**Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Re: **Breaking News** - Globe Arena Opening Delayed

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:00 pm

marky No.1 wrote:If all the people that had logged on tonight had laid a brick everything would be hunky dory

A call to wayne perhaps????? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Blackburn shrimp

Postby Morecambe Player » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 pm

This is a purely personal point of view but whilst it's disappointing for everyone, not least the chairman and Globe themselves, the bigger picture is that The Globe Arena will be the home of Morecambe Football Club for many years to come. It is a huge improvement on Christie Park and everyone knows the benefits that the whole complex will have for the club and the community.

This is the start of a new era for the club, and it's something we should be looking forward to. Sure, the timing hasn't been kind, but like someone else said, 6 months down the line we'll be [hopefully] enjoying the new season with some good new players, as well as some good established players, in a new home with much better facilities.

So lets be positive, look forward to the new season, and get behind the board and the staff, after all, they're our family remember!
Morecambe Player

Postby ezz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Ah boohoo, your all just annoyed you dont get to go in it as early :D
Do we get a discount now?
All were missing is a couple of friendlies, which we can easily arrange to play away.
Frankly the less games we play at home for me as friendlies the better, will take more away from the occasion of our first competitive match in the Globe which will be amazing!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby MTID » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Sack The Board
MTID

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm

It is very dissappointing, not least to me who had arranged for the weekend off to travel up and view the new stadium.
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby Aspers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 am

Well you can't blame me for this. 8-)

Take the board down the beach and have a surf.
Aspers

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 am

Want to witness a bit of footballing gloom?
Come down to Pompey :shock:

All that money you'll be saving from those cancelled friendlies, why not invest it in making the opening league game at Wycombe a bumper crowd, and get those first 3 points in the bag :P
Last edited by Plain Peter on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Peter

Postby Aspers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:35 am

Just read the Chesterfield forum.
Not pretty but expected,
Here's the link

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=25587
Aspers

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:29 am

this is the only adult comment on there of concern, get your heads round this

Handover on the 6th; fullish house on the 10th. One full working day between the two. Good luck with the safety certificate!

health & safety are very powerful! there's no compromising with them, they can close the site/ground at the drop of a hardhat
George Dawes

Postby CASS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:10 am

On the up side the game at Netherfield looks a lot more interesting..God I hate that place :x
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby feelingguilty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:05 am

Frustrating thing for me is not that its late - major construction projects have a history of being late.

Everybody MUST have known this sooner - only 11 days until original release date. If this had been announced friendlies could have been sorted, plans made etc,etc. On a personal note I wouldnt of taken a load of grief from the wife for cancelling a weekend away to come and see the new stadium.

On a practical note just cant see how we will get the safety certificate before the Coventry game - possibly biggest crowd of season in a brand new stadium. - does there not have to be a couple of games to get the certificate?

The real culprits in this are those who knew and said nothing.
feelingguilty

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:31 am

MFC are a business, with an, albeit small, loyal customer base, they have told us they will not be open until the coventry game, if you dont like it , tough :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby ezz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 am

Lets face it thought apart from missing out on some pointless friendlies, what does this actually change?
We don't get to go in it as early?- I'd prefer my first experienec there to be a proper game.
Everyone is shocked its not ready on time?- Not really you only had to look at the stadium to see there was a good chance it wasn't going to be ready.
The squad don't get 'used' to the stadium?- couple of friendlies woudln't have done much.
Less friendlies?- Arrange some other away fixtures.
Who's fault is it? CC's everyone knows this
What can we do about it?- Enjoy the first game at the globe when it comes!
Whats that famous saying?- Good things come to those who wait!
Why am I typing?- Nothing better to do this morning at work :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Dazzer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:03 am

This would'nt be to much of a suprise if it was'nt for the fact they had already been given an extra YEAR to build it!!!! The fact that they had and still cant finish on time is to my mind absolutely staggering.
Dazzer

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:10 am

What I don't understand is the lack of work going on at a weekend surley if Globe new they they were behind they would be getting people in at weekend etc I walk past most days and there is hardly any activity on a Saturday maybe a couple of workman on site but that is all.

I took it from the lack of overtime going on that although the ground didn't look ready Globe must have been fairl sure it was on schedule or the site would have been a hive of activity at weekends, or is there no funds to pay overtime?

