RESERVES.....WHAT IS THE POINT?

RESERVES.....WHAT IS THE POINT?

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:05 am

MORECAMBE FC RESERVE TEAM DID VERY WELL LAST YEAR AND FAIR PLAY TO THEM!!
BUT WHAT PURPOSE DO THEY SERVE, THEY ARE A DRAIN TO THE TEAMS FINANCES.

IF THERE WERE NO RESERVES, AND WE HAD A SMALLER SQUAD WE COULD ATRACT BETTER PLAYERS BY PAYING BETTER WAGES, SOME PEOPLE WOULD ARGUE THAT THE RESERVES SERVE A PURPOSE BY BRINGING ON YOUTH TEAM PLAYERS AND KEEPING SQUAD PLAYERS MATCH FIT BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THE RESERVE TEAM IS A VERY EXPENSIVE LUXURY THE CLUB CANNOT AFFORD.

WITH WAGES PLUS TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS THEY MUST BE COSTING THE CLUB A SMALL FORTUNE THAT COULD BE BETTER SPENT!

IF ONE OR TWO PLAYERS IN A SMALLER AND BETTER SQUAD WERE SUSPENDED OR INJURED LOAN PLAYERS COULD BE BROUGHT IN AT ANY TIME,(WE SEEM TO HAVE PLENTY OF THEM ANYWAY)

SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FOOTBALL EQUIVALENT OF A SECOND CAR?
PUNKISDEAD

Re: RESERVES.....WHAT IS THE POINT?

Postby Neil G » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:07 am

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE RESERVE TEAM IS A VERY EXPENSIVE LUXURY THE CLUB CANNOT AFFORD.

Are you sure about that ? How much exactly does it cost to run this "second car" :roll:
Neil G

Postby ezz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 am

The reserves are the legs the club stand on, take them away and the club will be gone altogether. Injured players or players that need to devleop or re-capture form are used in the reserves to help get fitness/confidence/experience depending on their level. Players we would like to trial play in the reserves instead of risking them in 1st team matches in case they turn out to be below standard.

That's the point of the reserve team.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Phoenix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:13 am

I'd like a second car identical to the one I have (with my luck some would say I need it). I'd use spare parts from it to keep the main one running. I'd try out any new parts on it before fitting them to the main car. If something went wrong on the main car, I'd have it fixed and fit it to the other one to make sure it was OK. Any spare parts I had, I'd fit them to the second car and use it occassionally to keep them in good working order.
Phoenix

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:18 am

WE HAVE A PLAYING SQUAD OF 25 ,LOSING FIVE OR SIX OF THEM WOULD LEAVE A LEANER SQUAD SAVING AT LEAST 70K PER YEAR, PLUS SUPPORT STAFF AND TRAVEL EXPENSES, THE RESERVES PROBABLY ACCOUNT FOR AROUND 10% OF THE CLUBS TURNOVER, THEY ARE NOT COST EFFECTIVE.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:28 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:WE HAVE A PLAYING SQUAD OF 25 ,LOSING FIVE OR SIX OF THEM WOULD LEAVE A LEANER SQUAD SAVING AT LEAST 70K PER YEAR, PLUS SUPPORT STAFF AND TRAVEL EXPENSES, THE RESERVES PROBABLY ACCOUNT FOR AROUND 10% OF THE CLUBS TURNOVER, THEY ARE NOT COST EFFECTIVE.

Are you privy to the wages structure of our club?

Even as a shareholder (albeit a very limited number) this is a subject that I and others are not confided in, nor would I wish to be in fairness, just as I would not expect you to be aware of my salary....exorbitant as it may be, or otherwise!
;) ;) ;)

...oh and by the way, I'd love you to identify those 5/6 players who are earning the ridiculously high salary of £14K... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:44 am

I think a more important issue would be that fact that the reserves play their games, supposedly to state their case to the mangement. Invariably, however, very few of them get promted to the first team regardless of how they perform in the reserves. My reservation this season is that we have a large squad of what would be termed 'bit-part' players in cricket, very few of whom appear as if they will set the league 2 world alight. I'd rather have a slightly smaller squad with better players.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:04 am

70K DIVIDED BY SIX IS 11,600 PER ANNUM BEFORE TAX, OR ABOUT £175.00 PER WEEK TAKE HOME PAY, SHELF STACKERS AT ALDI WILL BE ON MORE, SO I DO NOT NEED INSIDE INFO TO DO VERY BASIC MATHS, THERE ARE A LOT OF BETTER SUPPORTED TEAMS THAN US DOING BETTER THAN US WITHOUT RESERVE TEAMS!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:70K DIVIDED BY SIX IS 11,600 PER ANNUM BEFORE TAX, OR ABOUT £175.00 PER WEEK TAKE HOME PAY, SHELF STACKERS AT ALDI WILL BE ON MORE, SO I DO NOT NEED INSIDE INFO TO DO VERY BASIC MATHS, THERE ARE A LOT OF BETTER SUPPORTED TEAMS THAN US DOING BETTER THAN US WITHOUT RESERVE TEAMS!!

...you still haven't identified the 5/6 players OR told us where you get the £70K from.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 am

You've made some really good points in the last few days, but I can't agree on this one.

Admittedly, few players seem to come through the ressies these days, but I feel it's the same at most clubs. Drummond and O'Carroll have played a few matches in the reserves recently to try and regain match fitness, so the reserves are needed for that if nothing else, and for playing of trial players.

