**Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Re: **Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:32 pm

That was proper cringeworthy listening to it live this morning on Radio Lancs when Brian mentioned The Bay at the end of it ......... :?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Christies Child wrote:Talking of which, I'm embarraassed for our club about this delay more than disappointed.

Here, here! Although I can understand it being the other way round for the Club. After all, as Brian says, the Club is ready, its the Stadium that's not.

Seasider9601 wrote:That was proper cringeworthy listening to it live this morning on Radio Lancs when Brian mentioned The Bay at the end of it ......... :?

Give the guy some space, you've seen the reaction of fans (disappointing or embarassing it may be). Must have been very difficult to have a mike in front of you and not blow off steam!

Can't say that worrying which radio station it was would be on the top of his thought list right now.

Praise when you get it right, take the shit when it goes wrong :lol:
Last edited by marky No.1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby marky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Not heard the full interview obviously, but the snippet on the website makes for far better listening than the a**e licking press release on The Bay. I'm not sure whether to believe Brian Fagan when he says that we got the news as soon as they did. If it's really true that club officials only got 2 weeks notice than that smacks of incompetence of the highest order. On that basis I really hope it isn't actually true.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby parceldave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:32 pm

So the Club is ready for the 24th but the Stadium's not.

That's like going to St Andrews later this week and the R & A telling Tiger and the likes , " The Club is open but the Course isn't . :oops: :oops: :oops:
parceldave

Postby Shire Shrimp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:47 pm

parceldave wrote:So the Club is ready for the 24th but the Stadium's not.

It was interesting to hear Brian say this.

Of the two main organisations involved in the whole project - Morecambe FC and Globe Construction - it seems fairly obvious who has more experience and expertise in such construction projects. Given that, I think I know who I'd be looking to for answers about why there is the delay and why it hasn't been addressed sooner and also who I'd be directing my disappointment towards.

From what Mr Fagan said, it suggests to me that everything the club could do has been done/organised (recruitment, pre-season, open day, etc) in readiness for the 24th. However, for whatever reason, the stadium isn't ready - the construction has slipped behind schedule, which is surely the sole responsibility of Globe.

It might be different if the stadium was ready but there were no pre-season matches arranged, no catering organised, no staff on the turnstyles, no open day arranged, but the way I interpret his comments suggests that these were all in place.

Perhaps it wouldn't do any harm for Globe to release a statment, after all they are best placed to comment on the actual construction of the stadium, which is what appears to be causing the delay.
Shire Shrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:48 pm

according to radio lancs just now sammy mac refused to give an interview today ..sounds like he might be annoyed too
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Suzi Quatro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

I think some people need to acknowledge that it is not the end of the world. We have had a slight delay and this has disrupted things in the short term but we need to calm down becasue there are other things that are being shelved at the moment that impact on lives of more people like building programmes for schools as well as funding for play areas.
At least the stadium is going to be built,
Suzi Quatro

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 pm

Interesting to note that several contributors on here were concerned about lack of work being done on weekends, and that things seemed to be a long way from completion.

It would be helpful if Globe could illuminate the reasons for delay. We were looking forward to the pre-season games and an opportunity to wander around well in advance of the season getting underway.

The club must be hugely hacked off.
Caged Lion

Postby USA Shrimp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:21 pm

I have been watching from afar and it seems that in general folk are talking this rather well. It is not unusual (and usually the norm) for large construction projects to run over budget and to run late. Five or six years ago I was working for the Philadelphia Orchestra at the boardroom level when we opened a new concert hall. The building was supposed to cost 157 million dollars but ended up costing 180 million. Of the three concert halls inside the building only one was ready on opening night and the paint was literally still wet in many places. The third hall did not open until several months (almost a year) after the initial opening and many parts of the building such as offices, box office, janitorial closets, bars, etcetera weren't completely finished until two years after opening.

I am surprised that so many people are surprised that there is a delay. I am disappointed, but not surprised. A new building is just like a new pair of pants - it takes time to break in and there will be many mistakes and almighty cockups but we have to expect them. It is the price of progress, my friends. Our club's ground is a very emotional issue and it's okay to be upset and rant and rave but after blowing off steam try and step back and view it from another perspective.

I should be on Oprah, me. Never mind Dr. Phil. It's the USA Shrimp pop-psychology football therapy show! If only I could have a big star as my first guest. I know, I'll invite Aspers and he can bring all his celebrity chums along :D
USA Shrimp

Postby bigreddog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Shire Shrimp wrote:
parceldave wrote:So the Club is ready for the 24th but the Stadium's not.

It was interesting to hear Brian say this.

Of the two main organisations involved in the whole project - Morecambe FC and Globe Construction - it seems fairly obvious who has more experience and expertise in such construction projects. Given that, I think I know who I'd be looking to for answers about why there is the delay and why it hasn't been addressed sooner and also who I'd be directing my disappointment towards.

