fat balding man either while they were at the peak of beauty. If I am honest there is minimal chance that even now when they qualify for a bus pass that they would even glance at the likes of me, even if I sat next to thm on the said bus. Not that they probably travel by bus very often, or I for that matter.
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Mark S wrote:She was hot back in the day!

I always used to get her and Sally James from Tiswas mixed up somehow.

I would have been hard pressed to choose between them*. :D

* If of course either of them had been interested in young boys back in the late 70's which for legal reasons I wish to make clear that I am not suggesting. I meant if they were like they were then, now. But saying that, there is also very little chance that they would be interested in a middle aged fat balding man either while they were at the peak of beauty. If I am honest there is minimal chance that even now when they qualify for a bus pass that they would even glance at the likes of me, even if I sat next to thm on the said bus. Not that they probably travel by bus very often, or I for that matter.

The words "dig" and "hole" spring to mind 8-)
marky No.1

Postby Gnasher » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I would have been hard pressed to choose between them*.

but it would have been good to have been hard pressed between them ;)
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Next

Return to General Discussion