With respect, it would be great if you could turn your caps lock off when posting.
campdave

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 am

CC, TWISS PARRISH, STANLEY, LLOYD BELL, TAYLOR AND YATES DID NOT FIGURE AT ALL YESTERDAY,RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY, 2 ARE ON LOAN, TO PRESUMABLY KEEP THEM MATCH FIT, OR IN TAYLORS CASE TO GAIN EXPERIENCE, RECOVERING PLAYERS COULD BE LOANED OUT TO RECOVER MATCH FITNESS, TRIALISTS CAN BE LOOKED AT IN TRAINING, SORRY ABOUT THE CAP LOCK I NEED A NEW KEYBOARD.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 am

PUNKISDEAD wrote:CC, TWISS PARRISH, STANLEY, LLOYD BELL, TAYLOR AND YATES DID NOT FIGURE AT ALL YESTERDAY,RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY, 2 ARE ON LOAN, TO PRESUMABLY KEEP THEM MATCH FIT, OR IN TAYLORS CASE TO GAIN EXPERIENCE, RECOVERING PLAYERS COULD BE LOANED OUT TO RECOVER MATCH FITNESS, TRIALISTS CAN BE LOOKED AT IN TRAINING, SORRY ABOUT THE CAP LOCK I NEED A NEW KEYBOARD.

..are you seriously suggesting that Messrs Twiss, Parrish, Stanley, Lloyd and Bell collectively earn circa £70K?

By my reckoning that's an average of £14K per player!
Christies Child

Postby Aspers » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:05 pm

I thought a footballer at this level would be on a minimum of 30K a year.
Aspers

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:06 pm

£14,000 X 6= £84,000, NOT 70K, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT YOUR MATHS IS A BIT OFF THE MARK.
70K BETWEEN THEM WOULD BE ABOUT THE LEGAL MINIMUM WAGE FOR A 40 HOUR WEEK, SO I DONT THINK I AM BEING UNREALISTIC,
EVEN AS A MINOR SHAREHOLDER YOU WILL KNOW THE TEAMS ANNUAL INCOME AND WAGES EXPENDITURE ANYWAY.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 pm

PUNKISDEAD...

On message boards, BLOCK CAPITAL WRITING is considered to be SHOUTING. It's also hard to read on many monitors, so if you could unstick your CAPS LOCK button, it would be appreciated,

THANK YOU! :shock:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:19 pm

SORRY, AS I SAID EARLIER I HAVE A FAULTY KEYBOARD AND CANNOT RELEASE THE CAP LOCK, I APOLOGISE TO ANYONE WHO THINKS I AM SHOUTING, I AM NOT.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:34 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:£14,000 X 6= £84,000, NOT 70K, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT YOUR MATHS IS A BIT OFF THE MARK.
70K BETWEEN THEM WOULD BE ABOUT THE LEGAL MINIMUM WAGE FOR A 40 HOUR WEEK, SO I DONT THINK I AM BEING UNREALISTIC,
EVEN AS A MINOR SHAREHOLDER YOU WILL KNOW THE TEAMS ANNUAL INCOME AND WAGES EXPENDITURE ANYWAY.

If you think that seniors players at our football club earn the minimum wage then you are incredibly deluded.
The Red Knight

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 pm

The Red Knight wrote:
PUNKISDEAD wrote:£14,000 X 6= £84,000, NOT 70K, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT YOUR MATHS IS A BIT OFF THE MARK.

If you think that seniors players at our football club earn the minimum wage then you are incredibly deluded.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong PUNKISDEAD but by my calculations we are only talking about 5 players that are still on the wage bill now that taylor and yates are on loan.
So...£70K divided by 5 = Low and behold £14K... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:48 pm

THATS NOT MY POINT AT ALL, I KNOW THEY WILL EARN MORE THAN THAT, I WAS USING THE FIGURE AS A VERY CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATE TO WHAT COULD BE SAVED, WHICH REINFORCES MY ORIGINAL POINT.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Phoenix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Let's look at your two arguments. First, the excess of players in the first team squad. You say we need to reduce them in order to save money. Did you think about that before players went out on loan and before the news appeared Sammy was looking to off-load players?

The reserves. No idea how much or little they cost to have but take them away and you there's no incentives for the younger kids to aim for. If all Morecambe had was a first team, what aspiration would a 14/15 year old have of playing for Morecambe? Kids that see the reserves as a major achievement on their way to playing in the league.

You haven't mentioned what goes on below the reserves. The academy lads, college kids, school kids. They've all got teams and in each team they all aim to play for the one above them. Take away that ladder and you lose everything.
Phoenix

Postby Weetabix Kid » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:48 pm

I've read some crap on here, but thats right up with the worst of it !

I went to a few ressies games last year and enjoyed them more than a number of 1st team games !

How does a academy player (of which weve brought a lot through) make the step from youth football to 1st team football?

Go away till you get a new keyboard and have a clue
Weetabix Kid

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:56 pm

[quote="Weetabix Kid"]I've read some crap on here, but thats right up with the worst of it !

WHAT?

Even worse than some of mine?

Oh please!

:o :o :o
Christies Child

Postby morecambe TID » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:03 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:SORRY, AS I SAID EARLIER I HAVE A FAULTY KEYBOARD AND CANNOT RELEASE THE CAP LOCK, I APOLOGISE TO ANYONE WHO THINKS I AM SHOUTING, I AM NOT.

just wondering ... how did you get your password then because i always thought that you wern't to have the caps lock on ?
also known as kirsty =)
morecambe TID

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:28 pm

unless your password is in capitals in the first place?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:50 pm

Aaah.. thats better... new keyboard
nearly correct keith..my password is all numbers
weetabix person, a bit shirty, i am entitled to an opinion, taylor has gone straight from the academy to loan, twiss and stanley look unlikely to be in the first team anytime soon if ever...the reserves are very expensive and we are a very small team with a small fanbase
the academy was never mentioned in my post, the reserves are not filled with academy players.
PUNKISDEAD

Next

Return to General Discussion