From what Mr Fagan said, it suggests to me that everything the club could do has been done/organised (recruitment, pre-season, open day, etc) in readiness for the 24th. However, for whatever reason, the stadium isn't ready - the construction has slipped behind schedule, which is surely the sole responsibility of Globe.

It might be different if the stadium was ready but there were no pre-season matches arranged, no catering organised, no staff on the turnstyles, no open day arranged, but the way I interpret his comments suggests that these were all in place.

Perhaps it wouldn't do any harm for Globe to release a statment, after all they are best placed to comment on the actual construction of the stadium, which is what appears to be causing the delay.

I have to say that is a very balanced and realistic post. and as USA Shrimp has said, we've all expressed our disappointment in our own way and now we move on. But I've seen nor heard any serious criticism of anyone involved with the club, least of all Brian who just happens to be the point man for the club and is very unlucky. we've got a great bunch of people at our club, and in my opinion the best set of directors anyone could wish for including a chairman who is such a gentleman that the one person he wants to open our new stadium is his dad.
everyone is entitled to be less than impressed. it's a PR disaster for Globe and there's no two ways about it. but all we can hope for is that they can now deliver on their promise to have it ready for the Coventry game ( given that the press were reporting everything was on track only 11 days ago forgive me if i believe they lack credibility just now, as Henry Ford once said " you cant build a reputation on what you say your going to do") but when it is finished the staff will have a manic time getting things into the stadium etc, stocking the shop , glasses in the bar the whole thing. if that's in the evening or on the weekend of the 23rd then I will volunteer to do what i can. no point complaining if i'm not willing to help later.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby shrimper » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:07 pm

MMmm? or perhaps there are reasons for the delay, there are slight disagreements about who is responsible but nothing too serious and neither side wants to fall out by mud-slinging. So they just get on with it, settle anything that needs settling like grown-ups and keep their relationship intact.

Maybe it's only when pushed into telling us 'who's to blame?' that the people being asked the question get a bit defensive when they'd rather just look at the positives and have a great new stadium in a month's time.

Nothing wrong with people on here being concerned but don't be too offended if, as I suspect, you don't get all the answers because those who could give them might think it serves no real purpose.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:10 pm

we are getting a newer, shinier christie park. we did not own that, we do not own the globe,
watching local footy will be the same as, the pre season games would have generated income, out of our pockets, we are now an established league team with crap support, so we should think ourselves lucky :lol: :lol:

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I could not afford to have a wedding do at the globe :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby bigreddog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 pm

I have to agree shrimper. what purpose would it serve to find an individual to excoriate or have a director run down the high street wailing and tearing their clothes. lets just agree its been a bit of a cock up and then get on with it. I do not believe myself to be entitled to any answers from the club or globe, lets leave that to an internal conversation, but I know enough about project management to draw my own conclusions if required.

lets just keep our fingers crossed its ready soon and leave it at that.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Curly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:That was proper cringeworthy listening to it live this morning on Radio Lancs when Brian mentioned The Bay at the end of it ......... :?

I must admit, i thought the same ;)
funny though when dj shouts " the bay? the bay? that was ..... reporting from Lancaster City" :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 am

I do realise that the hospitality issue is going to raise much needed revenue but is our core business not football!! Perhaps if the footie aspect of the stadium had been given top priority then we possibly could have worked round the other stuff (or maybe not - I'm no expert in these matters).

Hospitality will provide revenue 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Football provides revenue once a fortnight, 9 months of the year.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Dan.Campbell » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 am

Gnasher wrote:I do realise that the hospitality issue is going to raise much needed revenue but is our core business not football!! Perhaps if the footie aspect of the stadium had been given top priority then we possibly could have worked round the other stuff (or maybe not - I'm no expert in these matters).

Hospitality will provide revenue 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Football provides revenue once a fortnight, 9 months of the year.

Actually, football provides revenue much more than that. Over that 8 months period there are 24 home league games plus cup matches and friendles ( :roll: )

The core business is still football, or at least it should be. Football will provide more revenue than hospitality over a 12 month time period, 1 football match (tickets, sponsorship and merchandise) will probably equate to 2 weeks of hospitality revenue.
Dan.Campbell

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 am

Actually, football provides revenue much more than that. Over that 8 months period there are 24 home league games plus cup matches and friendles

The core business is still football, or at least it should be. Football will provide more revenue than hospitality over a 12 month time period, 1 football match (tickets, sponsorship and merchandise) will probably equate to 2 weeks of hospitality revenue.

25 teams in L2, when did that happen? It works out at just over 1 match per fortnight over 12 months and using your own maths, hospitality and football are not far off being even. Hospitality is essential though to support the football, turn losses into profits and increase the salary cap we have suffered in recent years. It's not just something else the football club can offer.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby shrimper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 am

You're right, of course, Dan. We are a football club and without that we wouldn't have the basis on which to 'build' the other stuff.