Also I wonder if we have penalties written into the contract incase the ground wasn't ready on time.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Duffman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 am

Trevor wrote:
Callum wrote:Keith you've summed it up and coming from someone like you it speaks volumes. It is a farce and what's worse, whenever it does get finished, it's quite frankly an embarrassment. I won't bother ranting on about the north stand (or lack of), the building down the side of the pitch (this has to be a world first for purpose built stadiums), the home and away terraces having the same capacity and perhaps worst of all (allegedly) no shed for the groundstaff! :lol:

I don't think certain posters will be using the phrase "leave it to the experts" anymore.

"The new home stand will accommodate 2234 standing spectators and will have bar and catering outlets in a large enclosed concourse to the rear of the stand.
The away stand will accommodate 1389 standing visitors and will have its own bar and catering outlet."

Apologies if I am wrong but the two stands look the same size, I take it back in that case.
Duffman

Postby Trevor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:50 am

They do - no probs I wondered about that at first but they've got a few rows of terracing less at the away end because everyone said they wanted the home end to have more people in.

Dont get me wrong this is not a good time for the club and mistakes have been made I think because ther plans have been chopped and changed so much over the past year to take bits out and redesign other bits I reckon as they've seen demand for sponsors boxes and other stuff.
Itll all get sorted though.
Trevor

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 am

DawZi wrote:this is the only adult comment on there of concern, get your heads round this

Handover on the 6th; fullish house on the 10th. One full working day between the two. Good luck with the safety certificate!

health & safety are very powerful! there's no compromising with them, they can close the site/ground at the drop of a hardhat

This is more of a concern that the games being cancelled it will be almost full for the coventry game even more so now that it will be the first game at the new ground will H&S even let us play it at the Globe or will the game have to be moved to another arena :?:
heysham_mfc

Postby bigreddog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:06 am

It's okay, don't panic, they've just announced that they've managed to finish it after all

Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby sgt major » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

Having heard and read the official statement I find it strange that the construction is referred to as the biggest hospitality and leisure project in this area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we were building a football ground?

I do realise that the hospitality issue is going to raise much needed revenue but is our core business not football!! Perhaps if the footie aspect of the stadium had been given top priority then we possibly could have worked round the other stuff (or maybe not - I'm no expert in these matters).

On a PR matter - if anyone at the club want to use our meeting room here at the York to address the fans, personally; it would be at your disposal.
sgt major

Postby Joel Ninety » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 am

How many tradesmen are currently not working on construction sites who could be drafted in to help out? Extra cost yes, but what happens when the first games of the season cannot be played because there's nowhere to play? That's going to cost a lot more in fines, deducted points, lost revenue and reputations.

So... move the matches to Trimpell? Sainsbury's car park?
Joel Ninety

Postby Martin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

Curly wrote:Has anyone looked out of their window lately?
People running around screaming, blood and carnage everywhere, it's like a scene from Mad Max!
Mothers throwing their children in skips, drunk on cheap gin, prophets fortelling the end of world,
in the distance four cloaked horsemen ride their steeds over the piles of festering corpses.
There's a lunar eclipse, dogs howl and cars burn, even the DFS sale is over!
"Whats happening,Daddy?" a young voice cries
"Morecambe have cancelled three friendlies, son"
:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

God, I thought you were being serious for a minute until you mentioned the DFS sale is over...as if!!! :roll:
Martin

Postby bigreddog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Sounds like BBC Radio Lancashire were a little less "open mike" than the bay, you can sense the disappointment in his voice though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/morecambe/8815136.stm
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 pm

bigreddog wrote:Sounds like BBC Radio Lancashire were a little less "open mike" than the bay, you can sense the disappointment in his voice though.

So the Club is ready for the 24th but the Stadium's not.

"We've failed to hit the target" As long as that sentence is'nt in Sammys post match interview I will still be happy
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:25 pm

bigreddog wrote:Sounds like BBC Radio Lancashire were a little less "open mike" than the bay, you can sense the disappointment in his voice though.

...even embarrassment when he was told that he was not talking to The Bay!

Talking of which, I'm embarraassed for our club about this delay more than disappointed.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion