Sammy's post match radio interview.

Sammy's post match radio interview.

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Totally bemused about the entire game.
Complained about the lack of quality in the final third.
Couldn't see it coming after the first half.
Our forwards didn't get going in the secong half.
We gave them the goals. Daggers created nothing.

Can't disagree with any of the above. However, he brought the players to the club claiming that the squad was stronger. More competition for places. etc etc etc.

Time for a bit of home truths.

The squad is NOT stronger. The defence has not had the major surgery that was claimed it would have. No creativity in midfield without Drummy and Stanners. We give goals away when not under pressure. Last clean sheet was 15 March. Haven't won a game since March.

I could go on but.......

I just hope that something happens between now and Monday but from what Sammy was hinting in his intereview I wouldn't hold my breath.

He's evidently going away to think things over. Just hope that the spats he's had with Drummy and Stannners can be put to one side and that both can feature in future games.

Rant over.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Sammy's post match radio interview.

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Christies Child wrote:
It's Sammy's call.

Hell.... even Fergie has his critics amongst the faithful at Old Trafford!

Make up your mind.
campdave

Postby fletch_al » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:31 pm

no mention of where the hell he was?
fletch_al

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
It's Sammy's call.

Hell.... even Fergie has his critics amongst the faithful at Old Trafford!

Make up your mind.

I take it therefore that you disagree with my comments..

It would be interesting to hear yours...
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Christies Child wrote:
I take it therefore that you disagree with my comments..

It would be interesting to hear yours...

I'm disappointed with the start, but looking at the teams we played, who have all earned 10 points each, I think we've had a bloody awful run. We're in the unfortunate position of what looks like some of the strongest teams in the league one after the other.

The side looks slow at the back, and in the centre of the park - teams with pace punished us last year, and are doing so again this year. It's easy for us to pontificate on what kind of players we do and don't need, but it's a lot harder for any manager to go out and find them. Personally, I thought today's match showed a lot of promise, especially the team that ended the match.

What I find most amusing is that you tell yesterday when Yates goes on loan that it's "Sammy's call", but then have a good old go at him and his signings today. Double standards from you? Surely not.
campdave

Postby marky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Campdave, are D&R one of the strongest teams in the league? Granted they've made an excellent start BUT I wouldn't describe them as anything like the strongest.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:58 pm

marky wrote:Campdave, are D&R one of the strongest teams in the league? Granted they've made an excellent start BUT I wouldn't describe them as anything like the strongest.

It's too early to say - people would have said the same about Hereford at the start of last season, but look where they ended up.
campdave

Postby Vinny » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:05 pm

CC, I think Campdave is suggesting your posts are inconsistant, giving one view last week and a different view now. I understand this is borne out of disappointment and frustration and obviously Sammy shares this because of course we want to start seeing winning ways.

It was good to see substitutes were made in the right areas today, and with time for these players to make some impact. It is just unfortunate the team that finished weren't the starting 11. I'm afraid that McCann didn't do anything positive for me, and lost posession at least 5 times. Sadly Carr wasn't much better, so mid-field frailties lost us this game again.

I think it is significant though that we have played 4 League games against teams that are at the top of the league and other than Rotherham, I don't think we have been out-classed or really out-played by any of them, even though the results have not gone in our favour. With the right mid-field I think results will improve.
Last edited by Vinny on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 pm

marky wrote:Campdave, are D&R one of the strongest teams in the league? Granted they've made an excellent start BUT I wouldn't describe them as anything like the strongest.

I have to agree. Dagenham have made a good start, but didn't look anything special at all. That's what is worrying about us at the moment, we looked even worse. Rallyed well towards the end, but too little too late; and not for the first time.
Martin

Postby marky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:30 pm

The other thing I would add, in CC's defence, is the fact that he's suggesting Sammy has got it wrong. That's not the same as it being Sammy's choice. Of course it's his choice. Personally, I think he's made wrong choices in every game this season, but there you go.
marky

Postby Dazzer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Sammy know's one hundred times more about football than I will ever know, that's taken as read.

But I am still going to take a hell of a lot of convincing that Ryan McCann is a better footballer than Stewart Drummond (Or Stanley for that matter).

You have to ask, are his team selections motivated purely for the good of the club, or perhaps tainted by personal relationships and issues?
Dazzer

Postby marky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm

His comments on The Citizen website say it all.

The Shrimps were beaten 2-1 and McIlroy stormed: "It is shocking. A few minutes at the start of the second-half killed us.

"But it keeps happening to us.

"Mistakes are being made and it has to stop.

"But at the end of the day I pick the team and as manager I have to take responsibility."
marky

Postby outsider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:57 pm

that last line is a bit worrying :o :shock:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby marky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:00 pm

It's almost certainly a heat of the moment thing. Too early to read between the lines on that front, but I still believe the chairman's notes in the first programme suggested he wanted us to move forward this season. We may, of course, still do that. I have my doubts, but I'd love to be proved wrong.
marky

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 pm

NO THOMMO + NO BAKER
NO JOE LEWIS TO BAIL US OUT WITH STRINGS OF MIRACLE SAVES OF GAMES WE COULD HAVE LOST
IMPROVING ON LAST SEASON WOULD MEAN AT THE VERY LEAST GETTING PLAYERS OF THE SAME CALIBER OF THE ABOVE, OR BETTER
AND THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ANYTIME SOON BECAUSE OF THE WAGES CAP AND A LARGE BUT AVERAGE SQUAD.
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:30 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:NO THOMMO + NO BAKER
NO JOE LEWIS TO BAIL US OUT WITH STRINGS OF MIRACLE SAVES OF GAMES WE COULD HAVE LOST
IMPROVING ON LAST SEASON WOULD MEAN AT THE VERY LEAST GETTING PLAYERS OF THE SAME CALIBER OF THE ABOVE, OR BETTER
AND THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ANYTIME SOON BECAUSE OF THE WAGES CAP AND A LARGE BUT AVERAGE SQUAD.

Probably the most intelligent post of the evening..and that includes my rant !
Christies Child

Postby marky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:53 pm

My sentiments exactly. Last season, we essentially had 3 people to thank. Joe Lewis, Garry Thompson & Carl Baker. It all went to pot when the former left and the latter went off the boil. This season, we don't have any of them, nor do we have adequate replacements. It's not coincidence. I'm not being a doom merchant, just a realist.
marky

Postby mazatec » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:57 pm

the trouble is he has bought players who are inferior .mccann a joke as is parrish and carr.
what on earth does he see in those players.

I feel sorry for hunter stanley and drummond who are class.

actually i would play stuart alongside big jim,
mazatec

Postby Aal » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:05 am

Drummy played in defence for the reserves in the game we lost 5-3 although he did look like it could work now and again.

I feel sorry for the likes of Yates, Stanley, Hunter, Drummond and co. They did nothing wrong last season and it seems they are being pushed out by inferior players.

Roche and Howe are 2 very good acquisitions but the rest are no better than what we already have :cry: :cry:
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Aal

Return to General Discussion