The point is now, though, that the football side is pretty well established within our catchment area. There are still great opportunities for publicising and marketing the football club and trying to attract more supporters and sponsors etc. but most people know we have a League Two club and everything that goes with that.

But the Globe Arena as a venue for other events is very new - and there is quite rightly a move by the club to make sure the bookings come in for parties, dinners, weddings, conferences, pitch-hire and all the other things that will bring in NEW revenue - which is the main point of the move.

So when Brian talks about it in those terms it doesn't mean we've stopped becoming a football club first and foremost.

Just that the venue and leisure 'complex' is the 'new' aspect that the club is wanting to tell the people of our district about - and beyond (given that both radio stations have a wider area than just Morecambe and Lancaster) - when it gets the chance.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Dan.Campbell » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 am

Gnasher wrote:Actually, football provides revenue much more than that. Over that 8 months period there are 24 home league games plus cup matches and friendles

25 teams in L2, when did that happen? It works out at just over 1 match per fortnight over 12 months and using your own maths, hospitality and football are not far off being even. Hospitality is essential though to support the football, turn losses into profits and increase the salary cap we have suffered in recent years. It's not just something else the football club can offer.

:oops: It probably happened the same time you found 3 extra months of football!

I appreciate that hospitality is severely needed by the club to progress both on and off the field. I just thought your initial post of "Hospitality will provide revenue 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Football provides revenue once a fortnight, 9 months of the year." came across as if the hospitality revenue is going to be substantially more than the football revenue, which it isn't.
Last edited by Dan.Campbell on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan.Campbell

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 am

Correct Glen. L2 football is established and we have to recognise the importance of the new venue as a 7 day per week venue, not a match day venue. The new revenue directly supports the football and will be as much of an influence to signing new players as match day revenue.

I would also expect the Globe to attract non-football people to the functions they put on and with some good PR, turn them into supporters. As much as I would expect supporters to consider the Globe for their do's.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Aspers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I know, I'll invite Aspers and he can bring all his celebrity chums along

I can start with the 2 young ladies I was having cocktails with last night after the Twyla Tharp show, both beautiful, both very successful 1 gay 1 available, how I wish I was 25 again and not married/old/fat etc, just for last night.
Just seen the weather for Philly Richard and looks like your in for a drenching of biblical proportions today, persisting down here in N.Y.
I think I can feel a Ramblings coming on, all this talk of gloom and doom is bringing it on, I can feel it, I can 8-)
Aspers

Postby scar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Dan.Campbell wrote:I appreciate that hospitality is severely needed by the club to progress both on and off the field. I just thought your initial post of "Hospitality will provide revenue 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Football provides revenue once a fortnight, 9 months of the year." came across as if the hospitality revenue is going to be substantially more than the football revenue, which it isn't.

Hospitality on matchdays is counted in to First Team Football revenue, the club are looking at increasing non first-team revenues though, a big part of that will be catering led business inthe form of Functions, Conferences, Banquetting etc. There will also be a Food & Beverage business (Bar) which I presume open 7 days a week, 365 days a year - all of this adds up to a good amount of income.

A lot of clubs have good secondary sources of income, Preston get a good kick from the NHS for office space use, Blackpool's until this year was actually more than their first team revenues. Football in general is a loss making business model, it's the add-ons that bring in the cash to keep the clubs afloat/in profit.
scar

Postby Sammy h » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Gnasher wrote:Correct Glen. L2 football is established and we have to recognise the importance of the new venue as a 7 day per week venue, not a match day venue. The new revenue directly supports the football and will be as much of an influence to signing new players as match day revenue.

I would also expect the Globe to attract non-football people to the functions they put on and with some good PR, turn them into supporters. As much as I would expect supporters to consider the Globe for their do's.

I think Dan was trying to say that football is ultimately our main business. We should have been concentrating on that side of things more!

You always have an answer for everything "Knowitall" is what you now go by.
Sammy h

Postby Gnasher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Gnasher wrote:Correct Glen. L2 football is established and we have to recognise the importance of the new venue as a 7 day per week venue, not a match day venue. The new revenue directly supports the football and will be as much of an influence to signing new players as match day revenue.

I think Dan was trying to say that football is ultimately our main business. We should have been concentrating on that side of things more!

If you know what Dan was trying to say then I think the title fits you better than it does me :lol: Not that I'm all that bothered these days, I only hang around to wind some of you up and while I'm interested in the Globe and wish the club all the success they deserve, I doubt you'll see me there.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Sammy h wrote:

..and how do we finance the future of our club. :?: :?: :?:

Oh.....silly me....from the Directors of course. Like we have done for the past 89 years!

Get real.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion